1 2
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/22 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I do. Might be a minute before I'm ready but I'll contact you.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/4/22 12:14 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If you wait too long I'll have cash and keep the truck

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/4/22 4:34 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

And I'll clear the path for Stampie ahead of me.  Had a discussion with my wife, and we are thinking getting something with 4WD over AWD is a requirement, as we may start playing around on off road trails now that rallycross events have gotten a lot further away from us than they used to be.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/5/22 11:05 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I dont blame you, i often wish I could disengage my front wheels, and 4 low would be nice, but I'm super impressed with this trucks abilities. Took on a soupy green field after 11 days of rain, in with 700 pounds of corn, loaded the feeder and back out no problems with worn out all terrain tires.  It just kept switching power to different wheels and left deep ruts in red clay slime.

Stampie
4/5/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim and Justjim75 :

I'm still trying to decide what I want. Unfortunately they didn't make a 2 door 2500 GMT800 Tahoe with a manual diesel. I mean I'm not asking for much am I?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/5/22 11:59 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to eastsideTim and Justjim75 :

I'm still trying to decide what I want. Unfortunately they didn't make a 2 door 2500 GMT800 Tahoe with a manual diesel. I mean I'm not asking for much am I?

I wonder how hard it would be to drop a GMT400 Tahoe body onto a GMT800 chassis...

Stampie
4/5/22 1:08 p.m.

No see what you do is get a GMT800 Suburban. Cut it right behind the back door and graft that behind the front door of a GMT800 Tahoe. I might have thought about this a lot.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/6/22 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Why not cut the whole middle row out altogether and weld it back together?  My Yukon without a back seat but the ability to lock in what would be the third row would be cool and turn on a dime

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/6/22 10:20 p.m.

GMT800 Burb, manual dmax swap, cut out the middle and Bob's your uncle

DMG
DMG New Reader
4/16/22 10:53 a.m.

I have a 2004 suburban 9 passenger barn doors, 138k on it.  Rockers are getting rusty, otherwise solid.  New tires/brakes/rotors in past 5k miles.  Instrument Cluster blanks out occasionally and I haven't done anything about it because it comes back on. $6500. 

An hour east of Pittsburgh, PA.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/22 10:57 a.m.

Bumping this back up, because I have the first full week of July off, and might be able to do a drive-and-drive to pick something up a bit south.  I've decided no Suburbans/Yukon XLs/Excursions, they're just bigger than I want.  Only possible exception might be a 6.0 GMT800 Suburban 2500, but it'd have to be an awesome deal.  No need to go hunting for something, as I don't want to be asking people to go and inspect random SUVs for me, but if you or someone you know puts something for sale that fits the criteria, let me know. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/22 11:04 a.m.

Your 100% rust free vehicle awaits you just 4.5 hours NORTH...really.  

6.0L GMC Denali XL

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/22 11:28 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Your 100% rust free vehicle awaits you just 4.5 hours NORTH...really.  

6.0L GMC Denali XL

Yeah, if it weren't for the wheelbase, and it being AWD instead of 4WD.  I still thought about it for a bit when the ad went up.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/15/22 11:34 a.m.

Yeah, it is long and it is AWD but it sure seems nice and well maintained too.  

Just trying to connect other dots...  GRM in South Carolina who owns a Yukon says he wants a manual sedan.  I'm not sure what the details are on the Yukon.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Believe it or not, I went down the same rabbit hole.  It's also AWD.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/15/22 11:50 a.m.

Oh yeah, may be able to involve a 2012 Mazda5 in a trade.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
6/16/22 9:18 a.m.

The wheelbase of the Suburban makes it nicer to tow with than the Tahoe.  Ideally you would find one with Quadrasteer but they are slightly rarer than hens teeth and when the system breaks (raises hand sheepishly) the turning radius still isn't terrible.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/16/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I think the big factor is, time spent towing will be minimal, compared to wanting to fit it into parking spaces, and on off road trails.  Another issue is, in my driveway, I can fit something Tahoe length or shorter, and my Miata or Beetle on the same side of the driveway, but it'll be a squeeze.  Any more, and it becomes pretty much impossible.  Ideally, I'd end up with a 4Runner, but prices on good ones are insane.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/29/22 9:50 a.m.

Quick bump in advance of my upcoming week off.  I think I may have to give up until the market returns to some semblance of normalcy.

I've been glancing at CL in Knoxville, and am amazed at how much more solid cars look there, even compared to my searches in Kentucky.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/8/22 2:59 p.m.

Anyone got any opinions on this one?  Tempted to check it out, as long as it's non-smoker owned, and has working AC:  2001 Tahoe

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
7/9/22 11:39 a.m.

That's a lot of rust for an AZ car. It also has a switch under the 4WD buttons that isn't factory. It's also a more basic LS trim rather than the LT with leather power/lumbar/heated seats and auto climate controls. It's been 4 years since I had my Tahoe (2000 LT) but $4k seems a little steep.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/9/22 2:29 p.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

Thanks for checking the pictures.  With how bright the rust is on the frame, I'm guessing it is fairly recent, so not to heavy yet.  But, between that, the switch you pointed out, and that it's about an hour and fifteen minute drive to check it out, I think I'll pass.  Sadly, that's probably the cheapest sub-200K mile 4x4 Tahoe I've seen that still has intact rocker panels.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2l4tkoM7MFD95bSY5k3JznNrCpidh9HYPgi4jDZnqNSReM45GqhgXlZurgPLMtXJ