Presented by Nine Lives Racing
locofinn
locofinn New Reader
4/9/21 6:43 a.m.

Trying to help my very aerodynamic-challenged car get better stick. The rear wing is in the works also. I did a little reading of Simon McBeath's book and bought a $90 fleaBay dual element wing just for the extruded airfoils and made my own end plates to mount the air foils in the proper configurations. We will see if we can make this cow more aerodynamic at speed for TT and Hillclimbs.

Johnny_at_NineLives
Johnny_at_NineLives GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/12/21 11:00 a.m.

gotta watch the fleaybay wings. The air gap between the elements is critical to making a Dual element work. and I know they use it as the downforce "adjuster. "

locofinn
locofinn New Reader
4/14/21 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Johnny_at_NineLives :

Yep. None of it is correct according to "The Book". All the angles, overlap and gaps for the upper element are not correct the way it comes from fleabay.

locofinn
locofinn New Reader
6/4/21 10:04 a.m.

Finished the front and back wing. First TT is and the end of the month. We will see if this works.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
6/4/21 10:58 a.m.

I guess you plan this for track only?  DM still does not allow for wings there.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/21 11:50 a.m.

not super high tech but I did the same for a challenge car. Trace/scan the profiles and upload into javafoil for a free if not a bit clunky way to get a good idea of how you should place the foils in relationship to each other, and then get a good starting point for AoA for the whole thing and a guess at which way to adjust for which effect. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/can-anyone-take-a-photo-and-turn-it-into-a-plot-of-points-xy-axis-wing-profile-content-inside/175500/page1/

I believe we got our Ebay foils into the 2.5 ish CoD range, which was very noticeable at autox speeds... 

locofinn
locofinn New Reader
6/4/21 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

Correct. Easy to bolt on and off for track vs Solo.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
6/4/21 6:28 p.m.

Have you worked on getting a splitter to use?

Curious if a splitter or a combo setup would do more?  Great job on mounting thus up and using though!  I like it!

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/21 4:17 p.m.

Does the SCCA rulebook still say for modified classes that 'these are limited downforce classes'? I miss reading that stuff.

All of this is completely illegal. The only SCCA class that allows multi element front wings is A Mod. 

Am I wrong? Donnie?

I'm moving away from SCCA classing for this reason. They are unreasonably opposed to aero.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
10/19/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to dr_strangeland :

DM and EM are both limited aero classes yes. 

But, Prepared now allows wings....

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/21 1:39 p.m.

Oh! That's great to hear.

I actually really like the XS-A and XS-B classes, I ran in XS this year and it was interesting competition. No endplate size limits!

Marko159
Marko159 New Reader
10/18/23 10:45 p.m.

I had no way to measure the wing effect but it is very noticeable at speed. Car very planted at Mid Ohio.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a0EgOQq36zgq28Vp0bhH0Sv4v2eWrnA09xFcUqB0DXUSsTcDwZAFAyhjLiVoQq3i