1 2 3 ... 8
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/6/23 8:06 a.m.

I went to lock your topic and accidentally deleted it, which makes me sad because one of the responses to that topic was a snippet of the forum rules prohibiting exactly that behavior. 
Here it is again for reference:

You will refrain from politics, religion, or droning on long after the rest of the party has walked away from a conversation. Not because these topics are delicious forbidden fruit that you can't have because the world has nambified and now sucks, but because it's rude, and rarely brings a conversation to a good end. Besides, although you can't see it, you look like a shiny happy person standing there in the middle of the room spouting and arguing with yourself. And shiny happy people are not fun.

Thanks, have fun, stay cool, etc.

Margie

edit: Screenshot of post with mod tools so any conspiracy theorists can see the lock and delete buttons right next to each other:

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/23 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

'Conspiracy theorists' LOL.

No need to apologize for emptying the trash bin, ma'am, but some of us definitely appreciate the transparency.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/6/23 9:44 a.m.

1)  Thank you for doing what you do.

2)  What does this button do?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/23 9:48 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Push it. Do it! DO IT! 

Q: what's GRM's favorite kind of ship?

A: [response deleted by admin]

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/6/23 10:02 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

1)  Thank you for doing what you do.

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to bomb you.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
9/6/23 10:11 a.m.

You really need a cement mixer icon on there, even if it doesn't do anything.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/6/23 10:16 a.m.

I'll reshare my bar analogy litmus test:

This forum is a lot like a public taproom. There is a big open bar for open public discussions (public topics). The bar is meant to welcome everyone for fun conversation. There are private booths in the corner for separate conversations (private messages).

Would your discussion be appropriate for the communal part of the bar at a pub? Or should you excuse yourself to a private booth?

The bartenders don't really care if you hold strong viewpoints on controversial topics. They care if you start sharing them at the bar in such a manner that it drives away customers. If two people at the bar start getting into a heated argument and everyone else is getting uncomfortable, the bartender will ask them to keep it down. If they don't listen, they'll be asked to leave.

A bartender kicking you out for being obnoxious and beligerent is not censorship.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/23 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

...unless you're looking for reasons to feel persecuted.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/23 10:45 a.m.

Put Em Up GIFs | Tenor

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/6/23 11:00 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

I'll reshare my bar analogy litmus test:

This forum is a lot like a public taproom. There is a big open bar for open public discussions (public topics). The bar is meant to welcome everyone for fun conversation. There are private booths in the corner for separate conversations (private messages).

Would your discussion be appropriate for the communal part of the bar at a pub? Or should you excuse yourself to a private booth?

The bartenders don't really care if you hold strong viewpoints on controversial topics. They care if you start sharing them at the bar in such a manner that it drives away customers. If two people at the bar start getting into a heated argument and everyone else is getting uncomfortable, the bartender will ask them to keep it down. If they don't listen, they'll be asked to leave.

A bartender kicking you out for being obnoxious and beligerent is not censorship.

Exactly.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/6/23 11:22 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Database Patching Revisited : Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit…

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/6/23 10:56 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
9/6/23 11:01 p.m.

Something that often helps me avoid drama on web forums or social media is, when I see a discussion or topic that might get heated, I ask myself what I am on that forum/site/etc for.  If it's not that topic, often I'll slide past it with the knowledge that I've saved my energy for use on better targets.  Not saying I'm doing this 100% right but at least I'm rarely involved in locked threads or angry discussions. 

There's great people using this site.  I like continuing to connect with them and I hope we all have a good time with it.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/7/23 7:42 a.m.

I don't find the moderation here to be heavy-handed. Y'all get away with a lot of baseless, opinionated commentary before the admins feel they need to step in. I'm frequently surprised some of the topics go as many pages as they do before getting the padlock.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/23 7:45 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Those are mighty rich words coming from someone who acts as if they personally are the sole proprietor of The Truth.

It's easy to think no one has ever effectively countered your declarations when you think everyone else on the planet is wrong.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/23 8:00 a.m.

And, actually, the only reason this forum differs from a bar is that the owners don't sell food or alcohol.

