1 2 3 4
bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/29/09 1:11 p.m.

Food for thought - no personal favorites here.

Rolling Stone's 10 Greatest Albums of All Time (what - no Ramones??):

1 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Beatles 2 Pet Sounds The Beach Boys 3 Revolver The Beatles 4 Highway 61 Revisited Bob Dylan 5 Rubber Soul The Beatles 6 What's Going On Marvin Gaye 7 Exile on Main St. The Rolling Stones 8 London Calling The Clash 9 Blonde on Blonde Bob Dylan 10 The Beatles (The White Album) The Beatles

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
7/29/09 1:18 p.m.

Back in Black

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/29/09 1:33 p.m.

Scott > Johnson.

But yeah, Powerslave is pretty tough to beat.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
7/29/09 1:40 p.m.

AC/DC Back in Black

you may choose either side.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/29/09 1:44 p.m.

Back in Black is a series of good guitar intros.

(although Brian is a super cool guy in person...)

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
7/29/09 1:46 p.m.

As someone who owns a record player and has a seperate stereo (vintage marantz) for the sole purpose of listening to l.z. and floyd on, I agree that side 1 of zoso is unbeatable!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin PowerDork
7/29/09 1:52 p.m.

I'm not a giant Van Halen fan, but their first album was pretty earth-shattering:

"Runnin' with the Devil" – 3:35† "Eruption" (Eddie Van Halen) – 1:42 "You Really Got Me" (Ray Davies) – 2:38† (originally performed and recorded by The Kinks) "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" – 3:49† "I'm the One" – 3:46

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/29/09 4:47 p.m.

As far as epic records i support London Calling, but i also proffer "nevermind the bullocks" from the pistols.

Rojofro
Rojofro New Reader
7/29/09 5:05 p.m.

Rush 2112. But only if the topic is more specific ----> "Stongest album side (EVAR!) played downstairs in the basement on your dad's Marantz system stoned outta your skull".

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/29/09 5:16 p.m.

This might not be a side but one helluva 1-2-3 punch off of Thriller: Thriller, Beat it, Billie Jean.

Metallica: Master of Puppets: Side 1: Battery, Master of Puppets, The Thing That Should Not Be, Sanitarium Side 2: Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Orion, Damage, Inc.

Steely Dan: Aja: Side 1: Black Cow, Aja, Deacon Blues Side 2: Peg, Home at Last, I Got the News, Josie.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/09 6:15 p.m.

Steely Dan: Aja: Side 1: Black Cow, Aja, Deacon Blues Side 2: Peg, Home at Last, I Got the News, Josie.

Winner.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/29/09 6:31 p.m.

Its wuss rock, but James Taylors Sweet Baby James, Side One.

Or Elton John, 11-17-70, Side one... but no one even knows that album even exists

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/29/09 6:48 p.m.

pretty much any Stevie ray vaughn, this Twisted Sister album, and Rage against the Machines self titled album. good stuff

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/29/09 7:18 p.m.

Boston's Boston, side A: 1. "More Than a Feeling" 2. "Peace of Mind"
3. "Foreplay/Long Time"

already mentioned Van Halen's Van Halen side A

Led Zep 4 side A is good

but heres the one to throw you old guys right out of the conversation:

Tool's "Undertow", "Aenima", and "Lateralus"

alex
alex UberDork
7/29/09 7:53 p.m.

Isaac Hayes, Hot Buttered Soul, Side 2.

1.) One Woman (5:00)
2.) By The Time I Get To Phoenix (18:40)

Glorious! (Side 1's good, too. It has Walk On By (12:00) and Hyperbolicsyllabicsequaldalymistic (9:55))

Also, Side 2 of James Brown's Hot Pants is phenomenal.

I considered Side 1 of IV as well, but it was immediately disqualified for the inclusion of The Battle Of Evermore. No one actually likes that song.

Luke
Luke UberDork
7/29/09 8:37 p.m.

Agreed with London Calling.

On a Clash note, I think Joe Strummer and the The Mescaleros' 'Streetcore' is equally impressive. Not sure about sides, though, I've only got it on CD.

orphancars
orphancars HalfDork
7/29/09 8:57 p.m.

AC/DC.............yes!

The missus and I have this, ahem, discussion all the time.

Her: Back in Black, side 1

Me: Highway to Hell, Side 1

I think they're both covered in win sauce, depends on who you like, Scott or Johnson............

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/09 9:05 p.m.
RossD wrote: but heres the one to throw you old guys right out of the conversation: Tool's "Undertow", "Aenima", and "Lateralus"

I'd have to vote for Aenima out of those-3...of course we used to play Stinkfist in my band BITD.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder PowerDork
7/29/09 9:21 p.m.

That wasn't the question though...we're talking about specific album sides. Tool albums are complete events and in the CD era--can't really chose a side there.

Well, unless you're OGT in a beastie T from the first EP.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/29/09 9:25 p.m.

k...Metallica black, tape side a

• Blackened
  • ...And Justice for All
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • One
  • Shortest Straw

got me thru most of freshman year being a music geek at a boys high school known exclusively as a sports school

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
7/30/09 8:30 a.m.

I pulled out Undertown and Aenima the other day and rediscovered and fell back in love with Tool. Aenima, wow what a tour de force..!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
7/30/09 8:31 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: As far as epic records i support London Calling, but i also proffer "nevermind the bullocks" from the pistols.

This!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/30/09 9:06 a.m.
alex said: (Side 1's good, too. It has Walk On By (12:00) and Hyperbolicsyllabicsequaldalymistic (9:55)

A_mother_berkeleying_men. And I suppose I'll never understand the love for Back in Black.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/09 10:26 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
Keith wrote: I've always felt Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" and U2s "Joshua Tree" were two of the most complete albums ever. Both were released on CD when new, so they don't have sides
They were released on vinyl too, with a poster included!

This may be true, but they were intended to be released on CD without the limitations of vinyl. Brothers in Arms suffered a fair bit in order to get squeezed on the old medium.

minimac
minimac UltraDork
7/30/09 10:34 a.m.
RossD wrote: Boston's Boston, side A: 1. "More Than a Feeling" 2. "Peace of Mind" 3. "Foreplay/Long Time"

While that's pretty darn strong, I have to go with Deep Purples' Machinehead:

Highway Star

Maybe I'm a Leo

Pictures of Home

Never Before

Smoke on the Water

Lazy

Space Truckin'

The absolute best riffs in history!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners