hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/3/23 2:26 p.m.

Volvos, Saabs, VW's, vintage American iron, and more. Looks like a fun way to spend a day.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/23 4:49 p.m.

Whoever was driving that red Vette was getting it.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/3/23 6:51 p.m.

First time I have seen a Vauxhall Victor or a 6cylinder Ford Taunus (26M?) used in competition.  Volvo 164 looked quick.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/3/23 7:14 p.m.

What are the chances; I was just watching this at lunch yesterday.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/23 7:24 p.m.

That's really cool - I'm amazed at all the old American cars over there!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
8/3/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Sweden's American car culture runs very deep. Before WW2 the then quite small Swedish market was dominated by American brands. Volvo total sales figures didn't reach 5 figures until post war either. All of the odd ball pre-war Americans are there too, Graham, Nash, Willys, plus Ford and Studebaker. Only the English had enough output to export common cars at the time, so very few mainland Euro cars until post war. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/23 9:42 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I had a friend who would ship a car to Sweden every year. Then he'd fly over, tour the country and sell the car (Usually Cadillacs) to pay for his vacation. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/3/23 9:44 p.m.

I wish that someone would start running hillclimbs in California. There are so many good options. Litigiousness may be the reason that it doesn't happen. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/3/23 11:29 p.m.

Back in the early eighties when I was racing horses in Pompano, there were a lot of Swedish trainers and grooms. The grooms would pool their money and buy an old luxobarge like a 70s Olds 98, etc. You would never see fewer than four people in the car.  

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/4/23 10:00 a.m.

That 96V4 at full song makes me want to put more aggressive exhaust on my 95, and holy hell that '55 Chevy sounded mean.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/23 10:59 a.m.

If my local classic car shows were like this I'd be a regular!

Wondering how my jag would've done....

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/4/23 4:29 p.m.

And another turn. Watch the late apex. Volvo drivers sending it. The red 122 sounds like it has a dog-cut box, the blue 144 makes nice blow-off noises, and the Corvette does not disappoint.

Starting line shenanigans. Traction is hard.

This video has some great street cruise footage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
86N0WLvSsK0RI8NbZ8OLwWCYafRzyqZWn9OWXxxNMo5IBpiuvKXMF2m4XGiu1uoB