1 2 3
stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/13/15 12:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Now a days when people say "modding" in the firearms community, they mean hanging a bunch of useless E36 M3 off of picitany rails....gotta be tacticool yo.

My dad was a high school shop teacher, but did some gunsmithing on the side. This is his sporterized 1903 Springfield .30-06. He also built the Mauser hanging below it for one of his friends.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/13/15 12:19 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Very impressive carving on the 1903, both look well done and should be very accurate. What caliber did he go with on that mauser?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/13/15 12:21 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

If I remember correctly CDI says that the 300 Win Mag mags will work and they will even do the mod when ordering from them.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/15 12:27 p.m.

Don't get carried away.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/13/15 12:27 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to stuart in mn: Very impressive carving on the 1903, both look well done and should be very accurate. What caliber did he go with on that mauser?

I think it's a .308 but don't recall for sure - I wasn't around that rifle very much.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/13/15 12:31 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

Hmmm, I'll have to look into this further. Is it required to run the AICS stock as well for them to work?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/13/15 12:44 p.m.

Nope you can get an insert to run the mags in other stocks. If I remember the insert is around $100 to $200 depending on manufacturer. There are some even higher.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/13/15 2:06 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: E36 M3, we had a group buy years ago for $50 cnc machined lowers.....I bought 4 of them. I still hate the AR chassis with a passion, but you can sometimes make $$$$$ building them. I sold 3 of the 4, and ended up giving the 4th to a friend for his wedding present. I still made $4-500 off them.

Were these 100% CNC'd by someone/business, or a bunch of folks had someone finish incomplete "80%" lowers? Having a FFL for manufacturing, and the facilities, you could probably make some money, but the market is pretty flooded. There .gov has started cracking down on "build parties," so if you're not "manufacturing" it yourself for your own use, you've got the potential to find yourself in an unpleasant situation.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
1/14/15 5:32 a.m.

Guys thanks for all of the suggestions. The reinforcement that an ad can be done roughly within budget is good to hear. I'm not into hanging 20 accessories off a gun; my definition of modding may be better stated as tinkering. Polishing all the internals, mounting more effective sights or optics, but overall a clean and effective platform for tin can elimination. My nugget looks mostly original but I have gone over all the internals to smooth out the operation, shimmed the sear to take out some creep, clearances the stock and forend to eliminate contact with the barrell, and put on mojo sights to improve the sight picture. As I said in my original post modding/tinkering with guns is a little more friendly to my wallet than cars, but still fulfills my desire to mess with something.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/14/15 6:45 a.m.

Right now, I'm looking at one of these:

Its a "JRC 9mm" (Just Right Carbines). As you may have guessed, its an AR style 9mm carbine. As far as "mods" go, most AR style rail attachments, sights, trigger reworks, handguards, etc. are supposed to work with it. Flash hiders are proprietary, but available. You can also buy conversion kits so it shoots 9mm, .40 and .45. Mags are Glock mags (except the .45, which I believe is a 1911 mag)

I haven't bought one yet, so I'm not quite ready to go endorsing it. But I've wanted a pistol caliber carbine for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. This may push me off the fence.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/14/15 6:51 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Here is the Blackout I finished over the weekend. That isn't the scope that is going on it that is just a red dot I have laying around that seems to end up on every build before I put the final optics or sight system on.

That's not fair. Weren't we talking about blackouts at one point?

Will
Will SuperDork
1/14/15 9:10 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

You might check out PSA's 9mm carbines. They have a lot fewer proprietary parts than the JRC.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
1/14/15 10:04 a.m.

Right now I am putting a Mosin together. Shaved the trigger see thats considered a real mod, Archangel stock, scope, bending the bolt handle.

Cheap rounds and big enough caliber to take out pigs and deer and whatever else made me do it. Plus, the wife wants to hunt next year, so she will use the old Savage Model 11.

I wouldn't mind an AR, but I can only get so much leeway on toys and guns. :)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/14/15 10:14 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Nope, they were made entirely in house at what is now one of my customers.....

The company themselves are die makers, but when the automotive industry collapsed here, they did those AR lowers for about 3 years just to keep the doors open and not fold.

And I know all to well about the rules of those 80% lowers, people are blithering idiots to go that route. As the lower is the transfer part on the AR, you can't manufacture your own(even from an 80% kit) without you or a final machinist you hire holding a manufacturer FFL license. It then needs to be serial numbered and transferred into your name via a normal dealer FFL and are still subject to background checks.

This is the same issue with that shovel AK someone posted earlier, you don't have the correct licenses for manufacturing, surprise, PRISON.

Will
Will SuperDork
1/14/15 10:34 a.m.
yamaha wrote: And I know all to well about the rules of those 80% lowers, people are blithering idiots to go that route. As the lower is the transfer part on the AR, you can't manufacture your own(even from an 80% kit) without you or a final machinist you hire holding a manufacturer FFL license. It then needs to be serial numbered and transferred into your name via a normal dealer FFL and are still subject to background checks.

Unless I'm misreading what you're saying, this part seems incorrect. Anyone can build a firearm for personal use, no SN necessary, so long as they're not manufacturing it for sale.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/14/15 10:38 a.m.

