1 2
96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/8/10 7:31 p.m.

Does anyone push the gas down harder when they see those signs that display the car's speed?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
3/8/10 7:36 p.m.

Yup. They help me see if the mods I made on my car are working by doing a 25 to 60mph roll without looking at my speedo.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
3/8/10 7:51 p.m.

I am curious how the freak out when speeds hit triple digits...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/10 7:52 p.m.

I saw one this saturday with red and blue LEDs on it.. exceed the speed limit by more than 5mph.. and they started to flash

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
3/8/10 7:53 p.m.

We had one locally that was a warning to show you your speed as you approached a tricky curve in the expressway. As a two digit sign, I wondered ... the answer is that it just shows two dash marks!!!

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
3/8/10 8:41 p.m.

They have them every few miles here during bike week. Too much traffic for cars, but we had a bike contest. One of my friends was able to go 10 over in a 35 mph zone. It flashed at him, too.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/8/10 8:50 p.m.

My town is sneaky about those speed signs. The cops will often put a cruiser about 50-100 yards behind the speed sign so they can nab anyone who accelerates through or past them.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/10 9:10 p.m.

They put one up across the street from my house, right around the time I finished restoring my minibike and bought a scooter.

It was a fun week!

Photobucket

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/10 9:48 p.m.

I need to find the one around here next time I'm out on the go-kart...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/8/10 9:49 p.m.
Woody wrote: They put one up across the street from my house, right around the time I finished restoring my minibike and bought a scooter. It was a fun week! Photobucket

Apparently only E.T. has to buckle up in your state.

WilberM3
WilberM3 New Reader
3/8/10 10:16 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I saw one this saturday with red and blue LEDs on it.. exceed the speed limit by more than 5mph.. and they started to flash

the ones ive seen lately do that too... anybody know what that means? simple warning or camera function for front plates perhaps?

i was checking for proper function at WOT last time i passed one and saw it flashing back at me. ive been kind of waiting for a ticket in the mail since.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
3/9/10 2:05 a.m.

They come in handy for checking the accuracy of British speedometers.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
3/9/10 2:22 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I saw one this saturday with red and blue LEDs on it.. exceed the speed limit by more than 5mph.. and they started to flash

ALL the ones around here do that.

It makes me feel like a rock star.

footinmouth
footinmouth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/9/10 5:37 a.m.

I wonder if they are there to get an average speed ? I have held 1 mph from spotting the sign.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
3/9/10 6:15 a.m.

I've always wanted to hitch one up and put it in the garage. That would be a HUGE hit at the next auto cross.

924guy
924guy Dork
3/9/10 7:34 a.m.

http://www.radarguns.com/decatur-radar-guns-trailersst.html

$8460 plus ship for a three digit display model, brand new ofcourse.

i bet i could build one for under $200....

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
3/9/10 10:42 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: I've always wanted to hitch one up and put it in the garage. That would be a HUGE hit at the next auto cross.

They had one setup at the kart track for one of the big events in Florida back in January. My son kept telling me what his speed was and I had to tell him to quit watching the silly thing!!! :-)

One in an autocross, if the drivers can see it, would probably be really distracting.

-Rob

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/9/10 10:57 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: We had one locally that was a warning to show you your speed as you approached a tricky curve in the expressway. As a two digit sign, I wondered ... the answer is that it just shows two dash marks!!!

I've always wondered, and was determined to find out if they'd ever put one in a good spot for that. I've yet to get a good opportunity.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
3/9/10 11:02 a.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I've always wanted to hitch one up and put it in the garage. That would be a HUGE hit at the next auto cross.
They had one setup at the kart track for one of the big events in Florida back in January. My son kept telling me what his speed was and I had to tell him to quit watching the silly thing!!! :-) One in an autocross, if the drivers can see it, would probably be really distracting. -Rob

One of the local club guys has a radar gun that he set up in a couple different spots throughout the day at one of our autocrosses, and they posted the speeds when they posted the times. I had the second fastest speed through the slalom of any production car in my 16v Rabbit challenge car! The only car faster was a HIGHLY modded 911.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/10 11:12 a.m.

One thing to keep in mind - if one of those signs pops up in your neighborhood, it'll often be the first step towards more enforcement. Expect a cruiser to be hanging around soon.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/10 11:44 a.m.

I wish they would. Too many idiots cutting through my neighborhood neglect to negotiate the curve at my place and wind up in the woods (thankfully I am on the inside of said curve.. the only one for TEN miles)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/10 11:49 a.m.
Keith wrote: One thing to keep in mind - if one of those signs pops up in your neighborhood, it'll often be the first step towards more enforcement. Expect a cruiser to be hanging around soon.

Quoted for truths. Consider those signs a warning shot.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/9/10 3:01 p.m.

Many of the signs show up to the posted speed only then show 'too fast" or nothing at all. Apparently they're on to our test sessions.

Consider those signs a warning shot.

True that. Usually means that traffic engineering investigation is coming. Especially if followed by the rubber hose counters lying across the road.

Funny, I was passing a vehicle in the AM on the way to work. As I pulled out I saw the sign that my detector found. Standing next to it was a cop! He had just put it up and pointed me over to stop--which I did. He wasn't happy, but had no speed on me as he was using just such a sign as I described. So no actual speed recorded! He was fuming but couldn't keep me and didn't. Phew!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/9/10 3:04 p.m.

Speed trap? Top this one.Two Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of Oceanside , San Diego , California .

One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill. The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour and climbing.

The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then it suddenly turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near this, it's home base location.

Back at the California Highway Patrol Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the US Marine Corps. Base Commander for shutting down his equipment.

The reply came back in true USMC style:

'Thank you for your letter.

You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down. Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location. Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech. Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.'

Semper Fi

Jake
Jake HalfDork
3/9/10 4:55 p.m.

lulz

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aZee844vXE2C2dulVak8NJVQ2G9EXeUornvgKGe0X99IskiTvYCXSBo21TKFCgNi