1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/22 7:43 a.m.

Those are great numbers to see. For an interesting comparison, the North American e36 M3 typically dyno'd around 210 rwhp and 205 rwtq. But the curb weight of that car was ~3,100-3,200, iirc. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/5/22 9:55 a.m.

Congrats on the new ride!

I really, really want one (loved my '15 BRZ)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/22 10:44 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

In today's crazy market used cars are not quite the deal they once were.  I also suspect that we are reaching a pinnacle on internal combustion engine vehicles.  How much longer will I be able to order a lightweight rear wheel drive manual sports car?

This is the exact train of thought I had when buying my ND RF this summer. Congrats! Wanna duke it out at the Challenge Exhibition...for science?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/5/22 11:56 a.m.
maschinenbau said:
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

In today's crazy market used cars are not quite the deal they once were.  I also suspect that we are reaching a pinnacle on internal combustion engine vehicles.  How much longer will I be able to order a lightweight rear wheel drive manual sports car?

This is the exact train of thought I had when buying my ND RF this summer. Congrats! Wanna duke it out at the Challenge Exhibition...for science?

That would be awesome!  I am down

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
1/5/22 11:58 a.m.
dyintorace said:

Those are great numbers to see. For an interesting comparison, the North American e36 M3 typically dyno'd around 210 rwhp and 205 rwtq. But the curb weight of that car was ~3,100-3,200, iirc. 

I have had several e36 m3's over the years, that was the power to weight ratio i was hoping for.  Based on the dyno results and the weight it should be a little better.

It also compares very favorably with an s2000, weight and power wise.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
1/5/22 12:08 p.m.

Man those numbers make it sound like the reported power is conservative. No wonder it's quicker than an E36 M3. Exciting!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/22 12:54 p.m.

Yeah those are much larger gains over the FA20 than were reported pre-release, it looks like the torque dip is bigger though?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
1/5/22 1:10 p.m.

Yes but even at the base of the dip its 25 to 30 lbs than the torque peak of the fa20.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/5/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Kind of the whole, rising tide raises all ships. That the torque peak happens way lower also helps, I'm assuming. I haven't got a chance to drive one yet. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/22 2:23 p.m.

I saw this on IG. I think the GR86 will turn out to be a keeper!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYU6viRhXi1/?utm_medium=copy_link

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/2/22 8:01 p.m.

Just got an email from the dealership.  Car has been produced and is in route to the dealership, ETA is the 15th!

Needless to say I am super excited laugh

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
5/2/22 8:05 p.m.

NICE! Ordering a new car really feels like "I'll believe it when I can see it." 

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/2/22 9:03 p.m.

Congrats!  I bet you will love it!!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/22 9:04 p.m.

Oh you still haven't gotten it yet? Forgot you are still waiting. You'll love it. It's totally taken away any need for anything else. 

Interesting thing is how fast it is in good hands. I let a friend autox mine and he was right up there with a national champ in her type R. It just keeps surprising me. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/3/22 12:13 a.m.

Man, you guys have really gotten into my head. I really wanted a Cayman but with their prices lately I've been looking at these pretty seriously. I found a GR86 Premium MT in Trueno Blue today. If it were Neptune, bRed, Pavement, or even Halo I probably would have put a deposit on it already. Mine will be a daily driver and parked outside. I think Trueno is probably going to be the hardest color to keep looking good followed by black. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/3/22 12:50 a.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Funny, a friend of mine was considering a new BRZ and ended up with a cayman partially because they're actually available for purchase.

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/3/22 5:21 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Oh you still haven't gotten it yet? Forgot you are still waiting. You'll love it. It's totally taken away any need for anything else. 

Interesting thing is how fast it is in good hands. I let a friend autox mine and he was right up there with a national champ in her type R. It just keeps surprising me. 

I loaned mine to my daughter who has an frs. She put it this way...They made this version real. 
Mine has been on two long road trips, has been my daily and can kick into frisky mode instantly on the back roads. 
I'm taking it in for service next week before VIR. 
If anyone is at Hyperfest, I'm taking some coworkers out for laps in it when not in the Camaro. Happy to take forum members out as well. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/8/22 3:04 a.m.

Got the call this morning that the car was ready for pickup.

So far I have put 6 miles on it.  It is exactly what I was hoping for driving experience wise.  I can't wait for it to be broken in.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
5/8/22 6:15 a.m.

Nice. Looks great!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/8/22 6:16 a.m.

Talked to the Toyota engineers that were running a stock one of these on One Lap. They only had good things to say. You might expect that of Toyota engineers, but they were quick to point out that none of them had personally bought the first gen, and two of them had the second gen on order. This was the car that they wanted the first gen to be. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/8/22 3:01 p.m.

Looks great!  Congrats

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/22 3:37 p.m.

Drove a GR86 yesterday. Short test drive but did like the car.  There is a lot to figure out with the dash displays and drive settings, a careful read of the owners manual is certainly in order.

Feels small inside (because it is) would take some getting used to.

Good thing the car was an auto, that kept my wallet safely in my pocket and me out of debt...

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/22 5:59 p.m.

Nice looking car!  They are on my radar surprisingly.

Can ESC be turned fully off or do you still have to do a pedal dance?

jh36
jh36 Dork
5/17/22 6:33 a.m.

I put the GR86 on track at vir. It is incredible. It feels like my 944 race car but with way more power and torque. 
If I had adjustable sways I would tighten the rear slightly for rotation. If I did that, had competition tires and changed the pads and fluid, I'd race it right out of the box. 
I didn't get my lap times but I did see 125 at the end of the straight where I used to see 119 on the Porsche. With better launch from Oak Tree from all the above I reckon I would pick up about 3 mph there. I'm going to say it is at least a a 2:10 car at vir. Maybe 2:05 even. She is a joy in the esses and particularly awesome on the roller coaster/hogpen. 
If I had deeper pockets I would look for a car to cage and race. I would be very happy there. 

edit: if anyone is going to track hard, I suggest going ahead and changing pads and fluid. I did get a fair amount of fade by the end of the session 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eO5vFWI361KvKZLUlbwzL323Je5PmoBsfWrXv6LSkffZzWM0hCFWRgCIVFZ7CR8w