singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/25/23 4:08 p.m.

So I was visiting my wife's family in Arkansas back in March and we went to go talk to a friend of my FILs that is into cars. He had this truck sitting out in front of his wind shield repair place. It was the ugliest car in the collection that he and his dad had at this shop.

I got to talking to the guy, Richie, about this truck. Apparently, he bought it in the 70s in Colorado. He painted it red, white, and blue to make it a tad more American. He used it to move to Arkansas in the 80s and then sold the truck to a local. Said local painted it grey and then parked it in a field for 25 years or more. That guy then died and Richie bought it back (without a title, damnit) with the plan to have it restored. It sat and sat waiting for Richie's restoration buddy to get to it. That guy then died. Richie was done with it and when I showed interest he said it was mine for $500. I couldn't say no. My wife was not thrilled but when her dad offered free delivery, I knew it was coming back to Missouri at some point.

Fast forward 1/2 a year. The Starlet build has stalled for a couple reasons. A large one was that the cam covers on the Ford 4.6 stick up past the hood line. That just wasn't giving me the warm and fuzzies. I then was talking to Nocones. I don't recommend this. I came to the realization that the ford crown vic frame would work well with the Stout and the v8 would fit under the hood. So now I am doing the project car shuffle.

I was looking for project ideas and found a picture of THIS TRUCK online when it was still in Colorado.

More to come later!

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/23 4:16 p.m.

Awesomeness!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/23 4:22 p.m.

Wow, that's weird lookin'!  

I love it!  How hard is the title issue to work out?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/25/23 4:27 p.m.

Missouri has a couple ways to fix it but I have a good title for the crown Vic so I might be okay with having that carry the title.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/25/23 4:32 p.m.

So here is a photo dump of the way things are today.

Check out this steering wheel and dash!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/23 4:37 p.m.

I am sorry.   

Also this is going to be awesome.  And will let the Starlet be Way better when it is no longer saddled with the amount of space that the Crown Vic frame took up within it's body.

Sawzall and I will visit this winter.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/25/23 4:38 p.m.

That is such a cool little truck. I've never seen anything like it. Also in for Starlet updates..

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
10/25/23 4:45 p.m.

Love just about all the little old japanese trucks....this should be a great build.

....in case you haven't seen this, totally over the top, but cool non-the-less

https://youtu.be/HPXyY6i12N4?si=tSmdekN1fB6arWh-

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/25/23 4:56 p.m.
nocones said:

I am sorry.

Sawzall and I will visit this winter.

Is there going to be project team work at Slamer's house?

They have pizza in Missouri, right?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/23 5:01 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

My understanding is yes to project work time.  

Missouri Pizza is Imos so it's a bit of Schrodinger's pizza.  Some people think it's pizza and others think it's a dead cat. 

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/23 5:27 p.m.

My little brother had a '67 Stout.  White California truck. 

Not fast and it was never going to win an autocross, but it was amazing what it would haul.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/23 5:32 p.m.

That is a COOL truck!!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/25/23 6:29 p.m.

I always wanted a stout with a 1uz and itb's

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/25/23 6:30 p.m.

I believe it's a 3R engine in those, most parts are available from forklift suppliers.

A buddy had a 5R in a Corona at one time. The firing order was actually 1234. Might be the same on the 3R.

I missed out on a Stout ages ago, would love to have one.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/25/23 7:46 p.m.

Thanks gang. I am hoping that Dan (nocones) gets me another sweet rendering to help flesh this out in my head. He seems good at that kind of enabling. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/25/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Yes, it sounds like at lease nocones is coming at some point. Others are welcome to come hang out as well. 

I am not from St Louis and Imos isn't pizza. We have some okay pizza more of the traditional variety. My wife makes a solid GF crust as well if that is your thing

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
10/25/23 9:10 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer : carevto share the recipe for the GF crust?

and the Stout will be awesome!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/26/23 9:21 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

3 years of experimenting. Due to allergies our recipe is also soy, corn, and egg free. Basically, it is a huge pain in the ass and I can't really tell you. I would have to get her to sit down and type it out. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/23 12:39 a.m.

Gotta keep an eye on this one. I have seen very few Stouts and never in very good shape. They're weird in all the right ways.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/5/23 9:28 a.m.

Nocones at it again.

If anyone has any thoughts on rear suspension, parallel vs triangulated 4 link. I am planning on move the axle 8" back to match the stock Stout wheel base. I have room for either suspension layout and if I keep the parallel links I will move the Watts link back as well. If I am going to be fabbing arms anyway triangulated may be easier. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/5/23 9:47 a.m.

I think Cabe Toyota offered a few parts available for these trucks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZDJzq0lxDv6ca4yRHWZggvnx2LEpjQi37xtdygwZUIcssRPeJPzfAMeLcAXMhWHY