1 2
jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/20/08 10:34 a.m.

The things you find on the internet... (While not working)

From what I understand, the reflection of the Space Shuttle can bee seen at night traveling through the sky. I have read that it is super bright (brighter than the other stars) and moving very fast. The link (from NASA - not the car guys) gives exact dates,times and locations in the sky for viewing the Space Shuttle and The International Space Station (ISS)

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/20/08 10:42 a.m.

Well THAT'S cool.

Thanks for the link!

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/20/08 11:54 a.m.

Yes, it is quite visible, and pretty fast actually. I have clearly seen it even in a well lite suburb. Definitely cool when you can see both of them.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/20/08 11:57 a.m.

To me, what's really cool is seeing the shuttles up close, on top of a 747. I saw this in Texas, I think, (guess it didn't make that much of an impression?) , and was amazed to think anyone would want to pilot a 747 with that huge load...on the OUTSIDE.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/20/08 1:21 p.m.

nice link

thanks

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/20/08 1:29 p.m.

Cool! We'll be able to see both tonight starting at 6:12, 3 min. duration... definitely make a point to see it. Thanks.

Margie

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
11/20/08 1:50 p.m.

While seeing it in orbit is certainly cool, seeing a reentry is even cooler--especially at night.

Several years ago, my wife and I walked a block down the street from the apartment we lived in to watch a dusk reentry. The giant plasma trail had just dimmed when we turned around to walk back. When we got back to our apartment (a one-block walk), I flipped on the TV to see the orbiter on the ground in FL, with the ground crew already scurrying about it.

Houston is roughly 700 miles from Cape Canaveral. Think about that; it flew nearly 700 miles, landed, and stopped in less time than it took me to walk a block. And that was slowing down to come in for a landing.

I've also been awakened by the (twin) sonic boom it makes when coming in for landing when visiting my sister-in-law and her husband in central FL. That's not as cool.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
11/20/08 2:18 p.m.

what if your eye isnt naked?

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/20/08 2:24 p.m.

So yeah. How do I use the "Max elevation," "Approach Degree," and all that stuff? Can't wait to take a look for it tonight.

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
11/20/08 5:39 p.m.

Thanks, it was a clear sky as it went over Clermont Fl. on the way toward Daytona. Second time seeing it. Thinking they were still doing the space walk as it went by.

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
11/20/08 5:57 p.m.

They just said the Space Station turns 10 years old today. It has done 57,000 orbits in that time.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/20/08 6:05 p.m.
bigwrench wrote: They just said the Space Station turns 10 years old today. It has done 57,000 orbits in that time.

Woah... my brain is going bad.

I read that as "Space Starion", and was thinking "They launched a Mitsubition into orbit?!? Kickass!" I think I need to go home.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/20/08 7:53 p.m.

Thank you, thank you!!

My 7 year old and I were able to watch it go by tonight.

"That was really cool dad!!" <-- I never get tired of hearing that.

-Rob

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/20/08 8:10 p.m.

Cool!

I have 10 min until the ISS is visible.

My day of space nerdiness is now complete.

Just this morning I finagled my way into a tour of the "high bay" here at work. Its essentially a giant clean room where they assemble satellites.

ooo 8 min now gotta go...

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/20/08 8:24 p.m.

stupid fog...

jharbert
jharbert GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/21/08 6:23 a.m.

Two years ago when Discovery made the first post-Columbia night launch, we were able to see it during its ascent from here in Greensboro, NC. I was very surprised that we were able to see it from such a distance. From here it looked like a rusty red glow traveling incredibly fast. The sighting only lasted 20 seconds or so, but it was still very cool.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/21/08 9:00 a.m.

Holy crap that was cool. It came by right at dusk, so it was really easy to spot (hadn't gotten dark enough for 80 gazillion stars to come out.) 17,000MPH is berkeleying cool.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
11/21/08 9:22 a.m.

Tonight I've got a 4 minute window and the forecast is for clear skies (and Coooold weather)...

Game on! The kids'll love it, I'm sure.

I'm also wondering about the angles and such. I think I can muddle my way through it though...

Clem

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/21/08 9:46 a.m.

Lets talk about the angles. I need to figure them out too. Last night was all clouds (snow clouds) around here.

In Clems neighborhood the specs are:

ISS Fri Nov 21/05:38 PM 4 64 Approach: 21 above SW Depart:15 above ENE

Does this mean that if level is zero and straight up is 90, then 45 would be halfway down, resulting in 21* being 25% up from off the horizon. Does it work this way?

If it does then face SW and look 25% up from the horizon and expect that it will travel to your left (ENE) going no higher than 64* (or a little more than half way up from horizon.)

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/21/08 9:58 a.m.

That's how I read it, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

EastCoastMojo
11/21/08 10:01 a.m.

That seems to be correct. Linky

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/21/08 11:58 a.m.

I'm thinking, depending on how dark it is in your area, just look toward the southwest, and you can't miss it. It's the thing that's brighter than a star, and moving at roughly 17,000 MPH. We didn't have ANY trouble finding it last night.

EastCoastMojo
11/21/08 12:00 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I'm thinking, depending on how dark it is in your area, just look toward the southwest, and you can't miss it. It's the thing that's brighter than a star, and moving at roughly 17,000 MPH. We didn't have ANY trouble finding it last night.

LOL

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
11/21/08 12:11 p.m.

CAUTION - Nekkid eye not recommended, wear appropriate eye protection, watch for falling tools!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/21/08 12:13 p.m.

Crusing the UCF engineering lab a million years ago, there was a sign that read:

"DANG... (do not look into laser with remaining eye.)" That stuck with me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R33Abj1Tue2RCpiLcWvLW9mkXZ2KvnojjzIwJb8VplykADgQIWvRaL5oaoG4eWjH