1 2 3 4
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/20/18 1:30 p.m.

One of the big things that really improved both the handling and comfort with the c5 was they went with a longer wheelbase. The c5 has 104 inch wheel base while the c4 only has 96 inch one. That was the previous typical philosophy that sports should have really short wheelbases. In reality it makes for uncomfortable rides and snap oversteer etc. But that was typical of sports car during those periods.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/20/18 1:42 p.m.

I ended up driving my dad’s 79 for a semester in high school, and it was ok. As a kid I thought it was awesome and weird, and certainly liked it better than my Sentra at the time. I’m a ford guy generally, but I think I’d love to score a zr-1 and only drive it a few times a year. I didn’t love the way that the looked growing up (I’m 38),  but they’ve grown on me now and I do agree that they could end up being classics. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/20/18 1:46 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Definitely not. Unless you hold out for JG’s Z06 when he’s done with it. 

Edit: To give a little detail to my “no” answer, spend some time around Corvette owners - a Vette-only show, or if you really want to be scarred for life, join the Corvette Owners, Wives & Girlfriends secret Facebook group...

There are a lot of seriously creepy Vette owners out there, that go way beyond the stereotypes. Oh sure, there are cool ones & racers too, but it’s a minuscule number compared to the rest. I do not want any association with that mess...

What's the difference between JG's and the other Vettes and it's connection to the reason you wouldn't own one, or why would owning that one be OK and not the other ones and how does it tie in to the Facebook/creepy/stereotypical Vette owner situation you experienced?

I've driven a C5Z for the last 4 years. The only negative thing I can think to say about it is, even though I've raced most of my life, I have to be really careful with this car. That's a first for me. After driving it a few weeks I completely understand why people end up upside down/dead in these cars. They are so well behaved, so mild mannered under normal circumstances and so fast and incredibly capable when you get into it that I think many people end up in over their skill level too quickly to do something about it and something bad happens.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the car, but if I were to do it again I would have bought the beater C5 that I first looked at. It was cheap and probably more suitable for what I was doing. Mine is a low mileage, very clean 50th anniverssary car. I got a great deal on it (it's worth more now than I paid for it) but I'm afraid to park it anywhere, and it's a bitch to commute in if there's construction because I'm so careful with it. I don't want to be careful with my cars. I want to drive and beat on them with less regard to their condition, collectibility or value. Bottom line, I shouldn't have bought one so nice, but that's me. I don't know if that kind of thing matters to you but it never occurred to me until I already had the car.

I was going to sell it this year and buy something else but I now have 2 problems. I'm enjoying it so much I might not want to part with it, and anything else I can afford is not going to be near as capable as this car - though that might not be a bad thing.

Those Cobalts are very capable and reliable cars. If you're so inclined, go look at one and drive it. You may like it and they are very inexpensive. You can always drive it a year or two and if you buy it right recoup your money (or give it to your son), then get a C5. You won't buy a C5 then go down to a Cobalt later. I guarantee it.

In 4 years I've never spoken to another Vette owner. I didn't buy the car as a social accessory, I bought it because I wanted a fast, reliable nice to look at car. I suspect you're the same.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/20/18 1:55 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Edit: To give a little detail to my “no” answer, spend some time around Corvette owners - a Vette-only show, or if you really want to be scarred for life, join the Corvette Owners, Wives & Girlfriends secret Facebook group...

There are a lot of seriously creepy Vette owners out there, that go way beyond the stereotypes. Oh sure, there are cool ones & racers too, but it’s a minuscule number compared to the rest. I do not want any association with that mess...

And that’s any different then any other car?

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/20/18 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Buy a C 5 or even better a C-6 with high miles.  Newish one. High miles means the guy drove it a lot and if he has records of maintenance done on time the mechanical bits will still be in excellent shape.  

That’s what I did with my C4.  Bought one with high miles but regular record of maintenance done by the dealer. Bought it when everybody is storing or selling the Corvette for Winter. After Halloween.  Get one the year after the new model comes out.  Prices for the old model will be in free fall. 

I was a traveling salesman so I piled up 75-80,000 miles per year but they were all easy highway miles. 

Hardest miles on any car is start up. Next is short run. Followed by racing like autocross.  Next hardest is no miles, just sitting.  So if you want value, buy the obsolete model a year after the new one comes out. With high miles and after Halloween  

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
7/20/18 2:12 p.m.