What they DO is provide a gathering space for relaxation, interaction, and entertainment, as a means of making some money.

Functionally, this place serves the same social role as the neighborhood bar does.  I think it is a perfect analogy.  And there is no reason for the owners to tolerate anyone who threatens to impact their livelihood.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/23 8:07 a.m.

That's a lot of words to say "I think I'm the smartest person I know and believe anyone that disagrees with me is an shiny happy person".  Numerous people have countered your arguments over time and you simply dismiss them as idiots each time. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
9/7/23 8:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Show/hide post

I come here because I like cars and motorsports.

I do not come here for politics. 

Please stop the shenanigans. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/23 8:21 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

You are missing the point. The point isn't are you right or wrong. I haven't read any of the bull E36 M3 that have lead to this thread. 

The point is your peers and the owners of the forum want you to chill the berkeley out. So if you are a reasonable person just pull the plug on this line of discussion. Talk about cars, talk about towing, talk about track events. If you want to argue the ills of the world go to Facebook, there seems to be high concentration of shiny happy people there that are more than happy to argue with you.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/7/23 8:24 a.m.
Duke said:

Functionally, this place serves the same social role as the neighborhood bar does.  I think it is a perfect analogy.

I'll be honest, the bar analogy doesn't work for me.  If this was a single Discord channel, sure.  Here it is absolutely possible to go off and discuss other stuff in an area (thread) reserved for that specific conversation, although still public.

IMO the problem isn't that there are a few combative misinformed idiots at the bar arguing with each other or sharing their opinions, the problem is that they keep barging into others conversations and choosing that as their next battleground.

wae
wae PowerDork
9/7/23 8:33 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Show/hide post

I come here because I like cars and motorsports.

I do not come here for politics. 

Please stop the shenanigans. 

Dude!  Cars rock, don't they?  And isn't driving a E36 M3load of fun!?

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/7/23 8:39 a.m.

At the end of the day, this is a PRIVATELY owned board. In a PRIVATE setting, its a PRIVILEGE to use  this space. PRIVILEGE does not guarantee "free speech" and "muh rights".  

if anyone does not like the RULES that come with a PRIVILEGE, YOU have the RIGHT to not participate or go elsewhere. 

i'll also go further and say that the thing that attracted me to GRM was the lack of fighting, bickering, attacking, flaming and general BULLE36 M3.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/7/23 9:02 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'll be honest, the bar analogy doesn't work for me.  If this was a single Discord channel, sure.  Here it is absolutely possible to go off and discuss other stuff in an area (thread) reserved for that specific conversation, although still public.

IMO the problem isn't that there are a few combative misinformed idiots at the bar arguing with each other or sharing their opinions, the problem is that they keep barging into others conversations and choosing that as their next battleground.

No analogy is perfect. I was trying to present it concisely.

If you want me to make it more accurate... okay... it's like a German bierhall with a bunch of long public stammtisch tables where people discuss different topics. People regularly get up and move tables.

They're still public discussions that are meant to welcome everyone, and so the patrons are expected to behave appropriately.

Frequently people come in trying to stir up E36 M3. The other people at the table regularly go, "Dude. Stop. This is not the place." When those people don't listen and start yelling louder, or when everyone gets up from the table except for two people yelling back and forth, the proprietors and servers sometimes have to step in and say, "Be quiet, or we're kicking you out."

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/23 9:06 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Something that often helps me avoid drama on web forums or social media is, when I see a discussion or topic that might get heated, I ask myself what I am on that forum/site/etc for.  If it's not that topic, often I'll slide past it with the knowledge that I've saved my energy for use on better targets.  Not saying I'm doing this 100% right but at least I'm rarely involved in locked threads or angry discussions. 

There's great people using this site.  I like continuing to connect with them and I hope we all have a good time with it.

I follow the same idea - avoid threads where I know it will go (or has gone) downhill. The problem is that the same people keep polluting threads on topics I'm interested in (like what EV would you buy today) and end up derailing them. 

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dTScHsGeJ4nv2nxXNvqVdLNoq0QRRnsxOHcVdvi6MehTjItYJYIHjr0x2OeD3hgG