Freeland
Freeland
12/19/21 7:07 a.m.

Hello,

I got a 40-row oil cooler for a project not related to motors, but I thought I'd ask you guys since you deal with this sort of stuff. How much  KW capacity is in a 40-row oil cooler?

Thanks!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/21 11:02 a.m.

I think it depends primarily on:

1. The temperature differential between the oil and the air.

2. The mass of air you can flow through the cooler (the mass of oil too, but I'd guess that's not normally the limiting factor).

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/19/21 12:00 p.m.

Robbie's right. There is no one answer.  Air flow through( and past cooler) is the magic factor.  For example is air ducted into it? What is downstream to interfere with air flow? Radiator? Engine?  
   You can spend a lot of time calculating all of that and still be significantly off. Or simply go ahead and try it

Freeland
Freeland New Reader
12/19/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Hi. This oil cooler is mounted to a 12" 12v 80w fan. I want it to blow off around 5000 BTU.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
12/19/21 1:01 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Or simply go ahead and try it

The only answer.  The only variable is how you mount it to get air to it.  Maximize that and if the oil still gets to hot, you need a bigger one.

On race cars I tend to run a larger than probably needed cooler, which means taking time to get up to proper oil operating temp, but it never overheats.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/21 1:34 p.m.

On line calculator.    You probably need to be a little mathy though...

Hydraulic Oil Cooler Sizing Calculator, Accumulator Solutions | Parker - Parker

Freeland
Freeland New Reader
12/19/21 3:09 p.m.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your inputs.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/21 8:00 p.m.

In addition to the mentioned air flow rate and temperature differential, it also depends a lot on the design of the core.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rPBbwDGJTz1IzuVFvjji5snFE9nbyV21KbGg7uExGuqYCoXYufXZfEehm2bq87WW