1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/20 4:23 p.m.

The engine in my truck debuted in 1965.  It retired in '97.

The one thing you have to do to use the '97 block for a '65 truck is to drill out the fuel pump mount as they just left it sealed up when they added EFI and the associated pump

Probably anything Lada. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/24/20 9:31 p.m.

Since the Beetle has the longest production run, I bet there's a part on it that didn't change from 1938. I just bet.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/24/20 9:48 p.m.

Cigarette/cigar lighters From decades earlier pop right in and work fine.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/24/20 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Well given Chrysler/Daimler/fiat ain't changing unless they have to... seen the same metal rad caps on them well into the 2010's...

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/24/20 10:52 p.m.

I'd bet it would be a standardised industrial bearing. 

There's probably a car from the 20's with a 6000-series bearing and a car from today still using that same bearing.

6202 is a super common size.

Whatever it turns out to be, it's probably GM. We bolted a T5 transmission from a 90s S-10 into a 1957 Chevy truck using the '57 bellhousing, an '80s Camaro clutch disc and a '90s Astro driveshaft. No modification of components necessary.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/25/20 12:51 a.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

Very long production run, but almost everything changed in the late 50s/ early 60s, and didn't really settle until 72/73 when the curved windshield arrived. The engines were basically the same design but they made a bunch of small changes so that while they'll mostly all bolt up in place of each other, almost none of the innards of an 1100 will fit in a later 1500 or 1600. That said, pretty much everything from the 1300 on (1957?) will be very interchangeable with any of the later engines. IIRC, the 1600dp was introduced in 1968/9 and remained almost entirely unchanged (with the exception of injection) until the end of production. Same innards, same car essentially from the introduction of the super. 

To your bet though, as far as I know (and I'm more "rabid fan" than "encyclopedia") nothing other than fasteners would interchange between my moms '59 (at least in its original state) and my '73. I'd be happily corrected though. 

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner New Reader
6/25/20 6:49 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Jay_W :

Very long production run, but almost everything changed in the late 50s/ early 60s, and didn't really settle until 72/73 when the curved windshield arrived. The engines were basically the same design but they made a bunch of small changes so that while they'll mostly all bolt up in place of each other, almost none of the innards of an 1100 will fit in a later 1500 or 1600. That said, pretty much everything from the 1300 on (1957?) will be very interchangeable with any of the later engines. IIRC, the 1600dp was introduced in 1968/9 and remained almost entirely unchanged (with the exception of injection) until the end of production. Same innards, same car essentially from the introduction of the super. 

To your bet though, as far as I know (and I'm more "rabid fan" than "encyclopedia") nothing other than fasteners would interchange between my moms '59 (at least in its original state) and my '73. I'd be happily corrected though. 

I believe the only part that didnt change was the crimped metal channel for the hood and decklid seals to fit into.  They were the same from 38 to the end of German production.  Late Mexican bugs moved the seals to the decklid and hood

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 8:05 a.m.

Do the current LT engines still use the same cam bearings as the original SBC?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/25/20 9:51 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Do the current LT engines still use the same cam bearings as the original SBC?

IIRC, the LS series engiens used 6.2 Diesel cam bearings instead of SBC cam bearings.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
6/25/20 10:08 a.m.

Porsche used this reverse switch from 1960 to 1998. I thought that was neat. 

https://9lf.de/gb/electric/44-reverse-light-switch-reverse-gear-switch.html

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/25/20 1:02 p.m.

In reply to cfvwtuner :

I learned something new! Gotta get my hood open and compare it to moms car. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/25/20 11:20 p.m.

That is one long running decklid seal...

This is a fun game. Thinkin  mercedes might be another outfit to mine for legacy parts.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q2gclVKnujE4OlfU969UZT9IwSiDheWKRcYma0zwVc7slaBOz3LiHLKX4dswLeyP