No, yamaha, you are mistaken regarding the 80%'s, the shovels, flats, etc. It is legal for you to manufacture your own firearm (in most states, as far as I know,) however, once you make it, you own it forever. You can't make it to sell without a FFL. You can make it for your own use without an FFL. The feds 'encourage' you to stamp it with your name, date, and a bunch of other stuff, but there is no law on requiring it. I suggest you look into some of the AK sites for the references to federal law on the matter. That's why 80% receivers can be sold. The feds determined that 80% <> 100%, but 90% =100%. So you can buy an 80% receiver and a jig and go for it, making your own AR lower, for example, or buy a bent AK receiver with no holes, rails, not heat treated and a bag of parts and make your own AK as well. You have to follow US law, which is administrative law, BTW, not law made by politicians, and that law says so many parts have to be US made or it is a foreign gun.

Where it gets fuzzy is "build parties" and shops that let you build your rifle on their equipment. The feds set up one of those and busted them in the PRC. That shop was really "in your face" about the whole thing too and kinda asking for it. Not that that is a bad thing, just that they have, uh, "large stones."

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/14/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Will & Dr. Hess already covered it, but as long as it's for personal use, doesn't have more than 10 imported parts (listed by ATF), and the finished product otherwise meets current laws, i.e. doesn't require special permission/stamp (short barreled rifle, machine gun, etc.), you can manufacture your own firearm from scratch or a kit with no legal issues. No identifying marks are required on the finished firearm, but they are "suggested." https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearms-technology.html#commercial-parts-assembly

If the DIY firearm is sold/transferred it must be marked in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92, i.e. manufacturers name, caliber, serial #, etc.

What I'm still a little fuzzy on is how & to whom it can be transferred/sold, when the law specifically states "not for sale or distribution?" Best as I can tell a Forum 4 might be required.
https://www.atf.gov/content/what-are-required-transfer-procedures-individual-who-not-qualified-manufacturer-importer-or

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/14/15 11:48 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Hmm, guess I am wrong....but how on earth did they let that loophole past on the whole background check thing?

Either way, I'd rather buy a finished lower that I didn't have to worry about.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/14/15 11:49 a.m.
Will wrote: In reply to kazoospec: You might check out PSA's 9mm carbines. They have a lot fewer proprietary parts than the JRC.

Thanks for the tip, but it looks like PSA is a conversion based off an existing AR, which (blasphemy, I know) I don't have. I'm also not crazy about the propriety mags. I like that the JRC runs Glock mags, which will still be available when 20 foot cockroaches rule the earth.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/14/15 12:24 p.m.

Be careful with terms like "loophole." There is only a "loophole" if the end goal is total confiscation of all private citizen held firearms, which ALWAYS starts with full registration (you want examples? Germany, England, Oz...) Then, yeah, it's a "loophole."

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/14/15 12:27 p.m.

Lee, that ATF page refers to NFA stuff, not DIY non-NFA stuff like a home built 1911. NFA stuff: Machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles.

Disclaimer: I ain't a lawyer. That way I see it: You build it, you keep it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/14/15 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Yeah, me neither, it was the closest thing I could come up with for "non-licensed manufacturer," in the ~10 minutes or so I spent looking. I edited "is," to "might be," in the above post.

While I have no intention of making one for profit, or transferring one (if possible), I'd do my due diligence to find the correct answer were I to attempt. The first link posted above kind of contradicts itself by making the literally bold statement "not for sale or distribution," and then stating what markings are required on the firearm before it can be sold or transferred.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/14/15 1:27 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
Will wrote: In reply to kazoospec: You might check out PSA's 9mm carbines. They have a lot fewer proprietary parts than the JRC.
Thanks for the tip, but it looks like PSA is a conversion based off an existing AR, which (blasphemy, I know) I don't have. I'm also not crazy about the propriety mags. I like that the JRC runs Glock mags, which will still be available when 20 foot cockroaches rule the earth.

Colt style SMG mags aren't proprietary and a 30+ SMG mag is going to be a lot cheaper than a similar capacity Glock magazine. I get it if you just want a dedicated 9mm carbine, but with a 9mm upper receiver, and a mag well adapter, you can convert back-and-forth between .223/5.56 and 9mm, kind of a 2 guns in one deal. There are several versions of mag well adapters and dedicated 9mm lower receivers even. Get whatever makes you happy, but don't let the AR platform/non-Glock magazine scare you off.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/14/15 1:36 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Be careful with terms like "loophole." There is only a "loophole" if the end goal is total confiscation of all private citizen held firearms, which ALWAYS starts with full registration (you want examples? Germany, England, Oz...) Then, yeah, it's a "loophole."

LoL.....a bit wrong there. For crying out loud, I want to abolish the NFA laws. Just surprising that the 80% thing even exists. I've always figured it would fall under the category of a whippit gun or other improvised firearms(perhaps just in my state?). Then again, none of these new things I've learned should surprise me considering the incompetent morons writing the laws.

Will
Will SuperDork
1/14/15 2:24 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: Hmm, guess I am wrong....but how on earth did they let that loophole past on the whole background check thing?

Because background checks are for transfers of firearms only. An 80% lower is not a firearm. If you take the 80% receiver not-a-firearm you've bought and make it into a firearm, no transfer has taken place. Same reason you don't need a 4473 to buy anything else that could conceivably be turned into a firearm (steel pipe, etc.).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
om3o2sisM04N8zm8vbVdlf7LRqXku693rBkXkZ6aQQsoml5KPCKPETCSXhOb5EN8