1 ... 9 10 11
wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
7/26/23 10:32 a.m.

I watch for the fabrication and interesting build but don't comment as I don't feel I have much to ad as noted above.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
7/26/23 11:33 a.m.

Some forums  have a thing that tells you how many eyes are looking at your thread, does this one?

I also have read every word and studied every picture, I always learn something from every one of these build threads, so keep em coming please! 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
7/26/23 12:45 p.m.

I always keep up to date with this one, and am enjoying the videos as well! I understand the feeling, I try to drop a "like" on the threads I read but don't comment on to let people know I'm reading.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/27/23 10:01 a.m.

Cool - nice to hear folks are checking it out and finding it interesting. Back to it: Change again. I started looking into the inverted G50 and, having started with a Renegade Hybrids kit on my LS 914, I ended up on a call with Scott Mann, founder of Renegade Hybrids. And can I just say: This is one enthusiastic guy! Short story is he made a great case for running an inverted 996 transaxle, vs the G50. Better gearing for the V8, stronger, cable shift from the factory, cheaper, more parts... So the hunt is on for one. 

As a quick and very rough fitment check, I flipped the Boxster trans, just to see. With the planned dry sump set up, it looks like the whole drive train can come down better than 1.5". With the output shafts higher, it does mean I have to clearance the underside of the 'Vette frame rails to get axle clearance. It's always something... But have no fear, we will persevere!

Since I have no new pics of RacerBenz, and I know you love pics, here's one of the in-the-door-sill trunk latch release I just installed in the LS 914. It's the rear lid release from a Ferrari 360. Not accessible with the door closed, protected from the elements by the inner and outer door seals and rocker cover. I'll remove the Ferrari graphic and replace it with one of a 914 with a reverse open trunk, just like my car has. Overall, it should be a cool little detail.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/23 2:33 p.m.
tygaboy said:

Cool - nice to hear folks are checking it out and finding it interesting. 

Part of what I enjoy about your builds is it looks like you didn't spend 30-40 years doing automotive work, and took it up as an increasing hobby after retirement, correct?  I'm in the same boat, retiring this year.  I aspire to work like yours.  Not there yet by a long shot.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/27/23 8:18 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:
tygaboy said:

Part of what I enjoy about your builds is it looks like you didn't spend 30-40 years doing automotive work, and took it up as an increasing hobby after retirement, correct?  I'm in the same boat, retiring this year.  I aspire to work like yours.  Not there yet by a long shot.

I started a few years before retirement. Just weekends. But really hit it hard after retiring. I'm happy with how my skills have improved. I watch a fair bit of YouTube, particularly on roll cage fab and TIG welding. That REALLY helped me. Plus, I paid careful attention whenever Martin touched anything. I learn best by doing but "Watch to Learn" certainly helped. I absolutely have a lot to learn and improvement to make but I can deliver a pretty good result nearly every time. If you like a good read, check out "Grit" by Angela Duckworth. I fould it helped give me some perspective on moving up the learning curve. Now get into the shop and FAB ON, brother! yes

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
7/28/23 8:43 a.m.
tygaboy said:
Kendall Frederick said:
tygaboy said:

I started a few year before retirement. Just weekends. But really hit it hard after retiring. I'm happy with how my skills have improved. I watch a fair bit of YouTube, particularly on roll cage fab and TIG welding. That REALLY helped me. Plus, I paid careful attention whenever Martin touched anything. I learn best by doing but "Watch to Learn" certainly helped. I absolutely have a lot to learn and improvement to make but I can deliver a pretty good result nearly every time. If you like a good read, check out "Grit" by Angela Duckworth. I fould it helped give me some perspective on moving up the learning curve. Now get into the shop and FAB ON, brother! yes

That is super cool to hear, I would have thought you'd been involved in fabrication for much longer!  I have very similar aspirations, continue my nights/weekends honing of skills with hopes of an early'ish retirement to take on a few jobs to keep the lights on and continue to build cool projects.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/23 8:57 a.m.
tygaboy said:

Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear you're enjoying. I don't seem to get many comments so it's nice to hear some folks are checking out this this build. The oiling in an inverted G50 is "fine" but spray bars can be added, which I'd likely do. 

I think I commented on the first couple pages. This build is great. I like the creativity and the build with a general plan but be ready to change when you see a better way. The fab work is cool and the apparent boldness of the project is awesome. 

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
7/31/23 8:32 p.m.

Here's your chance to own a piece of (my) history! RacerBenz is available for purchase. I'll keep working on it but if someone's interested, this is the best time to buy.

I'm about to go all in on the drive train package and thought I'd check if anyone wanted to take over the build. If not, I'll keep going. But to be honest, with the LS 914 and 914 Ferrari, as well as some other builds I've not mentioned, I really need to focus. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/racerbenz-cl500-track-day-project-available-for-purchase-5k-obo/257147/page1/

fouckhest
fouckhest New Reader
8/1/23 8:31 a.m.

NOOOOO!

....But it is very understandable with the other crazy projects.  GLWS, but selfishly want to see this thing come to fruition.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/23 8:39 a.m.

In reply to tygaboy :

Ah wish it was on the east coast! 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/1/23 5:40 p.m.

In reply to tygaboy :

I'm also glad you're on the opposite coast.  And that I have (at least) 2 projects that must be finished before I pick up another.

tygaboy
tygaboy Reader
8/17/23 6:48 p.m.

Wanted to pass on some great news!  A good buddy of mine is going to assume ownership of RacerBenz! We've agreed I'll stay involved with the build as I really do want to see this completed. But this approach means I now have a bit more room in the Red Barn, as well as input from another car guy with some of the stupidest/best ideas you've ever heard. So keep watching this space - I'll update as progress is made. Now say it with me: Gooooooo RacerBenz!

Piguin
Piguin New Reader
8/18/23 2:08 a.m.

Gooooooo RacerBenz! 

Good news indeed - it would be a shame to languish somewhere instead of going full insanity :)

1 ... 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gpcjEYFQbiyNJgHOjRFRgR97fpnilXCM2nxoA1zgPbUEwkFW2zYPn67CLmi0tfvr