I've only had the pleasure to drive a C3 ('72 to be exact) and a C6 Z06.  My brother had the C3 for over 15 yrs, it was the std. a 350/TH400 combo and was restored/mildly modified - suspension and H/C/I.  It was a fun car, not FAST but quick, although I think it needed to be properly tuned.  The C6 caught me off guard as I was pleasantly shocked at how comfortable it was and the ride when just cruising around.  It also knocked down 26mpg during a highway trip.  I wonder why we haven't seen any other production cars with transverse leaf springs, they seem to work just fine here.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/18 3:08 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Pete Gossett said:

Yes, honestly it is. I’ve  been into a variety of marques over the years, from Miatas & VWs to domestics & Jeeps, but the typical Corvette people that I encountered over ~18 months of ownership gave me the creeps. Some TV network could make a fortune if they created a reality show about them. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/18 3:31 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Pete Gossett said:

Yes, honestly it is. I’ve  been into a variety of marques over the years, from Miatas & VWs to domestics & Jeeps, but the typical Corvette people that I encountered over ~18 months of ownership gave me the creeps. Some TV network could make a fortune if they created a reality show about them. 

This and the "profile" Harley owners.    Owned both, can attest to this.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/20/18 3:46 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Pete Gossett said:

There is a rather odd subculture with some Corvette owners. The ones who take their Corvettes racing outside of all-Corvette events usually aren't part of the sub-culture; if you want to see them in their natural habitat, look for a cruise-in that allows late models, or stake out your local Hooters until you see a group of them come in. The closest I've seen that compares to this group is either hardcore Mopar fans or Harley riders, but there's something else this particular set of Corvette owners gives off - it's like they enjoy making everyone know they are a Corvette owner more than they enjoy driving, racing, or wrenching on their Corvettes.

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
7/20/18 4:03 p.m.

I own both a C4 (1985) and  C5 Z06.  I love my C4, I love the way it drives, the feel, the contact to the road I love all the stupid quirks of it.  That being said, get a C5.  It is easier to work on, the LS motor is amazing, it is more comfortable, it is way easier to get in and out of and is easier to drive and keep up, it lives better on the track.  Test drive both, if you love all the 80's greatness of a C4 and you can deal with the downsides and you still want it fantastic.  

A quick guideline on C4's, an 89 will get you a digi-dash and the transmission switched from the Doug Nash 4+3 to a ZF-6 speed.  90-91 will get you a good small block chevy equipped car with tuned port injection with a more traditional dashboard.  If you're looking for an LT-1/4 equipped car hold out for a '95 or a '96 but know that the 96 has the softest suspension of the C4's. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork

My friends always gave me E36 M3 for not having a Corvette leather jacket in 10 different gaudy colors when I had mine.

Just look in the Mid America catalog some time if you get the chance.  A solid 1/3 of it is ugly/cheap Chinese stuff with a Corvette logo tacked on, selling for megabucks.  Imagine the stuff that companies give away at company picnics with their logo on it like a plastic water bottle.  Now add a Corvette logo and charge $29.99 for it.  Old guys with Corvettes have this stuff all over their place.

I think some of it is that they saw the Corvette as their halo car, and now that they have it, they want everyone to know they have it.  A lot of that stuff would appear to sell well to lower class folks who got a sizable inheritance they decided to blow, or wanna-be upper class folks in over-leveraged mcmansions and crippling HELOCs.

I must confess I have one item of Corvette paraphernalia left, its a Hallmark christmas ornament of a C5, about the size of a Hotwheels.  Was marked $34.99, I paid $0.50 at a swap meet, brand new in box.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
MadScientistMatt said:
Pete Gossett said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Pete Gossett said:

There is a rather odd subculture with some Corvette owners. The ones who take their Corvettes racing outside of all-Corvette events usually aren't part of the sub-culture; if you want to see them in their natural habitat, look for a cruise-in that allows late models, or stake out your local Hooters until you see a group of them come in. The closest I've seen that compares to this group is either hardcore Mopar fans or Harley riders, but there's something else this particular set of Corvette owners gives off - it's like they enjoy making everyone know they are a Corvette owner more than they enjoy driving, racing, or wrenching on their Corvettes.

“it's like they enjoy making everyone know they are a Corvette owner more than they enjoy driving, racing, or wrenching on their Corvettes.”

Dingdingding - we have a winner!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/20/18 4:05 p.m.

Goddamit.

1. I kinda want this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/d/1984-corvette-383-stroker-fast/6646211025.html

B. Holy E36 M3: C7s are in the 30’s...which makes buying an RS seem kinda silly.

poopshovel again
7/20/18 4:12 p.m.

I think if you’re insecure about being lumped in with “corvette douches,” you’re likely as douchey as the douchiest corvette douche.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but 99% of the vette guys I’ve met have been regular car guys. Then again, I hang out at the track & not Hooters...and LSXperts is right down the street.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/20/18 4:33 p.m.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. I didn't want to be that guy - I'm always that guy.

And yes, you're right about the RS thing

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/18 4:43 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Goddamit.

1. I kinda want this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/d/1984-corvette-383-stroker-fast/6646211025.html

B. Holy E36 M3: C7s are in the 30’s...which makes buying an RS seem kinda silly.

Depends on how much utility you need.  There's a reason I didn't get a 2-seater or a 2+2 for my daily.  Kids and utilty won out, but didn't kill the ability to still have some fun.

poopshovel again
7/20/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Oh yeah, man. I get it. That wasn’t intended as a slam. My bad. 

