1 2
Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
11/25/23 9:25 a.m.

@Andy Hollis

cool beans! Is that test going to be published in the magazine?

@fatallightning

apparently we did get the AD08 over here as I was looking through an older issue of GRM from 2012 this morning and noticed them listed in a Tire Rack ad:

Were they only available for a short time? Prematurely pulled from our market? Anybody know the story?

And...

as a sidenote noob question concerning 200tw tires --- the Acceleras will be my first time experiencing a 200tw and really don't fully know what to expect, hence my trepidation in buying a set of the AD09's last month when they still had my size in stock, because I really don't know if such a tire will be ideal for daily driving or if I can happily live with them --- anyway, got very close to snagging a set of those AD09's from Tire Rack before second thoughts dissuaded me, but if I had purchased them was deffo gonna have them heat cycled by TR ---

--- now finally my question, I'm kinda hoping that the internet is right about the 651's not being "true" 200tw honestly, but I still think it might be a good idea to heat cycle them regardless, so would it be sufficient to simply drive them on the highway for an hour or so right after having them mounted, then put up on jackstands to let them rest for at least 24 hours? 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
11/25/23 3:54 p.m.

Oop, I mean to specify, but didn't type it it out clearly, we never got the AD08RS specifically. Evidently that was a euro specific tire that required all street tires to meet certain eco targets. I think I'm going to pop on the 651s just because of the price. I wish they had a 225/45-16, but gonna do 205/50-16 and let it rock. I have 2016 AD08 on my S1 Elise, and they're past prime for sure. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/25/23 5:53 p.m.
Oldboy Speedwell said:

@Andy Hollis

cool beans! Is that test going to be published in the magazine?

Yes, of course.  Tire tests are our #1 reads.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
11/29/23 2:03 p.m.

Hey Mr. Deliveryman, thanks for the winter tires!

j/k cheeky it was 23 degrees cold this morning though...

...just took some crappy potato phone shots for posterity to show as-delivered, this size is now back to regular price which is $112 per.

My 2019-made Sport Comp 2's still have a bit of life in them though, so the 651's will go in black plastic bag storage for a couple of months before being mounted, maybe even March of 2024, so any update review will probably be late next year LOL and even then me being totally unfamiliar with 200tw and only experienced with regular 300+ street tires, my review may be worthless, regardless though I shall press on pedal to the metal...

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
11/29/23 2:27 p.m.

Mine came too, as well as the Phi R for the daily. Prices are hard to beat. I'm in the northeast, so won't have any real impressions till spring. I've run Direzza * Spec, ZIII, A048, AD08 and 595 RSR in the 200tw realm. Only immediate feedback is that the tread pattern does seem to have quite a bit more tread void ratio than I'd expect for a 200tw tire, I'd expect the 3 circumfrential channels to probably have some squirm over a more solid block. It's only going on a 1600 lb car, so hoping it wont matter. Cross shopping in sizes is basically the Toyo R888R and R1R, which arent cutting edge at all at this point. 

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
11/29/23 2:36 p.m.

@fatallightning

AWESOME!

Thanks for your input, my car weighs about 1000lbs more than yours so hope it ain't too squirmy!

I very much appreciate hearing your immediate thoughts on the tread design, cheers!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/23 2:46 p.m.

I bought a set of 195/15 Acceleras for $300 a week ago.   I'll report back when I get a chance to mount and use them.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
12/1/23 8:49 a.m.

Tire Rack was totally accurate with their projected re-stock date of 12/01 and I find that to be impressively reassuring especially nowadays when constant out-of-stock seems to be the new normal and some more unscrupulous vendors may try to string you along with projected stock arrival all the while still being on intergalactic backorder.

Just happened to check this morning and what also grabbed my eye were a couple of new reviews:

~ November 27, 2023(Verified Purchase)

2.7 out of 5

I bought these for better performance on the track and in autocross. They look like high performance tires, but they are barely better than the stock 300 TW run flat tires. 200 TW tires should perform significantly better. These tires were a waste of money.

• VEHICLE:

2022 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

• :

~ November 28, 2023(Verified Tire Rack Customer)

Not Rated out of 5

This is mostly for the last reviewer who said they are barely better than the 300 TW tires on the 2022 Corvette.

You have to understand the sub-classification of the 200 TW class. There are endurance (AD09) and then there are the super 200’s (like RT660).

TR should really split these into separate categories.

I have 5k miles on the AD09’s on my GT4 and while they are better than both OEM options , they don’t have the ultimate grip levels of my tire of choice (GY SC3), nor do they have as good of grip when cold.

Having said that, the AD09’s is an endurance 200 TW tire, not a super 200 TW

• VEHICLE:

2022 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

unquote

lnlds
lnlds Reader
4/17/24 12:00 a.m.

Any grm-er reviews or impressions on these yet? I've heat cycled out my ECS with plenty of remaining tread and am looking for a cheap performance/mostly hpde tire.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
4/18/24 10:31 a.m.

I still haven't mounted mine lol.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/19/24 8:54 a.m.
lnlds said:

Any grm-er reviews or impressions on these yet? I've heat cycled out my ECS with plenty of remaining tread and am looking for a cheap performance/mostly hpde tire.

Run them on our Champ Car. They are relegated now to rear of the car duty as they get super greasy up front. This is on a 2400lb FWD car with -2.5 camber and +3.5 caster. Tire was a 205/50R16 on a 16x7 wheel.  

They will overheat after 2-3 heater laps, get greasy and once you back it down from 9/10 to 7/10 they will get back to being ok. Out back they stick great and last forever. 

I can take photos of the sets of used ones i have if needed to show wear over 12-24hrs of racing?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HH3VUH0H7oSdjyyaIs9FZlExdEMR0XMY2bO17SMlD3jers9K4WUwSVVTm3Y1KGVA