1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/15/22 3:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Funny you mention headlight bulbs...  I just had to change the halogen ones on SWMBO's Prius yesterday.  I went for the blind route without pulling the headlights (quick visual assessment said the bumper might have to come off to pull the lights and I didn't want to be in the garage that long).  Only real challenge was getting the reaining clip un-done on the passenger side (it was pretty well stuck).  Getting them clipped back in wasn't too hard though. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/15/22 4:34 p.m.

This also a good place to make record...

Checked oil, down a little, between the two marks on the stick or down about 1/2 qt.  That is over 7k miles (now at 197k.)  The recommended interval is 5k changes but I use full syn and Toyota brand filter on a 10k interval.  That has worked what seems like fine for me over the years.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/22 1:46 p.m.
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/22 3:52 p.m.

The headlights were a nightmare.  I replaced my daughter's with LEDs.  I tried and tried to do it without removing the assembly, but finally gave in and did it.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
4/24/22 7:54 p.m.

How are the insurance companies valuing 2nd gen Prius right now?  My wife's 2008 was hit today by a model s driver taking an entrance too fast & hitting us head on.  Both airbags deployed, radiator punctured & car will no longer move so I am guessing a high voltage disconnect blew.  I am thinking the car is probably totaled, just trying to get an idea of how much we will get out of it to have to replace it in this market.  Worst thing is I put a new Toyota hv battery in it 4 months ago.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/22 8:13 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

How many miles on your 2008?

Where are you located?

Those will help determine value. But, it's a popular and common car. That should then mean it is easy for the insurance company to come up with a good valuation. 

Is there any existing damage to the car before the accident? 

The best thing to do is start "shopping" for the same car to figure up a value you'll be happy with. 

I'll guess:

$9,500 @ 100k

$7,500 @ 150k

$5,000 @ 200k

$4000 @ 250k

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
4/24/22 8:30 p.m.

Its around 180k in Raleigh NC.  I'm hoping to use the new battery to push for a higher value.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/22 8:52 p.m.

I poked around IAA.

State Farm says this Prius was worth $6783 before accident 2008 w/167k.  A loaded model with every option including leather.

USAA says this one was worth $5474 before accident 2008 w/207k

Progressive says this one was worth $7680 before accident 2008 w/173k.  A loaded model also

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
4/24/22 9:05 p.m.

I would rather repair it than try to replace it in this market, but I am not optimistic. Maybe I can pull the hv battery before they send it to scrap, or is that one of the things they look for?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/22 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

I would pull it if you have the time.  Head over to car-part.com and buy the cheapest JY model they have.  

If the HV battery is "just not there" they will likely never know because it is very hidden as long as you put the cargo area back together.  They'll just label the car as "does not start" and all the surprise will be on the auction winner.  They will also do nothing for the auction winner as in "buyer beware."   

Other Prius shopping to find market value:

2009 w/177k asking $6,000 

2007 w/ 192 asking $6,500

2008 w/199k asking $6,500

2007 w/158k asking $7,000

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
4/24/22 10:27 p.m.

It does not start now, I am guessing there is some pyrotechnic disconnect that blew with the airbags.  Any experience with that? Thanks for the links the more data the better.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/25/22 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

I've never had a Prius with a blown airbag so no experience there. I buy salvage Prius but always lightly hit stuff as in "airbags good."

I also realize that last night I was just giving data but I really should have started with, "sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear that all people in the car came out undamaged." 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/25/22 12:09 p.m.
Caperix said:

How are the insurance companies valuing 2nd gen Prius right now?  My wife's 2008 was hit today by a model s driver taking an entrance too fast & hitting us head on.  Both airbags deployed, radiator punctured & car will no longer move so I am guessing a high voltage disconnect blew.  I am thinking the car is probably totaled, just trying to get an idea of how much we will get out of it to have to replace it in this market.  Worst thing is I put a new Toyota hv battery in it 4 months ago.

If it is totalled, and you keep the battery (or keep the wrecked car, as in "retain salvage," for a fee), there's at least one person on this forum that would be interested in buying the battery.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
4/25/22 10:02 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Caperix :

I've never had a Prius with a blown airbag so no experience there. I buy salvage Prius but always lightly hit stuff as in "airbags good."

