Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/23 11:47 a.m.
Antihero
9/30/23 11:48 a.m.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/30/23 12:02 p.m.

I bet you could get a couple of good wheelies out of it before the transmission lets go. devil

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/30/23 12:30 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

I bet you could get a couple of good wheelies out of it before the transmission lets go. devil

It does appear that it would be even more tail-heavy than a stock beetle, which is somewhat alarming.  And it won't be lacking for torque.

9/30/23 12:40 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

My guess is that is has a good bit of torque with a lot of rotational mass. ( I'm speaking way out of my pay grade smiley) Pop the clutch in 3rd or 4th...

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
9/30/23 12:44 p.m.

I've dreampt of a V2203 Beetle for years. Without clutch dumping or beating on it offroad I woudn't worry too much about this. People with T1 engines are putting 150ft*lbs through stock transmissions, though a 002 or 091 would really be nice here. You want the higher gearing of the T1 trans though. The redline on the Kubota is a "little" lower than I'd like for high speed cruising, but I bet this thing would be perfect for 45mph roads. Nice smooth diesel power delivery is prime.

Antihero
9/30/23 7:30 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've dreampt of a V2203 Beetle for years. Without clutch dumping or beating on it offroad I woudn't worry too much about this. People with T1 engines are putting 150ft*lbs through stock transmissions, though a 003 or 091 would really be nice here. You want the higher gearing of the T1 trans though. The redline on the Kubota is a "little" lower than I'd like for high speed cruising, but I bet this thing would be perfect for 45mph roads. Nice smooth diesel power delivery is prime.

No offense but I'm genuinely surprised that this is someone's dream

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/30/23 7:37 p.m.

Well I like how the ad says that the engine is fully integrated into the car. It looks to me as though only about 6 in of it is actually integrated into the car. Although I suppose that's nothing that a good rear ender wouldn't fix in a hurry. If you could move the cooling system around the front and rig up some kind of a whale tail it would look a lot better.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/23 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Seriously? GRM is filled with weird E36 M3 dreams like this  I almost expect it. laugh

Antihero
9/30/23 7:46 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Antihero :

Seriously? GRM is filled with weird E36 M3 dreams like this  I almost expect it. laugh

That's fair, we are all insane here

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/23 7:47 p.m.

That seems like a reasonable price for a bug that runs and drives and isn't rotted to pieces. It looks better without the engine cover on it. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/23 9:14 p.m.

Looks like this ran into the back of it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/23 10:15 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Rear ended by Richard Hammond.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/30/23 11:16 p.m.

Wow!

According to Kubota that motor weighs 397lbs and makes 105ft/lbs and a whopping 48hp. 

This is something I simply don't understand the appeal of

10/1/23 8:02 a.m.
Trent said:

Wow!

According to Kubota that motor weighs 397lbs and makes 105ft/lbs and a whopping 48hp. 

This is something I simply don't understand the appeal of

Same here but I'm impressed with the fab work. I bet he enjoyed building it.

10/1/23 8:41 a.m.

"According to Kubota that motor weighs 397lbs"

What's the first thing that went through the bug's mind when he hit the windshield?

10/1/23 8:42 a.m.

His ass! crying

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/23 9:51 a.m.

That motor likely only revs to just over 3000rpm also.  Kinda silly as a swap to a car. But looks cool with the butt-doghouse off. 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/1/23 1:58 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tMXHFltQKcX8woKXsNxNetwdhaU1GiRl8yLNNek5e6nHkEBk85Zshpk0O3Av4iHa