1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 3:00 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Can you get to the New Philly, OH location of IAA on Fridays for the pre-inspection of their Monday auctions?  

I have written a lot about my experiences with the Lorain, OH branch.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-auto-auctions-copart-brokers-iaas-etc/132812/page1/

I’ve been trying to go to one of the area auctions. There’s one a little closer in Canal Fulton every Saturday that’s open to the public.  Repos mostly. I’m just too lazy to drive there and hang out for a day.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/20/18 4:01 p.m.
edizzle89 said:

Ad's that say "ran great, just needs a X (usually a basic part that would keep it from actually starting, like a battery, starter, etc.)" always sounds like a seller trying to hide a big mechanical issue. Or "drives well with no problems, just needs driveshaft put back in" says trans or axle issue.

ugh totally. "all it needs is an O2 sensor"

OK, great. They're $30. How about you go get one, put it in and THEN maybe I'll think about giving you thousands of dollars for it.

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
9/20/18 4:27 p.m.
P3PPY said:
edizzle89 said:

Ad's that say "ran great, just needs a X (usually a basic part that would keep it from actually starting, like a battery, starter, etc.)" always sounds like a seller trying to hide a big mechanical issue. Or "drives well with no problems, just needs driveshaft put back in" says trans or axle issue.

OK, great. They're $30. How about you go get one, put it in and THEN maybe I'll think about giving you thousands of dollars for it.

Kinda likes when someone comes into our shop and tells us how to fix their vehicle 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
9/20/18 7:23 p.m.

In my opinion, non-runners are worth scrap value and that's it.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
9/20/18 10:15 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Can you get to the New Philly, OH location of IAA on Fridays for the pre-inspection of their Monday auctions?  

I have written a lot about my experiences with the Lorain, OH branch.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-auto-auctions-copart-brokers-iaas-etc/132812/page1/

Thanks for this!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/20/18 10:47 p.m.

Some of my best deals ever have been non runners.  I’m always on the hunt for a good deal on a non runner,  mainly euro cars because most people are afraid of them.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/21/18 6:51 a.m.
NGTD said:

That my take in it.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/21/18 7:02 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
NGTD said:

That my take in it.  

You guys haven’t been reading my part out thread. ;)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/21/18 7:43 a.m.
P3PPY said:

I have great sympathy for people in this situation.  To people here an O2 sensor may be a $30 and 30 min fix.  But to 99.9% of the population it's probably a $2-3-4-500 bill.  First they will be charged diagnosis time, then full retail price for the O2 sensor, quite probably two of them as 'well if ones gone the 2nd will be going soon'  Then they will be charged $80-100 per hour for at least a couple of hours.  We've had numerous threads here about how people feel friends and family have been overcharged for simple repairs.  Half the board seems to think all auto shops are all run by millionaire crooks with a license to print money at the expense of suckers, the other half points out the overheads, time, flake customers etc. that show the prices charged aren't insane.  

Net result, an O2 sensor (or other $20-50 part) is way way more than the theoretical best part price ($30) fix.  Many people know that and many people know there are entusiasts out there who are willing and able to tackle repairs and issues beyond the majority of the population and thus will be interested in a non running or mechanics special.  It doesn't make people who can't or wont work on cars bad people.  Different people have different interests and skill sets.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/18 8:03 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Adrian you are correct. These are very valid points and cases like that are what guys like us love to find, right? Like the $200 Bronco that won't start because of a bad transmission (it was a starter)

However, in the instance I'm quoting with some eyerolling, the guy himself told us how easy the O2 sensor was to replace as he was trying to pawn off his car. But yes, in many cases you're right

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fMq4uY5uTKJOD8PawiwO4woxRAtqxjqxrwExH8Q6F8MQrvvERQ3iu3k8GejlS8Bh