1 2 3 4
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/11/20 5:06 p.m.
penultimeta said:

It’s predatory capitalism at its best. Some will argue that, adjusting for inflation, cars are cheaper now than they ever have been. However, this doesn’t take into account that salaries have been relatively stagnant and people are in massive amounts of debt secondary to predatory lending practices; especially educational debt. 

No one is holding you or anyone at gunpoint to purchase a $50k car on an 84 month loan with 27% APR. If you sign the paperwork to do so it's your own doing and shame on you for not doing your research. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
6/11/20 5:08 p.m.
Woody said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

I have never seen an FRS or an 86 at a Toyota dealership in Connecticut since they were introduced. Not even one, and I have made special trips there to check one out.

Every Toyota dealer I've been to out here in SoCal has had one (thats 3 for those that are concerned with how many I've been too). 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 5:14 p.m.

Not at all helpful but I can't see TRD without seeing it Turd. A few years ago my  my nephew pointed out a truck that said TRD warrior on the side and now when I see one I think Turd Warrior and giggle to my self. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/11/20 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

You aren't alone. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/11/20 6:16 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Not at all helpful but I can't see TRD without seeing it Turd. A few years ago my  my nephew pointed out a truck that said TRD warrior on the side and now when I see one I think Turd Warrior and giggle to my self. 

Its definitely a sad acronym.  Could be S(ha)RT tho.  

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
6/11/20 6:49 p.m.

You need to contact that Jen lady from the commercials. She seems nice.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 6:50 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/11/20 7:54 p.m.
penultimeta said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

The "no one's holding a gun to your head" argument is old hat and falls short of an understanding of equality. Not everyone has equal access to make an informed decision. What about the elderly? The mentally handicapped? The poor who do not have access to the wealth of internet knowledge or the skills to know what to search for? It's unreasonable to put the onus on the consumer. 

Wow, just wow ... 

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 8:09 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

care to elaborate? The point is that we all regularly complain about the prices of new cars,  but we rarely address the root of the problem and its broader implications. This thread started because of the difficulty and (in)directness of Toyota. We could, effectively, be a network of activists addressing the automotive industry as a whole. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/11/20 9:00 p.m.

Damn you. I started looking around the Toyota website, got to 4runners, looked at options.....

Just got home with a new one. Seems like a lot of truck for the money. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/20 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Which one did you end up with? I took my wife to look at one but she thought it was kind of outdated, I think they look great. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 9:24 p.m.

That's awesome! And those things hold their value like crazy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/11/20 9:31 p.m.
penultimeta said:

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

care to elaborate? The point is that we all regularly complain about the prices of new cars,  but we rarely address the root of the problem and its broader implications. This thread started because of the difficulty and (in)directness of Toyota. We could, effectively, be a network of activists addressing the automotive industry as a whole. 

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Let me know if that needs eleborating.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 9:51 p.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/11/20 10:01 p.m.
penultimeta said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Let’s not confuse “law” and “right”. Just because something is legal doesn’t make it ok. Slavery was legal. As was segregation. “The law is the law” is the echoing of a racist, sexist, and ableist society. Worse yet, the injustice of that rhetoric is that it’s turned the people against one another distracting us from a system designed to perpetuate inequality such that we forget that we can demand more from our political and industry leaders. 

Well, I suspect you've done a great job of floundering this one. Comparing slavery to people taking out loans they can't afford. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/11/20 10:05 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Which one did you end up with? I took my wife to look at one but she thought it was kind of outdated, I think they look great. 

Nightshade edition. It's a limited with blacked out trim. I really liked the Pro, but don't need it, and the interior of this one was nicer. I went with no 3rd row seat, but power running boards. Dark gray. 

I actually like the "outdated" part of it. It's a truck, and looks like a truck. Most everything else looks like a minivan. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 10:32 p.m.
penultimeta said:

It's a giant corporation...  them up for a future of greater earning potential. 

Build your own or buy used (preferably broken) and fix it yourself. 

Oh, wait? Not everybody has those skills, tools and the time to do that? I know. That's why there is an economy, even if it is just based on barter. That said, there are better hills for me to die on than having an economic argument on a motor sports website during the start of yet another recession.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 10:33 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Nightshade edition. It's a limited with blacked out trim. I really liked the Pro, but don't need it, and the interior of this one was nicer. I went with no 3rd row seat, but power running boards. Dark gray. 

I actually like the "outdated" part of it. It's a truck, and looks like a truck. Most everything else looks like a minivan. 

Nice. I like the green color they have now., but I'm likely in the minority on that.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/11/20 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

If I got the pro, it was going to be the green. 

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 10:49 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/11/20 10:54 p.m.

In reply to penultimeta :

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 11:16 p.m.

My logic is sound. I’m sorry you don’t like the conclusions. What you could do is reject my premises altogether. If my premises aren’t true (i.e free market capitalism doesn’t require referees and is truly caveat emptor) then the conclusions necessarily are false. At that point, we’d be at an impasse because we’d be working with two different logic sets. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
6/11/20 11:33 p.m.
penultimeta said:

My logic is sound. I’m sorry you don’t like the conclusions. What you could do is reject my premises altogether. If my premises aren’t true (i.e free market capitalism doesn’t require referees and is truly caveat emptor) then the conclusions necessarily are false. At that point, we’d be at an impasse because we’d be working with two different logic sets. 

I didn't read your "sound" arguments, and have 0 interest in your "conclusions"

I'm in this thread to read about Woodys truck, and enjoy my 4Runner, not debate someone about how unfair life is and why it's not their fault. 

as stated above, I like the green ones. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/11/20 11:47 p.m.

It does suck though that Toyota is the only company that sells cars and truck and there aren't other ones that could have much better prices and financing options.

Speaking of which, when I see Kia, I always thing KIA, as in Killed In Action, which is unfortunate.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/11/20 11:54 p.m.

It’s impossible to discuss the purchase of a commodity without considering the bigger picture of the reason that some people are in a position to purchase said commodity and some are not. Life is unfair, but it’s more unfair to some than others. I’m happy that many of us are in a position to afford a new vehicle, that’s not the issue. The issue of getting a straight answer from Toyota was difficult and that seems intentionally misleading. One shouldn’t have to seek out a very niche automotive forum and stumble upon another member who happens to know the information that the manufacturer should’ve been up front about in the first place. This is just one area that’s illustrative of    the greed that’s pervasive in so many industries. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TRH4B2zljfblDJzuE5fi3r3QsNZLF6QPFBLl0Vfz9GmTK9nwlXy64iVy9EKij0L4