1 2
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/23 1:18 p.m.

With the heat dome that is currently sitting over some of the southern states, there is a lot more information available about the health risks. 

As many of us track our cars and work autocross events in the summer, we need to protect ourselves. I read an article about the results of studies in agricultural workers here in Florida showing widespread kidney damage in people working in the summer heat. 

In the tropics, kidney failure has become a major health risk due to the high temperatures.

Hydration is obviously important. While I'm sure to bring lots of water and try to keep hydrated, one study showed that drinking water wasn't sufficient to prevent kidney damage. None of the study participants that consumed electrolytes had kidney damage. I'm going to start adding some Gatorade to my water. As bottled, it has too much sugar, the original formula was not sweetened at all.
It's best to dilute with water to about 50%.

I also use several techniques including evaporative cooling to control heat. I have been using a wet neck wrap, I wet my shirt and hat and I wear fishing shirts and pants made for hot weather. 

Of course I have a big goofy looking hat, consistent with the autocross stereotype, but I also carry an umbrella when I can (if I'm flagging it's one hand for the flag, the other one for the radio), even during the morning course walk. 

I just ordered an evaporative cooling vest, I'll try it out in the next few weeks and post here. They also make them with ice packs. 

Scientific American article on the subject

7/9/23 1:32 p.m.

Thanks for sharing

I've been diluting Gatorade on road bike rides for years.  Take two bottles on the bike, split a single Gatorade between the two and fill with water.  Gives the water some taste but allows to drink it quickly without feeling like you're drinking something heavy.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/23 2:30 p.m.

Doc, Everything you stated I do. I learned it from autocrossing with the Atlanta region of the SCCA next to Turner Field. I drink a half bottle of gatorade thin fill it back up with water. When that's done I mix 50-50 with the remainder of my water and Gatorade. I keep a small cooler with ice. Not freezer packs. As the ice melts I use the cold water to soak a small towel that I use to cover my neck. The towel goes back in the cooler while I'm driving. I also wear long sleeve tees and long pants (not denim) to cover my skin from exposure to the sun.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
7/9/23 3:19 p.m.

My britta is getting a lot of use right now, and that's out here on the island where the heat is better regulated by the ocean/sound. Glad I don't have to work outside midday. Stay hydrated, not thirsty, my friends.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/23 3:35 p.m.

Having recently experienced a rather extensive surgery to remove a pre-cancerous spot from my cheek... I want to to add a reminder to wear sunscreen.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/9/23 4:00 p.m.

Not that you're wrong, but umbrellas on course walking.... sigh.

We'll just say it can be a touchy topic. Might check local customs first?

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
7/9/23 4:08 p.m.

Great post, and I would just add to look out for each other. If you're working autocross, make sure your fellow corner workers are doing ok. I try and come with spare sunscreen and water when I can, and others in my region have helped me when I was running low. We're all in this together. Will stock up on gatorade too

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/9/23 4:14 p.m.

Summer is our off season here becuase it's just to hot. Next weekend will be 110-112.

We tried some 1/2 day events but had a couple people have issues. 

I ice down the Gatorade to dilute as well.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/23 4:27 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Having recently experienced a rather extensive surgery to remove a pre-cancerous spot from my cheek... I want to to add a reminder to wear sunscreen.

Very good advice there.

Luckily my genetics made sure that Im always wearing sunscreen or I combust, being allergic to the sun sucks

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/9/23 4:49 p.m.

I used to bail hay at 15, the only available.  I got heat stroke or heat prostration, dunno which, but it's nothing you want.

Luckily when the ground rushed toward my face I was in a field.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/23 5:11 p.m.

This sucks:

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
7/9/23 8:47 p.m.

My shop is air conditioned....kinda. It's 2400 sq ft, metal with insulation. But - the 3 vehicle doors are roll-up, which can't be insulated. They turn into pretty efficient radiators with the sun on them. sad. The A/C is a 25,000 btu window unit, mounted in the wall. It pretty much runs constantly. At night, with no sun on the building, it can make some headway and bring the temp down around 80, but it loses ground during the day and temps climb towards 90. Better than the 105 or so outside, but still hot. I usually break off around 2:30 - 3 pm and head into the house.

Not so much for me, but for my dogs. When I'm in the shop, they're in the back yard/ covered back porch, but when it's that hot outside, I gotta bring them in. We chill in the house during the afternoons, I catch up on racing I've recorded on the DVR and the dogs nap.

I was born and raised in south Texas, heat never used to bother me much. But as I get older, the combo of heat and humidity are really a problem.      

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/23 2:02 p.m.
Slippery said:

This sucks:

Thanks god himudity is down today

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/11/23 8:11 a.m.

