rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/23 8:53 p.m.

In preparation to try to bring the Mark 2 back to life, I decided to see what the oil pressure is like.  I took the plugs out and spun the engine over to try to get pressure, no luck.  I got a cheap mechanical gauge to double check, and still no pressure.  Unhooked the gauge completely to see if oil would come out of the hole and still nothing.  Is there any way to prime the pump on these, or do I just have to keep cranking for a while?  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/26/23 9:52 p.m.

Wondering if the crappy paper element oil filter is blocked. Not sure if that might cause a no oil pressure situation, or if there's a bypass. 

When I bought my 3.8s, it cranked over and gave immediate oil pressure.  So I don't think the pump needs priming. 

I assume the oil level is good. Maybe the pickup fell off the pump?

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/26/23 10:01 p.m.

Can you attach a mity-vac (or similar) to the gage port while cranking to draw oil into the pump?

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/27/23 6:17 p.m.

The oil pump hangs out under the crank in the front of the oil pan.

If your distributor rotor is spinning the oil pump is turning. There are two woodruff keys that could have sheared but I have never seen that happen on one of these motors

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
2/27/23 9:02 p.m.

I've had them lose prime after sitting a long time, if you can pour some oil down that pipe in the illustration, that should get it primed.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/23 9:50 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

Which pipe?  Isn't that all internal plumbing?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FWbM2mAA0HA41TgLtX2ok12ucayn3fk1KXPTVxOyjecJLFBTaXtgTYMKfzwlfvBc