I also realize that last night I was just giving data but I really should have started with, "sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear that all people in the car came out undamaged." 

Your data on this thread has always been a good resource.

If we are able to keep the car I am hoping the battery & cat will bring in some extra money for the replacement.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
4/26/22 3:00 p.m.

Great thread-lots of useful info--thanks to all who post and John for being the standard bearer her on these cars..

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/26/22 3:24 p.m.
Billy_Bottle_Caps said:

Great thread-lots of useful info--thanks to all who post and John for being the standard bearer her on these cars..

Yes.  I own one now, because of John.  Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
5/7/22 7:41 a.m.

The car is finally back in my driveway, still going back and forth with the insurance but the plan is to retain the car.  I know the practically new high voltage battery has value as well as the cat, what else would be worth selling off separately?  I am not sure of the inverters condition as the front end was pushed back far enough to break it free of its mounts. This may be the reason the car no longer moves under its own power.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

Here is a listing to my Prius dismantler who puts up a nice price list.

Gen2 engines never go bad.  You can buy low mileage engines for $300...really.  There is just too much supply and not enough demand.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/22 9:06 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Caperix :

Here is a listing to my Prius dismantler who puts up a nice price list.

Gen2 engines never go bad.  You can buy low mileage engines for $300...really.  There is just too much supply and not enough demand.  

I did not need to know that.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/22 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Toledo Core Supply has more than 20 Prius engines to choose from on car-part.com as low as 111k miles.   Full service JY so the engine would already be pulled and waiting for you at the front counter.  The internet tells me that 1.5L weighs 268lbs filled with fluids.   There are some showing in Columbus for $250.  

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
5/18/22 7:32 p.m.

Still going back & forth with the insurance. It looks like it will cost me around $1400 to keep it with losing the tax & title fees they would give me to send it to auction.

So my question to the Prius owners of grm is what would you think a 4 month old 5000 mile 2nd gen genuine Toyota hybrid battery is worth?

We found a replacement prius, a 2006 with a 1 year old Toyota battery so I don't think its worth swapping into the new car.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/22 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

$1400 to keep the old Prius, but do you want it?  If your goal is just the battery sale, pull that new one and put in some $200 JY battery.  Or, try sending it out with no battery.  You say the car doesn't start anyway.    

I suspect you paid $3k+ for the new, real Toyota Battery but now it is a real, USED, Toyota battery.  Agreed, its better than the refurb'ed ones but refurb'ed will be your price competition so I bet that makes the retail of it sub $2k.  

So, recap...Retain old Prius costs you $1,400 and with some work and salesmanship you can recoupe $1500 for the battery.  You can recoupe even more if you are willing to do the work that parting a car requires and you have the place to store the hulk.  
Or, pull the HV battery before it leaves and you get $1400 more in your pocket immediately and $1,500 more when you sell the HV battery.  

Is it possible that this old Prius could go back on the road?  How much damage?  Can you post pictures of the damage? 

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
5/19/22 8:14 p.m.

The front end is in rough shape.  It would not be worth it to me to put it back on the road, but given Prius prices now someone may be willing.

I have the space to keep it when parting it out, I think the hardest part will be hauling what's left to scrap as I only have an s10 for towing.

I worry some about pulling the battery & them coming after me latter on.  I think north Carolina has some period of buy back after an auction.

Part of me would also feel better about helping someone keep their car running vs whatever the auction winner does with it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/22 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Caperix :

Right now, while you still have the car, put the HV battery up for sale on marketplace. One condition to the sale...I also need your bad HV battery in exchange. Send that broken white Prius away with a crappy HV battery installed. 

$1400 more in your pocket in insurance and $1500 from the battery sale. That's the easiest way to gain $2,900 more from this transaction. 

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
5/20/22 6:46 a.m.

Good thought, hopefully I will get a quick hit, may even be able to make a few extra hundred if I offer to install. Though I learned earlier this year driving a Prius with a failed battery can be a gamble

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZmjsFN8x9h3yIRgDODDf6KZNFVvTUwcKyxqQRvhDsjDOeWzMsynrbgKaXhN2DjnK