I bought a cool vest back when I was racing as a sort of budget cool suit solution. It's a military grade thing with the chillable packets. They need not be frozen to work, which is nice. I haven't used it in years. If anyone here wants it, message me. Not free, but would go for half the $100+ I paid for it. I can't find a brand name on it, unfortunately.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/11/23 10:16 a.m.

Not much hotter than standing on blacktop in Florida in August. With no breeze.

Thanks for the advice, Doc. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/11/23 11:03 a.m.

If I know I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time in advance for something like a track day,  autox, endurance race, or so on, I'm hydrating in preparation the week prior. Typically with Pedialyte, diluted in water, to keep the body in check. 

The coolsuit pump got jarred loose in our last race at Sebring two weekends ago during the second to last stint. I got into the car for the 9:30-11:00PM checkered flag stint and even though the sun was down, the humidity beat me up. I was hyperfocused on running consistent and fast lap times while also trying to conserve fuel in an effort to make it to the checkered but also hoping to take a class win. I got out of the car and was toast, instant migraine and puking came later. We had a 44 hour marathon day staying up all night to replace an engine. I stayed on top of my hydration between water, gatorade, and Pedialyte but the heat finally caught up to me. With that being said - secure those cool suit pumps, change out the water, add ice, and stay cool in your racecar. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/23 11:09 a.m.

I've got a track day coming up this weekend with a high of 99F forecast. At least it'll be a dry heat, but the sun here (with a mile less atmosphere than, say, Florida) is vicious. I'm not really looking forward to getting into the stripped out V8 track Miata, I might just take the CRX because it doesn't make as much heat. I don't have a cool suit setup.

I'll make sure to get my electrolytes along with liquid, thanks for the suggestion.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/11/23 11:10 a.m.

Re electrolytes - we have used tablets to add to water for running. Gentle taste, no sugar. Don't have them in front of me, but I think the brand is Nuun. I'm sure there are more, but easy to carry tablets and add to a bottle of water. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/23 11:15 a.m.

Nuun is pretty good stuff - they also have some that's caffeinated if that's what you're looking for (or not). We also use LMNT, aka "element" written in a stupid way.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/11/23 11:53 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

With the heat dome that is currently sitting over some of the southern states, there is a lot more information available about the health risks. 

As many of us track our cars and work autocross events in the summer, we need to protect ourselves. I read an article about the results of studies in agricultural workers here in Florida showing widespread kidney damage in people working in the summer heat. 

In the tropics, kidney failure has become a major health risk due to the high temperatures.

Hydration is obviously important. While I'm sure to bring lots of water and try to keep hydrated, one study showed that drinking water wasn't sufficient to prevent kidney damage. None of the study participants that consumed electrolytes had kidney damage. I'm going to start adding some Gatorade to my water. As bottled, it has too much sugar, the original formula was not sweetened at all.
It's best to dilute with water to about 50%.

I also use several techniques including evaporative cooling to control heat. I have been using a wet neck wrap, I wet my shirt and hat and I wear fishing shirts and pants made for hot weather. 

Of course I have a big goofy looking hat, consistent with the autocross stereotype, but I also carry an umbrella when I can (if I'm flagging it's one hand for the flag, the other one for the radio), even during the morning course walk. 

I just ordered an evaporative cooling vest, I'll try it out in the next few weeks and post here. They also make them with ice packs. 

Scientific American article on the subject

This is the time of year it's wonderful to be in Minnesota. This week the high will be in the low 80's and the low will be in the high 50's. 
  Then because we have about 15,000 lakes people can cool off from those.  
Living on a lake, We just open the windows and get a slight breeze going through the house. 
  It's got to be over mid 80's for a while before my temperature sensitive wife will turn on the A/C. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/11/23 12:20 p.m.

This weekend we are looking at 115..............or what I lovingly refer to as hot enough to melt the sun.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/11/23 12:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Nuun is pretty good stuff - they also have some that's caffeinated if that's what you're looking for (or not). We also use LMNT, aka "element" written in a stupid way.

My wife, the serious runner, is a fan of Nuun. 

7/11/23 12:32 p.m.

I ordered some of the Nunn tablets to try. One gram of sugar, still not a lot. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
7/11/23 12:37 p.m.

Thanks for posting , I am often out at a car show or swap meet and now have EzUp canopies to keep shaded , 

I  cring when I see old photos of myself at Sacramento Bug o Rama  at 105 degrees and I am out with no canopy.......

Take care of yourself and an eye on your buddies

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
38pWfQ430o0dQ1QHmrRoqueTsQ2GOMijDppKgvY9S0XtLQM2QWhQr60kXwfD3aXS