1 2 3 4
hefftone
hefftone
5/17/09 9:47 p.m.

Big single Turbo, Blow through 4 barrell carb, Lots of weight reduction, wide sticky tires, the suspension and the transmission, are gonna be the trickiest. Brakes may be a problem too I guess.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 9:50 p.m.

Who needs brakes, all they do is slow you down . . .

hefftone
hefftone New Reader
5/17/09 9:53 p.m.

Cars that can't turn!

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
5/17/09 10:04 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: Damn you people NOW I want a VIPER....arghhhhh

I want one too. I think I would buy one, but I fear that everybody (friends included) would think I'm a douche bag, or that I'm compensating for something, or that I'm trying to show them up when the truth is; I just think they're cool cars. RT-10 FTW.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/17/09 10:28 p.m.

Who are these people who have $30k to throw around and what are they doing here???

Regardless--an uber Diplomat would be pretty sick.

Mopar crate engine, custom fabbed suspension, a ton of chassis bracing, mini tubs and 315's out back, Nascar-style aero--oh, it could really be ill.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 11:14 p.m.
hefftone wrote: Cars that can't turn!

LOL, I was being facetious . . .

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
5/17/09 11:27 p.m.

wow, good luck!

Get some lipstick for that pig.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
5/18/09 2:23 a.m.

Slightly doable if the rules are run GRM Challenge style. If the 30K must be spent at real shops(and labor rates) and for new parts-no way in hell that Dodge will be worth a damn at Road Atlanta at that budget. Proper suspension, brakes, engine, trans(auto no less), wheels/tires, steering,cooling,fuel system,seats/harness,diff, chassis work for starters-plus all the other "nickel and dime" BS like fittings, wiring,hoses, brake hoses,mounts,fasteners, etc-all add up quick.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/18/09 5:50 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: Slightly doable if the rules are run GRM Challenge style. If the 30K must be spent at real shops(and labor rates) and for new parts-no way in hell that Dodge will be worth a damn at Road Atlanta at that budget. Proper suspension, brakes, engine, trans(auto no less), wheels/tires, steering,cooling,fuel system,seats/harness,diff, chassis work for starters-plus all the other "nickel and dime" BS like fittings, wiring,hoses, brake hoses,mounts,fasteners, etc-all add up quick.

Thanks man, seriously. I honestly think if more people like you tell this guy how bad of an idea this is that it may get to him . . .probably not, but it's worth a shot. I've been trying for almost closing quickly on 2 years now and my teammate has been trying for more than 4. I think the strength in numbers thing may help, LOL!

To be honest, at first, I kinda wanted to see if an M-body had what it took to do what he's claiming, the more I read about them and the more I speak to the owners of them, the less faith I have that anything can become of a car like this. For 30k, he can buy a C5 Corvette and mop the floor with a Mustang . . .he can buy an E39 M5/E36 M3/E46 M3/E30 M3 for under 30k and mop the floor with a Mustang.

But no, he really wants to do this, as he does many other things, the retarded way. Whatever . . . I'm running on no sleep at this point so if I seem a bit harsh, it's just the truth, LOL!

RossD
RossD Reader
5/18/09 10:25 a.m.

hell you can get a '99 or '00 Porsche 911 C4 and a six speed for well under $30k if you dont mind a >100k miles.

Prepare to drool.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/18/09 10:54 a.m.
hefftone wrote: Brakes may be a problem too I guess.

The front rotors are not too hard to upgrade somewhat; the larger rotors from a '76-up B or R body will bolt on using the calipers and brackets from a donor car. You could fab up a set of brackets to put Wilwood calipers on the big rotors, to further upgrade it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
5/18/09 12:20 p.m.

HEMI?

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/18/09 12:30 p.m.

oooo, i wanna play! I want a 2002 Buick Regal so I can flare out the fenders, single locking lugs, big carbon wing, ls1 swapped making it rear wheel drive. My Regal GTR...

pres589
pres589 New Reader
5/18/09 12:31 p.m.

Biggest problem is probably that front suspension. I wonder if there's any shops that can brew up a custom set of torsion bars for that front, may have to try a few sets to figure out what this thing really wants to track a corner. The rear, with the right pieces installed, shouldn't be too hard to deal with in comparison. Anti-roll bars are probably going to take some trial and error as well.

Something I never liked in the few M-body cars I've driven (and this was just short distances, moving them in and out of a shop for instance) was the extremely over boosted steering and slow steering ratio. I assume there's a fast ratio box out there, and then maybe a larger pump pulley can help with the rest of that issue.

Aero is going to need help too, but that front end would concern me more. Power is going to be easy to get; I remember Hot Rod building up a 318 with some Magnum truck parts and about $2k to get 400hp using a carb. Mating that to a four speed automatic with a full manual valve body might make sense.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
5/18/09 12:53 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Black Stig: what's your project? Please share!

i suggest:

1. http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1168613786.html
  2. $6,000 worth of rear tires
  3. ???
  4. profit!
Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/18/09 1:53 p.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
i suggest: 1. http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1168613786.html 2. $6,000 worth of rear tires 3. ??? 4. profit!

