1 2
juliasag_pennstatemarketing
juliasag_pennstatemarketing New Reader
2/5/24 3:25 p.m.

Calling all car enthusiasts! My name is Julia Saganowich, and I’m an undergraduate Marketing researcher at the Pennsylvania State University. I’m recruiting survey participants for my thesis research study exploring car enthusiasts’ opinions, perceptions, and experiences with specific car models, and I would like to invite you to take my survey.

This survey study should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

To participate, follow the link and take the survey:

https://smeal.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_79RxxNtA9dXbywm

Your participation is voluntary, and you can stop participating at any time. You must be 18 years or older and currently residing in the United States to take this survey.

Thank you very much for your consideration and participation!

Should you have any additional questions about this research study, please contact me via email (jes6567@psu.edu) for more information.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 7:49 p.m.

This survey is *hilarious*

This is obviously marketing research, if the user name didn't clue you in. The focus seemed to center on "How does this vehicle make you feel? How does it improve your life? Does this vehicle help you feel better about yourself? Does this vehicle improve the world by existing? Would your friends approve of this car?" and a bunch of other such nonsense.

The way the questions are worded is leading; e.g. the survey assumes vehicles inherently have the quality to improve the world by existing, or that vehicles somehow reflect a set of immutable, universal moral values.

I spotted at least one grammar error relating to a singular verb being used for plural noun.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
2/6/24 7:25 a.m.

No.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/6/24 7:26 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Did you provide that feedback to the person putting this survey together? Obviously they're just a student and could probably benefit from it... 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/6/24 8:41 a.m.

This is confirmed to be from a Penn State student.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
2/6/24 9:12 a.m.

I don't need a 10 minute survey to tell you the Ford bronco sucks.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/24 10:18 a.m.

I'm always okay with car related surveys. I'd rather market research come from actual car people than street takeover lemmings.

Edit; after taking the survey, that was weird.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
2/6/24 10:21 a.m.

Some juinor level Ford marketing weeny is pattin demselves on da head RIGHT NOW!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/6/24 10:28 a.m.

I got the VW Bus ID. Probably not the best vehicle to foist upon me for commentary, LOL.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/6/24 10:36 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/6/24 10:38 a.m.

Am I the only one that got a supra and it kept trying to ask me if the new supra was anything like the old ones?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 10:38 a.m.
Racebrick said:

I don't need a 10 minute survey to tell you the Ford bronco sucks.

Mine was about the VW buzz.  The questions come off a little odd, but so has pretty much every survey I've taken so it must be something they're getting taught. I'm curious how it gives anyone useful information.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/6/24 10:39 a.m.

In reply to boulder_dweeb :

not after he reads my survey. 

2/6/24 10:39 a.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

Having taken a market survey after buying a new car, the one above was very similar to an official manufacturer's survey. I'm guessing the student may not have had that much latitude in the design, especially on an undergraduate level.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/6/24 10:45 a.m.

I got weirded out on the first question.  Not only are several of these things synonyms, its super weird that the scale is backward only for exciting vs. unexciting.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/6/24 10:58 a.m.

I got the Volkswagen electric bus as well. And I berkeleying hate Volkswagen.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
2/6/24 10:59 a.m.

I figured at least 50% of the questions were just to try and flag ai/bots from filling out surveys.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/24 10:59 a.m.
camopaint0707 said:

Am I the only one that got a supra and it kept trying to ask me if the new supra was anything like the old ones?

I got the poopra too. I was a bit confused on the question about when the first gen started. Was it asking about the celica? Or the singular model supra? Pedantry at it's finest.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/6/24 11:00 a.m.

in no world do I ever actually compare a modern supra to the fast n furious styles.  They share a name.  that's it.  

I got thrown in the Bronco group.  I had no problem honestly answering the questions.  In this day and age surveyors have to be cautious of bots flooding the answers.   Glad to help her out.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 11:22 a.m.

That was a little bizarre. While I don't hate the new Bronco, I can't say it makes me feel better or worse about anything. I was pretty much, neither agree or disagree, throughout the entire survey. Indifferent is probably the best way to describe it.  

I'm not sure what they were looking for, but I don't think they got it from me. 

To the OP, I'd love to know your results and what you were after when the survey is all said and done. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/6/24 11:52 a.m.

Strongly agreed with the "company has history" on VW.  Let's talk about the mastermind of the brand.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/6/24 12:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

....This is obviously marketing research, if the user name didn't clue you in. The focus seemed to center on "How does this vehicle make you feel? ....

If you watch pretty much any car commercial currently, this is what they are heavily focused on.  Very little to go with stats and capabilities, FAR more to do with "feelings" and such (especially cars / SUV's, less so trucks).

Regarding similar questions:  That is a survey technique to cross check the strength / viability of the answers.  If you answer two similar questions different, both answers are less trusted. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/24 12:27 p.m.

I was offended by the statement that 1979 was the distant past...

2/6/24 12:40 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I thought about this. There are questions which are similar with the synonyms backwards and others that state "choose this answer."

It's interesting to read the follow up responses. I thought maybe the goal is to see how much people pay attention/follow directions. Others are  thinking it's to better weed out bots or to check the reliability of the answers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
82YdUgBzbVh9u7uoIe79tukrSi03hYwaDgDHQjGMl9T5rl6Q1NrigGnyNkRlk44O