1 2
classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
3/6/18 8:00 p.m.

I'll start. I've been looking for a decently priced finger brake lately on the usual channels. As bad as people are at listing/typing correct descriptions, I've taken to just searching manufacturer names. Today I search Di Acro, and came across a Corner Notcher (with stand) for a song. First google search brought up eBay results with a Buy it Now price of $1125. Needless to say I now own a notcher. Still looking for a finger brake though..

We're full of enablers here - who's next?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/6/18 8:14 p.m.

I paid about a kilobuck for a Nibbler medium at an auction sale, after watching too many Jesse James fabrication videos.  So far, I've made a circle.  Like this:

http://www.adverts.ie/heavy-machinery/nibbler-medium/9007373

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
3/6/18 8:52 p.m.

Swag Offroad finger brake is really good for the money 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/18 10:04 a.m.

I just bought a whole pile of Miata parts I don't need. But I'm trying to share the love.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/7/18 12:28 p.m.

100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500 program from 2016 cause it was as a $1 at Half Price Books today. We’re they $25 originally?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/18 2:36 p.m.

Pretty much everything i have.  I’m trying to be less of a sucker for a deal and have repeatedly passed up cars and engines lately.  I’m making progress.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/18 3:28 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

I've been looking for a finger brake for years. They just don't come along all that often, and they are never cheap.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/7/18 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I bought one a few years ago from Woodward Fab.  50 inch.  It was probably way too much money for a backyard shop, but it works pretty nicely for me, and I do charge out one or two jobs a year on it...

Edit:  Wow.  I either spent money more easily back then, or its gone up in price.  http://www.woodwardfab.com/product/wfb5014-r/

Second edit- Mine doesn't have the bottom fingers.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/7/18 3:37 p.m.

There's a turbo down in the car port that won't fit anything I own. 

I will always argue I needed the tools regardless, but I'm really bad at impulse buying things just because they're bizarre or on sale

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/18 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Woodward also has a small one, made in China, for around $300. It seems like they have one on display at every car show and swap meet that I go to, but they have none for sale on the spot, so I've never pulled the trigger.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
3/8/18 8:22 a.m.

I have an np205 transfer case sitting in the garage that I bought off CL. I do not currently own, nor have I ever owned a vehicle that it would bolt directly into. 

Same goes for all flat head ford stuff I have sitting around, and the maverick parts, but those were free. I really need to have clearance sale. Maybe this spring.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/8/18 9:04 a.m.

I made an impulse buy recently at Home Depot:

Ryobi One 1/2 300ft lb impact, with the 4AH battery, charger, and carrying case, for $99. At that price, I figured it would be good for small jobs. I got to use it a couple weeks ago, and it is pretty nice! Gun alone with no battery usually goes for $119, battery and charger are usually another $70-100. I think I did well. 

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
3/8/18 10:31 a.m.

Where was that deal?? I would have gone for something like that too!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/8/18 4:10 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Once my brother needed a 4-speed tranny for his 1964 Impala and the gas station owner’s brother he worked for had three rebuilt Muncie rock crushers sitting in his mom’s basement waiting for a quick sale.  

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/18 6:23 p.m.

I really didn't need another set of bookshelf speakers, nor another turntable...

captdownshift
3/8/18 6:24 p.m.

And I probably didn't need this...

captdownshift
3/8/18 6:25 p.m.

captdownshift
3/8/18 6:25 p.m.

Or this...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/18 10:21 p.m.

I looked at this, brought it home

And I don't mean the truck. Too much time on GRM?

First autocross is April first. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/10/18 12:57 a.m.

I think I may have been startled into avoiding this issue with today's (er, now yesterday's) eBay coupon. I know there are some candidates, but I couldn't focus on anything in time to sort it out. Summit had the Wheel Vintiques wheels I want for the Ranchero listed, but their eBay prices were far enough above their normal prices to negate the coupon.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/18 7:26 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I looked at this, brought it home

And I don't mean the truck. Too much time on GRM?

First autocross is April first. 

Oh jesus I’m in love 

and i don’t mean the miata.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/10/18 7:54 p.m.

5 piece tool set from Lowes for $12.. I have many tools in garage but nice to have a tool stash in the house to prevent trip to said garage..

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/10/18 9:25 p.m.

My sheet metal break followed me home for the price of : get it out of my sight.

Relatedly, an odd search for: "Bender" on CL caused this lil guy to follow me home.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/18 9:41 p.m.
Brotus7 said:

My sheet metal break followed me home for the price of : get it out of my sight.

Relatedly, an odd search for: "Bender" on CL caused this lil guy to follow me home.

What am I looking at here? That looks like something I need!

I bought a 6*48 belt sander with a 9" disk sander because I got a good deal on it. I imagine it will be useful but I went to get a drill press and got a package deal on both!

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/10/18 9:46 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

It's a Rogue Fabrication tube bender for roll cages.  I got it when I thought I was right around the corner from building the roll cage for my Locost/Lotus 7 replica.  Well, not all things pan out that way.  It'll probably get used to build a roll cage for a Europa first.

I have that very same HF sander.  I got mine from the "returned' rack at HF.  Nice tool.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GG2Ak8cHGcPXTQeFGLJlcLmxQXCPwdk70SgNmw9fIULCtt3IEhbU62xyWa02aJRL