Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle Reader
2/3/24 3:42 p.m.

I'm trying to find a contractor to do the wiring for the empty metal building I'm trying to turn into a shop. There is no existing service whatsoever so this is a start-from-scratch scenario. I have the knowledge and skills, but I do not want to burn my weekends for the next 6 months on 20' scaffolding, in the dark, in the cold, de-climbing and re-climbing the scaffolding for the one tool or part I inevitably forget to take up. Technical requirements are fairly normal, just a gaggle of 15/20A receptacles, LED lighting, a sprinkling of 30A and 50A receps for welders, lift, RV, and a meter box and main panel. Single phase. The building will be on its own 200A meter. I want to do most of the runs in EMT because I will be doing spray foam over it all once done, and MC cable for the lighting is fine.

I hate finding contractors because I never know what I'll be getting for workmanship until after the fact, which on my list is arguably the most important aspect of any project. I have had no luck yet finding someone who wants to take on the project; seems reputable, willing and able to do the work; and doesn't want 4x what the project is worth. Location is Littleton, CO. I'm wondering if anyone local-ish to the Denver area has any recommendations or leads.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/21/24 10:17 p.m.

Concrete floor? If so why not just rent a 1930 scissor lift. Not sure about building or electrical permitting in Denver so not sure if it's even legal for you to do the work yourself.

Sounds like a good two week job from the sounds of it, depending on the size, but I can't be positive not seeing it.

Most resi guys I know haven't got a clue when it comes to running pipe. MC they can handle as it's close to romex in pulling and makeup.

I know plenty of people here in the Seattle area that could do it. I just don't know anyone down there. I have worked with a few travelers from the Denver area but have no idea how to get a hold of them. 

Also any good reputable shop will be more than happy to show you work they have performed on past jobs.

TurboDog
TurboDog New Reader
2/25/24 11:39 a.m.

In Laramie, I just paid $3K to have a new 200A feed run about 60ft from my meter to my new building, and I dug the trench and refilled it. After that I started running all the wire inside this winter.  I only do a couple of circuits at a time because it's cold and I don't have it insulated yet. I live out in rural Albany county where there aren't any building codes so I am allowed to do the work myself, I was told that if I was in the city limits I would have to hire a licensed contractor even if I wired it to code (which I am doing).  Paying someone is probably gonna be very expensive, just chip away at it...put some lights up first :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9xNrbKoTeXKIke0HwM4KAEdGPlm6vm3KrkWBzcuWjelSigkKflWMuhh3brdg6Snl