1 2 3
Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/25/12 8:53 a.m.

Less then 2weeks to visit the overgrown rat for a week stay....

Someone shoot me.

drsmooth
drsmooth New Reader
8/25/12 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

I was 10 years old. My parents took us to that place for a once in a lifetime trip.......

I hated it, my brothers (younger and older) hated it and my parents hated it.

We still have one day left on our 3 day pass. We just had enough of the place. The 3 day pass has no expiry although we had such a bad time there. I don't imagine that the last day will ever get used.

We had a much better time at Silver Springs.

btp76
btp76 Reader
8/25/12 9:26 a.m.

I dodged a bullet 2 years ago at Disneyland by getting terribly ill. I was in bed with a 100 + degree fever. It worked out splendidly. The misses has a trip planned for Disneyworld this winter. With a few days to go I'm going to start eating trash to replicate my former illness.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/25/12 9:26 a.m.

Going to see The Rat is an American rite of passage, it seems. But it's one I have managed to miss, thankfully. I had a neighbor who went every year, given what that joint costs it was no wonder he was in pretty dire financial straits when he and his wife split.

drsmooth
drsmooth New Reader
8/25/12 9:32 a.m.

The Awful Guide to Your Inevitable Walt Disney World Vacation. Warning Adult Language... http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/disney-world-vacation.php

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/25/12 9:32 a.m.

It actually is the most wonderful place on the planet. I can't see how anyone doesn't just love it. Stay onsite for the whole experience and a lot of extras that make it even better.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/25/12 9:46 a.m.

Watch out! The Rat will take all your cheese!

I've been there twice, it was fun, but not so fun that I would want to go over and over.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/25/12 9:47 a.m.

I guess I should say, I have already been to Disneyworld once before. Now, I have to go again with the kid and a different wife.

Lucked out on the trip with a 7day stay at one of the moderate priced resorts with a FREE dining plan.....

Guess I can't bitch too bad since i didn't pay for it either. I am just bitching I have to go.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/25/12 9:51 a.m.

63 and never been there

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/25/12 9:59 a.m.

The wife wants to start saving to take the boy there in a couple years. I want to be completely debt free before we go on a big vacation like that. I am hoping the comprimise will be her letting me blow all the money we save up for the trip on cheap old cars.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
8/25/12 10:01 a.m.

We're going this fall and I am not excited.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/25/12 10:08 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: We're going this fall and I am not excited.

Ditto. Reason for all the above crap. Leave here the 7th hope to make it back on the 17th with everyone still "intact".

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/25/12 10:14 a.m.

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys Disney World

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
8/25/12 10:47 a.m.

Never been there. I spent my youth going to museums,the zoo, the mountains and the beach.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/25/12 10:55 a.m.

Chuck wants to go, I am "Meh...", but at this point we can't even afford to watch the Disney Channel so I am safe for now.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/25/12 10:56 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys Disney World

Yep, me too. I've been there upwards of 80 times and love it every time. The more totally you immerse yourself in their world the less the real world intrudes and the more enjoyment you get.

Disneyland doesn't have quite the same flavor but then it's smaller than just the World at Disneyworld and it was the first, so there are bound to be improvements in later versions.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/25/12 11:00 a.m.

I just went with the kids in April.

I can't say it was my kind of vacation at all but my kids had a great time and that was the whole point so, mission accomplished and now I never have to do that again.

There were parts of Epcot (german sausage buffet and beer) and Animal Kingdom (food again) that were highlights as well as asian chicks dressed in Minnie Mouse costumes that gave me a whole new fetish to ponder. Other than that - you can save a ton of dough and just go to Six Flags. The rides are better.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/25/12 11:01 a.m.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/25/12 12:00 p.m.

Disneyworld is MUCH better without the kids!!! I think there ought to be one day a week that kids aren't allowed in the park.

And 6 days a week those dumb double strollers and people on scooters weren't allowed!!

And Giant Purple Whatever, Six Flags isn't even in the same league as Disney. Six Flags is like that neighborhood carnival that shows up in the shopping center parking lot once a year when compared to Disney.

There is so much more to do at Disney than just rides.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
8/25/12 12:06 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: There is so much more to do at Disney than just rides.

I'm going when the hot asian chicks dressed as Minnie Mouse are rides.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/25/12 12:09 p.m.

I have been to D-land and D-world. I like going.

I think it is a lot nicer and cleaner than the rest.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/25/12 12:13 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Disneyworld is MUCH better without the kids!!!

My wife and I spent 2 days on our honeymoon 25 years ago. We enjoyed the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. We gave away our third day -couldn't take it any more. We did have fun as two 24 year olds.

Then we had a 3 day big red boat (Disney) cruise.....good.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
8/25/12 12:22 p.m.

When I was 4, in 1983, we drove from New Orleans to Disneyland in one of these:

My sister swears it was before National Lampoons Vacation came out, but I was too young to remember which was first, our trip or the movie. Either way, we had a station wagon and my dad was saving for the trip before the movie came out.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
8/25/12 12:31 p.m.

I fully expected to hate it. I was actually surprised. I didn't really enjoy the rides & things, but the "after hours" stuff was pretty cool. We stayed in the Caribbean-themed resort. I rented one of the little boats, had a beer or two. Rented a bike, rode around a bit. Breakfast one morning at the "classic era" Florida resort, that was pretty cool. Enjoyed the pavilion of nations, caught the light & music show one night.

I think even the rides would have been OK, except that we were there with my sis/bro in-laws. Odd thing was that they had a timetable like a military operation, and were determined to stick to it. It was as if they didn't really care about having fun, they just wanted to insure they could check off every item in their list. Weird. I'm so glad I'm not part of that family any more.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/25/12 12:47 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I fully expected to hate it. I was actually surprised. I didn't really enjoy the rides & things, but the "after hours" stuff was pretty cool. We stayed in the Caribbean-themed resort. I rented one of the little boats, had a beer or two. Rented a bike, rode around a bit. Breakfast one morning at the "classic era" Florida resort, that was pretty cool. Enjoyed the pavilion of nations, caught the light & music show one night. I think even the rides would have been OK, except that we were there with my sis/bro in-laws. Odd thing was that they had a timetable like a military operation, and were determined to stick to it. It was as if they didn't really care about having fun, they just wanted to insure they could check off every item in their list. Weird. I'm *so* glad I'm not part of that family any more.

After hours stuff is great in Disney and it's not designed just for the kids. I really like Pleasure Island better when it was a ticketed entrance because they'd have lots of things going on on the streets and then there was the Adventurer's club. A whole show unto itself.

If you like fireworks then both Disneyworld & Epcot have great shows. Every night is bigger, by far, than any fireworks show you'll see on the 4th at your local major metropolis.

Epcot's show is ground based and is absolutely awesome!

And yes Disney isn't for a timetable. Inside Disney you can forget the rest of the world exists and just go at the pace that's enjoyable. We tend to go through the Buzz Lightyear ride over and over again. I don't know why, but the shoot em up aspect of the ride just begs competition!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYyPDYGq3lbOJcBCxluSH0LNSIARQwBm10aZz7ON9UIoLNZfynsk3Oo3KgaKxnYw