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love the way you think! But, I'm a man of my word, if he's willing to bring that M Body out to Road Atlanta, I'll put my Bullitt up against it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/18/09 2:25 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Biggest problem is probably that front suspension. I wonder if there's any shops that can brew up a custom set of torsion bars for that front, may have to try a few sets to figure out what this thing really wants to track a corner. The rear, with the right pieces installed, shouldn't be too hard to deal with in comparison. Anti-roll bars are probably going to take some trial and error as well.

I wouldn't keep the transverse torsion bars; not only are they tough to find, but the way the bar doubles as a strut rod creates suspension geometry and bump steer issues. I'd try making new LCAs and converting to coil overs.

Something I never liked in the few M-body cars I've driven (and this was just short distances, moving them in and out of a shop for instance) was the extremely over boosted steering and slow steering ratio. I assume there's a fast ratio box out there, and then maybe a larger pump pulley can help with the rest of that issue.

The cop car steering boxes are a bit better, but there's a company called Firm Feel that makes upgraded boxes with different steering ratios and more reasonable boost levels.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/09 2:51 p.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
i suggest: 1. http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1168613786.html 2. $6,000 worth of rear tires 3. ??? 4. profit!

Good gosh...that deal seems so good I wonder if it's a scam. Otherwise, that is an incredible deal.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington New Reader
5/18/09 3:46 p.m.

yeah, i kind of wish i hadn't seen it.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/18/09 4:16 p.m.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, if my car winds up "stolen" and "totaled" . . .I can justify the purchase . . .

.>_>

<_<

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
5/18/09 7:41 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
wherethefmi wrote: Damn you people NOW I want a VIPER....arghhhhh
I want one too. I think I would buy one, but I fear that everybody (friends included) would think I'm a douche bag, or that I'm compensating for something, or that I'm trying to show them up when the truth is; I just think they're cool cars. RT-10 FTW.

F them-buy what you like.

Lightning
Lightning New Reader
5/20/09 5:29 a.m.

alrighty, the plan:

Front suspension:

-Magnumforce drop 2" drop spindles- $425 Magnumforce also makes a part so I'll be able to switch to universal-type Coilovers....like the QA1's you see in the Summit Catalogs (Or maybe the AFCO M-2 coilovers, If I can budget it in time)

-new swaybar -mount a new strut rod since the torsion bars are gonna get tossed.

-new steering box or switch to a Rack (I dunno yet)

Engine: Here it's a toss-up

a 383/400 with aluminum heads, intake, & water pump weighs less than a iron-headed small block.

or a turbo 318/360.

trans: probably the 4-speed.

rear end: for now I'm gonna be hitting the junkyard for an Explorer 8.8" rear, I can snag it's disk brakes too.

rear suspension: I 'might' keep it leaf springs, but I doubt it. I'll probably go 3- or 4-link.

aero: as much as I don't like NASCAR's COT, it does provide inspiration. Australia's V8Supercars series does too.

weight loss....here's where it gets fun, free stuff will be listed first:

bumper shocks -75# for all 4 corners

bumpers -50# each bumper if I gut it -55# if I just toss the whole stock bumper assembly.

hood- the supports will be gutted

trunklid- ditto

doors- the side beams are gonna be history, same for the rear window assembly, I'll probably rivet in lexan instead.

interior - (If Stig's car is any indication) I can probably see at least 175# in losing the stock interior, but I'm keeping the stock dash.

Headlights: since there's a kit out to convert to the H4 bulbs and housings, I'll toss the inboard high beams since the outer lights will be able to do both low & high beam.

I'll be looking for aftermarket (other chassis) ideas for new bumpers. Maybe even fiberglass bumpers off of a '73 Duster, they look really close.

anyways, that's the plan, Flame it if ya want.

Lightning
Lightning New Reader
5/20/09 5:30 a.m.
Black Stig wrote:
How now brown cow . . .I've made promises to a local company that I won't divulge anything until the time comes for me to drive it. It's gonna suck but I ca do it. And if you're wondering why I'm telling THIS much . . .it's because I love watching grown men sweat in anticipation, LMAO! Lets just say that the new stuff will not only make my hobby easier, it'll also make life a little easier, LOL!

I'm being up front, why not you??

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/20/09 9:59 a.m.

Oh GOD!

Please Moderators, Administrators, SOME ONE!

Please make this thread go away!

This is NOT going to happen, the user will NOT have a car with all of that stuff done to it by the end of next year . . .in fact, he probably won't have any of that stuff by the end of 2012.

This is just a farce and a ridiculous thread to say that he's going to be able to make this car out handle, not only a more performance oriented car but a driver with much more experience in motorsports than he.

If we're not going to close this thread, I propose that we make this an ongoing article in the GRM Magazine, at least that way we can get more views from people and he can see how bad of an idea this really is.

-Dave

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/20/09 10:01 a.m.
Lightning wrote:
Black Stig wrote:
How now brown cow . . .I've made promises to a local company that I won't divulge anything until the time comes for me to drive it. It's gonna suck but I ca do it. And if you're wondering why I'm telling THIS much . . .it's because I love watching grown men sweat in anticipation, LMAO! Lets just say that the new stuff will not only make my hobby easier, it'll also make life a little easier, LOL!
I'm being up front, why not you??

Because the people who are doing the sponsoring are asking to be pretty tight lipped. I can allude but I can't come right out and say what's happening.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
elTMeRbNgxTA72eQnQqTAHDRXZoFgsu8j9vNX3DWK7SDqSsulskG1RUiEdcXVVtf