1 2 3 ... 5
cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/4/10 8:35 p.m.

This weekend we went from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa for an Easter family picnic. This is the most boring drive in the world. I-75. The way up- go west for 105 miles, bear right, go another 175 miles, you are there. Straight roads, no curves, no hills. Left FtL at noon, by the time we got there I was falling asleep at the wheel. Coming back, after a big meal, I was worried, so I bought 2 red Bulls. Oh, THAT worked!. Face was flushed, absolutely no fatigue until almost home. So- What is the downside to this stuff? Any effect on blood pressure? Is this a product that should only be used in unusual circumstances, or is it as safe as a stiff coffee? Advise. I'm still wide awake.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey New Reader
4/4/10 8:41 p.m.

I wouldn't drink more than 2 in a 24hr period but then again I also don't aspire to have a heart attack.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/4/10 8:47 p.m.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/15-07/st_redbull

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/4/10 8:58 p.m.

There was a study done in Australia within the last year where they had people drink a Red Bull, then they ran blood tests immediately afterwards. They found concentrations of chemicals/substances that under normal circumstances would have warranted an immediate admission into the hospital.

Not to say i don't drink energy drinks. But definitely not more than one a day, and never more than two a week. I'm paranoid about all that.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/4/10 8:59 p.m.

My personal favorite energy type drink other then coffee is Bawls.

Dosent have the harsh bile taste of Redbull or the liquid gummy bear taste of many of the others.

My other problem is that most of the time energy drinks come in MASSIVE cans that are a bit more then I need in the caffeine department. I end up looking like this , but it could be that I have tried to reduce my caffeine use to only when needed to wake me up (a few times a week) and I have a high sensitivity.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/4/10 9:02 p.m.

I don't drink that stuff. I don't even want to taste test the new ones that come out. I stay FAR away from that. One of those and I wouldn't sleep for 2 days.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
4/4/10 9:06 p.m.

What no Vettel or Webber references

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/10 9:09 p.m.

I do not even do caffiene in my sodas, nor do I drink coffee

924guy
924guy Dork
4/4/10 9:09 p.m.

I know at least two people who have bad reactions to it, one went into anaphylactic shock after drinking just one and almost croaked. the second had a few mixed with booze, similar result.. they aint for everyone...

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
4/4/10 9:13 p.m.

I did a 9 hour road trip in oct. had 2 coke's and 2 monsters. That kept me going for the whole trip(it was 9 hours each way). On most days I only have one coke,...But thats me

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/10 9:13 p.m.

I like Red Bull because they sponsor so many cool things (Flutag, Reno Air Races, Pastrana's Rally America car, F1, etc, etc). I drank my first one on my first cross-country drive and hated the taste but loved the of it. Since then the taste has actually grown on me. I've tried all of the other big names (Monster, NOS, etc) and they all tasted like stale Mellow Yellow. I still drink the things on slow/crazy work days, but I think I'm immune to the effects by now.

A tip is to get the small Red Bull (not the little shot-glass one, the 2/3 Coke can one) in Sugar Free. Good stuff and just the right amount of

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/4/10 9:21 p.m.

Yeah, I bet they can afford to sponsor a lot of stuff. The stuff costs virtually the same to make as cheap soda pop and sells for a buck a 8 oz can.

P71, have you tried Red Rain? It's very popular on Canada.

stroker
stroker Reader
4/4/10 9:21 p.m.

never tried one... doesn't sound like I've missed much.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/4/10 9:23 p.m.

I drank 8 in one day at a Mini Baja Race. Hey they brought a Pinzgauer and it was free.

I didn't sleep well that night.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/4/10 9:25 p.m.

I drank one once, then I vibrated for about 24 hours. I haven't had the guts to try another.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/10 9:35 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Yeah, I bet they can afford to sponsor a lot of stuff. The stuff costs virtually the same to make as cheap soda pop and sells for a buck a 8 oz can. P71, have you tried Red Rain? It's very popular on Canada.

Try $2.50 for 8 oz.

I have not tried Red Rain. I am really trying to ween myself off of this stuff and Diet Coke, but I work in an office with no windows

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/4/10 9:35 p.m.

Maybe I've had too many, but I find the effects of those energy drinks to be minimal, compared to a proper coffee.

On the other hand, the little energy 'gel' sachets that cyclists (and presumably other athletes) use, pack a real mean punch .

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/10 9:49 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: What no Vettel or Webber references

Maybe Webber drinks that stuff before the races and that's why he attempts so many low-percentage passes?

I've not found any "energy drink" that doesn't taste like cough syrup. I get my caffeine from Diet Coke.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
4/4/10 9:55 p.m.

I stay far, far away from any of that crap. All of my friends drink it, and it really screws them up (they don't notice it, though).

An acquaintance of mine drank 3 monsters in one sitting a few years ago. He was really small back then (5' and well under 100 lbs.). He crashed after an hour, so bad he couldn't walk. We got him a wheelchair to take him to the next class.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
4/4/10 10:01 p.m.

I use it for autocross, particularly when my group is running like 5 hours after I get there and it's blistering hot and I have zero focus left after coneheading a 53 driver heat which also has the FJ karts...

Drink a Red Bull while I'm warming the car up and setting inflation. It's good for 1/2 second or better.

I'll have one before the after-lunch sessions at track days too.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/4/10 10:13 p.m.

It's now after 11:00PM. I ass tired, but still buzzed. Need to go to sleep soon. Maybe an herbal will help. Hehheh. Rum has not.

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
4/4/10 10:15 p.m.

I prefer Viso

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/4/10 10:27 p.m.

They taste like what I imagine goat-piss would taste like. All of them. The orange flavor is a little better, but bleah. Give me coffee, but thats it. I can't do carbonation, except for beer.

I do drink it if nothing else is available and its free and i need to do a study binge. But thats it.

flountown
flountown New Reader
4/4/10 10:28 p.m.

I don't mind the taste, and think I have long since been immune to stimulants and depressants, not sure why, sometimes I get a reverse reaction, codeine wires me, and caffeine can't keep me awake...but on the other hand, I really REALLY hope my buddies and I get chosen for the FLUGTAG in Philly this year.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
4/4/10 10:39 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I drank one once, then I vibrated for about 24 hours. I haven't had the guts to try another.

Same here! A fellow at work brings a 4 pack of Red Bull and has one open nearly all the time. I run circles around him all day! One day he convinced me to try one and I literally vibrated...could not focus my eyes and would not stop talking! I could not work...could not drive to go home... so they gave me a big bottle of Windex and sent me out to clean the windows of everyones car. Had an awkward moment when I was doing the inside of a Rav 4 that belonged to a customer, but they were nice about it. I still don't think they were convinced that I wasn't "special".

I think my reaction may not have been typical.

Bruce

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2YK0fPNVC75t7C19s9HVsr62v0CsIPbp68hWNJnZcnfm4AKZ49eJCCVKvYSY5yM7