More “holy crap vettes are a bargain” than “holy crap RSs are overpriced,” and obviously it’s an apples and orangutans comparison.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/18 5:16 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Stefan :

Oh yeah, man. I get it. That wasn’t intended as a slam. My bad. 

No worries, I didn't take it as such.  I was >< close to buying an ND, then we got pregnant, so the RS was the next best option to get into a "Dad" car that would also allow a good amount of fun.  A Corvette would also have worked instead of the ND, but yeah, life had other plans.  Do what fits your needs best.

In hindsight, I kinda wish I had bought a Mazda 5 and built myself a toy to haul behind it, but that's because the RS is a bit much for my daily needs and the extra space of the 5 would have been handy (and the wife hates minivans, so the only way one ends up in the driveway is if I buy one).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/20/18 5:22 p.m.

Is a C4 fun to drive hard? Yes. Is it easy to live with as a car? No. If you’re over 5’2” and have feet don’t buy a manual trans car. You won’t have any place to fit your feet. In summer you’ll burn your right leg on the tunnel. Ergonomics, what’s that?

save for a C5 or 6. It’s worth it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/20/18 5:42 p.m.
grover said:

I ended up driving my dad’s 79 for a semester in high school

This guy was winning.  

In my senior year I rode the bus and sometimes my buddy gave me a ride in his Chevrolet 4x4 truck.  

This is probably how I ended up becoming Datsun 310 guy.  

freetors
freetors Reader
7/20/18 6:01 p.m.

My mom recently bought a C5 auto car that I've driven a few times. I've also driven a manual c5 before. I guess they're nice driving cars but I don't really see the appeal. I just don't feel like they're are all that fun. They are pretty tame and without much drama. I do think they'd be a fantastic and comfortable gt car for a sporty trip though.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/20/18 10:40 p.m.

Toyman:

I’m glad to tell you the ways you will find a C5 comparatively better and worse, but will stick to the original question instead. 

You’ll be happiest if you keep to a relatively stock class. I’m specifically thinking of retained AC. There are approximately 377.6 cu ft* of area under glass thanks to the rear hatch and steeply raked windshield, more with the transparent roof panel  

*Actually less, but that’s what it will seem like. 

So, tint the windows, keep the factory AC and get a static cling dot matrix insert for the transparent top. 

The 94-96 cars have the most refined interiors and are nice places to spend time. The base seats for these years are roomy enough for bigger guys. For earlier cars and cars with sport seats, try them on for size, the sport seats are excellent but somewhat narrow. 

There was a change to zero scrub radius in the front suspension for 88 and 17” wheels became standard. This is a desirable feature because of limited tire availability for the earlier 16” wheels. 

You want the performance axle (look for RPO G92) and ideally a Z51, Z52 or Z07 optioned car. If you find a right car without these performance handling packages, consider swapping the steering rack (fiddly but doable) for a Z51 rack. Otherwise your hands will be busy on an autocross course. 

Finally, automatic is a penalty-free choice for autox but if a manual is a must, go 89-96 and avoid the earlier 4+3 owing to its rather long throws. 

There are additional nuances but that’s the basics. Lmk if you have questions. C4s have great torque and your hips and seat are roughly positioned at the car’s pivot point., giving excellent feedback and contributing to fun times through the cones. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/20/18 10:40 p.m.
NickD said:

Also, the C4 has some pretty idiotic engineering. For example, need to replace the battery? Prepare to remove the left front fender and the entire rocker panel

Sorry man, you’re doing it wrong. Gill panel yes, rocker no. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
7/21/18 10:20 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

I think if you’re insecure about being lumped in with “corvette douches,” you’re likely as douchey as the douchiest corvette douche.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but 99% of the vette guys I’ve met have been regular car guys. Then again, I hang out at the track & not Hooters...and LSXperts is right down the street.

And it would be like not getting a miata cause of the hairstylist or girl car comments some make about. Reality is these types of douche buy and driver every type of vehicle imaginable.

and true car people don’t give a E36 M3

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/21/18 2:59 p.m.

The older Corvettes do not offer a very gratifying driving/handling experience and for that alone I have never been tempted by them, although I do admire the C2 styling for some reason.  Whenever I've driven one the fact that they handle like a truck always quashes any temptation to own one.

Frankly, the only one that impresses me from a performance point of view is the C7 which is just a so much better package than anything that came before!  Had they not been styled by someone that was obviously too attracted to transformer toys in his youth, I might even have been tempted to own one.

I am reserving judgement on the C8.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kozgjAtRdKKt8eQvNOVZNrwknmQxtMKVAblMa7mg53pxOmuUvc01h46vo8vBw9zU