scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
3/18/24 10:09 p.m.

Looking for some insights into the new Buick envista,  saw one the other day and was shocked it was a Buick,  so shocked that i stopped by the stealership to check it out. Was shocked again when i saw the price and that it has a 3 cylinder motor.  Took it for a test drive and it had more power than i thought it should. So the question is, will this thing last longer that a tootsies pop or will it be a long term miserable money trap?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/18/24 10:25 p.m.

Around here, these things are everywhere.  The first time I saw a new Trax I thought it might be a Subaru product.  I think I thought that because they appear to be more of a raised wagon than a tall body SUV.  The appearance of the sheetmetal is wide and low where as most SUVs (like the previous Trax is sheetmetal of narrow and tall.  

They might be everywhere because the are Chevy's cheapest model.  Interestingly, the Trax does not offer awd at all.  Just fwd.  But, that probably keeps it cheap and most people dont need the awd anyway.  

My thought is their target market is the perpetual lease customer.  A $300 lease used to get you something mid, like a Equinox.  Now, to hit that price point, you're down to this Trax but by appearance, it doesn't seem as lowly as the previous Trax.  And, with a typical 3 year lease, its probably wise to own one of these with a warranty and not plan to have it too long.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/19/24 1:39 a.m.

I'm seeing the Buick around quite a bit. I like the look, although I dislike the new Buick logo - looks too much like a Monster Energy logo. Anybody else see it?

I know nothing about the cars themselves though. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/19/24 8:21 a.m.
mtn said:

I'm seeing the Buick around quite a bit. I like the look, although I dislike the new Buick logo - looks too much like a Monster Energy logo. Anybody else see it?

I thought it looked like three electric shavers side by side by side.

As for the vehicles, they're pretty new, not much to say here. They have the usual infotainment issues that every new car has (screen goes black or locks up, phones won't pair, etc) that there will be a million reprograms for and none of them will fix. The 1.3L seems to be a pretty decent engine, although the evaporative emissions purge pump will likely set a CEL at a very low mileage for Pump Underspeed that requires pump replacement. They're dropping like flies on all the GM turbo 3- and 4-cylinders. Also, I'm not sure how much this matters to you or not, but the Envista and the new Trax are not available with AWD. They are FWD only. If you want AWD, you have to go to the Trailblazer or the Encore GX.

My personal opinion; the new Trax is seriously a nice-looking vehicle, quite a glow-up over the previous dumpy potato on wheels. The Envista, I think is hideous, with it's squinty headlights and the stupid coupe roofline that annihilates the rear cargo space.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/24 8:28 a.m.

We had a 2014 Buick Encore that went to my daughter who still drives it. It's the previous model of course, but I can tell you that it has been mechanically very sound. The only issue we encountered was that the auto-dipping side mirrors would refuse to move back up automatically, requiring quite a few warranty fixes before being resolved. We also had to replace the exhaust once it rusted out (PA thing) and it needed new shocks at 100,000 miles or so. Other than that and routine maintenance items, it has been rock solid. 

The day we traded in the Soul for her in 2016.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/19/24 9:43 a.m.

I also commend that these low price cars are being offered in colors. Not just white, black, and 3 shades of gray.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/19/24 10:40 a.m.

My daughter has the new Trax. It's been great 9500 miles in. She loves it. I drive it and all I can think about is that sewing machine under the hood. It's not a neck snapper on acceleration but it will get you up to speed on the expressway ok. You won't need a good tailwind any way... I'd like it better if it had at least a 4 cylinder under the hood

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/19/24 10:46 a.m.

These have been popular, i like the look of the chevy over the buick every day of the week. These are actually made in south korea so a more modern assembly plant and higher quality ops I would say given the high tech facility its made out of. The 3cyl is pretty neat and has been used a lot in the APM areas but new to NA. 

I'm shocked that we can make a profitable small car for once, its not in GM's history as a major sucsess story...

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
3/19/24 11:13 a.m.

I know this is more focused on the new Trax but those have a lot of shared components with the Trailblazer.  My company car is a 2022 Trailblazer LT with the 1.3 T, AWD and the associated 9 speed auto.  Considering the price point (about $25K) it's been a decent appliance so far. It's not going to win any drag races but at 155HP / 174 torque it's adequate for most driving and I've seen 36 mpg on a couple of highway trips.  It has heated cloth seats in front, wireless Car Play or Android Auto with an 8" screen, the interior layout is a nice mix of cloth inserts and soft plastics of varying texture in gray and black.  Just under 26K miles and only oil changes so far.   

Wait, this is a Buick!?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/19/24 1:27 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

was there much difference in interior room, Kia Vs. Buick?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9fvdXjSCiToIVbXFqPo9NWyhZ08HlZdzehiMHFIa3pojw70fJBnVgvozc0aQdZS9