JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/19/24 11:35 a.m.
feature_image

Half-ton trucks have four cylinders now. What a world.

Chevy just dropped off a new half-ton pickup, but instead of V8 power under the hood, it’s a 2.7-liter turbo four-cylinder hauling your load to the construction site. It’s… weird. But, hey, if it works, it works.

Chevy says the pressurized mill is good for 310 horsepower, a stump-pulling 430 ft.-lbs. …

Read the rest of the story

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
1/19/24 1:38 p.m.

wild that a 2.7T 1500 is now rated to tow what a 3/4 ton with a decent size V8 would do not all that long ago. That 2.7T is rated nearly the same as the 8.1 in my suburban in terms of output, and has more than double the gears to work with.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/24 1:40 p.m.

How does using this compare to the Lightning? 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/24 1:58 p.m.

FWIW: We looked at a Trail Boss back in July. I really like the look of these and thought that would be the truck we would end up with.  I don't remember which trim level it was but I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of the interior. It also had the roughest ride out of the three trucks that we test drove. (Ford/Dodge/Chevy). I also briefly drove a 1500 LT 2WD earlier in the year and had the same impressions.

elwoodboll
elwoodboll New Reader
1/19/24 2:08 p.m.

How does it do towing through the mountains of FL? ;)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/24 2:27 p.m.

As an early adopter to the GM 2.7T I can say that it's a great companion.

2021 Silverado Crew Cab 2.7t 2WD.

Over 67,000 miles of daily operation I have averaged 22.3mpg with a little over over 10,000 miles towing a 22 foot open deck car trailer with nothing lighter than Angrys Corvair. I am still on the stock brakes and replaced the OE Bridgestones at 66566 miles with a set of Michelins because it was them or mud tires that day. 

Torque? Yep it's got it. Android Auto? Flawlessly works. Comfortable? To me, yes. It's tall, wide, has a lot of seat adjustment.

Complaints? Stock sound system is almost adequate. Needs 150 more watts and better drivers as well as a powered subwoofer. Needs seat height adjustment, I'm a little long in the torso and I can't get a view of the speedo no way no how. 

Two thumbs up from me.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/19/24 2:28 p.m.

In reply to elwoodboll :

The ones in Tennessee didn't phase mine. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/19/24 2:29 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Mine has the 8 speed and it uses like 4 of them. It's possibly the ONLY thing on the drivetrain that I am not IMPRESSED with, I'm more "oh it's there"

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/19/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I will tell you that under my foot it feels like it accelerates better than my 2000 GMC 6.0 4L80e the 16.5mpg while towing is double than what the 6.0 got. 

JG Pasterjak
1/19/24 4:39 p.m.

14.1 mpg on the 180-mile round trip to the FIRM towing the BMW today. Mostly 65-ish mph backroads where setting the cruise is an option, but only for 5-10 minuts at a time. So that's slightly better than my Tundra, although that's not a high bar to clear.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/24 4:58 p.m.

So that's about a 17% drop in range :) 

Dneikirk
Dneikirk New Reader
1/19/24 5:20 p.m.

How's the driveline holding up after 150,000 miles and some towing? Actually question for any with experience, not snark. 

Also, and difference with premium vs regular?

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
1/20/24 3:19 p.m.

A friend had the 1/2 ton Colorado, I think it was.  Diesel for towing his autocross car/trailer over the Sierra Nevadas so wasn't no Florida service....  Got great mileage, high teens or low 20's IIRC, he had been really happy with it.  Rig was well within the max tow capacity listed.  But the transmission went out around 70,000 and it was many weeks before a new one was available.  He sold it shortly thereafter.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
1/21/24 1:04 p.m.

Wow is that with the trailer pictured in the OP? If so I am not impressed. My 2005 Silverado got 15.2 pulling a steel car trailer with a Miata under similar conditions to the same location from SE Georgia.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/21/24 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Dneikirk :

I have only ran regular unleaded in mine. I cannot speak for the 150K mark yet. 

JG Pasterjak
1/22/24 11:10 p.m.

Been driving around town a bit since Friday and mileage without a trailer in town isn;t much better than mileage with a trailer on the highway. Been seeing maybe 16 when i'm lucky. 

Also realized how big this thing is. Parked next to a RAM1500 at the club today and the Chevy kind of towers over in in every dimension.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/24 9:11 a.m.

Wait until y’all see what’s replacing the Trail Boss. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/25/24 11:43 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Been driving around town a bit since Friday and mileage without a trailer in town isn;t much better than mileage with a trailer on the highway. Been seeing maybe 16 when i'm lucky. 

Also realized how big this thing is. Parked next to a RAM1500 at the club today and the Chevy kind of towers over in in every dimension.

The 2WD is similar in height. It's stupid. 

Austincrx
Austincrx New Reader
1/26/24 4:32 p.m.

I'd like to know how it does with an enclosed trailer.  My 2014 Silverado 1500 is rated to 9600 lbs and tows my 7000 lbs enclosed car hauler 'okay'.  Unless you like using 3rd gear (6-speed tranny) at 65 mph to get up hills, it's not ideal.  Fuel economy is around 8 when towing in the hills of SC.  I'm considering a 7.3L gas V8 F250, but not for the price.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
1/26/24 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Austincrx :

Next year (2025) I will be towing the 28 footer to the challenge. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CIQgDuyL16ylprXtuH22jsuD4wJ2RinPp0xE86V5qC7tJoHi9jciL62gCeUEixIE