1 2 3
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
7/30/20 12:14 p.m.

I've got 3 cars, that's basically all I usually have due to lack of space to store any more.  I could fit one more inside the garage tho, cough, cough, M coupe, cough cough.  laugh

Porsche Cayenne diesel (wifes DD)

Golf R (my DD)

996 Turbo (my fun car)

I probably should've gotten another larger SUV to replace my old GX470 DD because I could then use it to carry big stuff, potentially tow a car etc.  End of the day I just didn't feel like driving around a big SUV everyday when it's mostly just me in the car.  If I had space I'd love to pick up an older pick up truck to use as a junk hauler, tow vehicle...

cbaclawski
cbaclawski Reader
7/30/20 2:37 p.m.

What if the answer is "It depends, and I'm honestly not really sure, but definitely more than 10"

Every time I see a car that has track potential, and costs less than a set of tires or brake pads, I have no choice.  I HAVE to buy it.  

My general process is to then spend more prepping it than a nicer, already prepped one would have cost, then tell myself that I can't sell it because it's worth way less than what I have in it, not counting my labor, and it has sentimental value because I put work into it.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
7/30/20 3:08 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

What if the answer is "It depends, and I'm honestly not really sure, but definitely more than 10"

Every time I see a car that has track potential, and costs less than a set of tires or brake pads, I have no choice.  I HAVE to buy it.  

My general process is to then spend more prepping it than a nicer, already prepped one would have cost, then tell myself that I can't sell it because it's worth way less than what I have in it, not counting my labor, and it has sentimental value because I put work into it.

That is definitely hoarding :).  

Signed,

6 registered and driven, two project cars and a parts car.  (Aka threading the needle, or not far behind, depending on how you look at it)

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/30/20 3:23 p.m.

Well I only own 3, but both of my car friends own over 10 and one of those friends brothers are both over 10. His dads probably over 25! 

cbaclawski
cbaclawski Reader
7/30/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Hey kettle!  It's me, Pot...

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/30/20 4:28 p.m.

And I was on here complaining about feeling like a hoarder with 3 cars....

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/30/20 6:01 p.m.

Are ya'll sitting down? I hope so because this is gonna push your limits!

Yup, 79 cars and trucks if you count those Ranchero looking things too.

I might classify myself as a hoarder with these exceptions.

1. I will sell anything. Offer enough money and I will hop off this property naked with a bag of cash...bag optional!

2. I do sell a lot of stuff. but stuff shows up for ridiculous deals! The last 2 I got were FREE and one went away, as a running, driving legal car with AC, after a trip to the Pick-N-Pull on 20 dollar day. 

3. My prices are not set and I have NEVER turned down a serious counter offer. A BBQ sandwich is a standard bribe that goes a long way!

4. I have given away so much stuff just to keep it from becoming junk I cannot keep track.

5. Many were bought as parts cars for projects, daily drivers and hard to find parts.

6. Many were literally saved from the crusher! 

24 Mustangs, 22 convertibles, 5 Crown vic police cars without counting scooters, karts, powerwheels etc.

I think I need to advertise better. After reading about the Festiva in the last GRM magazine I wondered if someone might want a 1.6 package deal with a 91 Miata, 91 Mercury Capri XR2 and a couple of Aspires, one which has a Capri turbo drivetrain and has been converted to a truck. 

Update: count is now 80. I forgot about the 2003 Mustang that was accidentally purchased via CoPart for a stupid low bid ($300). I have all the parts to fix it in my "inventory".

(mike drop)

Bruce

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 6:23 p.m.

Also on GRM:                Video: Is a Collection of All-White Porsches Cool or Silly?             

cheeky

I've come to the same realization as Tim. I'm a little more emotionally invested with my cars than he is, I suspect, but I do have to thin the herd because it's become too much work to simply keep them all heathly. I want to bring it down to "everything but the Westfalia and the truck can park inside". Which means I need to lose (gulp) five. I think.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
7/30/20 6:37 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Hey kettle!  It's me, Pot...

That's how I recognized it so easily ;)

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
11/3/20 12:52 p.m.

Ok, this thread made me feel much better about my situation. Thanks GRMers!

My current fleet is as follows:

1992 Miata with 53k miles I purchased from the original owner. Near perfect condition with OEM hardtop

2000 S2000 with 54k miles that was also purchased from original owner that's in amazing condition that's the weekend cruiser

2004 Tundra double cab for truck things.

Wife's car doesn't count against my tally.

This collection seems more than reasonable.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/20 2:25 p.m.

I've got a buddy who has somewhere north of 50 cars.  About once a year he gets a call from someone asking if he's ever going to do anything with the car or cars he's got stored on their property.  When my wife and I bought our first house she said that he's welcome to visit but whatever vehicle he brings has to go with him when he leaves. He has a problem.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 3:11 p.m.

One of those signs that you may have a car problem is:

You get that call from a friend saying something to the effect "remember that car". 

Ya I have received that call about cars that I own that I had completely forgotten about.  Cars that I had loaned / lent or otherwise had friends stash them for me and then call me months and even years later and remind me of them.  

Ya I may have a car problem.  LOL

LIZMAH464
LIZMAH464 New Reader
7/27/23 10:36 a.m.

Hello GRM team!

I am hoping you might be able to provide me direction, guidance, etc.  Significant other / very good friend has had too many run-ins with the town due to # of vehicles and truck parts he's had on his property.  Ultimately, it had something to do with costing us our relationship, and I care for this gentleman very much.  In spite of everything, he is a very, very good person.  Just wants to live how he wants to live, which of course, is in conflict with zoning restrictions.  He moved to another town, more rural, significantly reduced his fleet, but the town is still after him.  I am trying to pick your brains how you have found unusual ways of storing vehicles and vehicle parts.  My ex has a sizable barn that is already full.  Town says he cannot put any other structures on the property other than two car garage.  For the duration of time we had been together, you think I would have learned all the ins and outs by now, but I don't.  He has come under fire again, although the new property is really far, far more organized and cleaner than ever.  The town just has it out for him.  Could you also provide me with suggestions on how to sell parts quickly?  He doesn't want to see them scrapped, as some he has saved for, for years.  He loves history, and wanted to see the parts gone on to other use.  Refurbishing antique trucks takes time and money, and when some people are going paycheck to paycheck, flipping antique trucks is a luxury many cannot afford.

I appreciate all of your responses, even the negative ones!

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/27/23 11:16 a.m.

Although this is a canoe I will answer because it's close to me.

In reply to LIZMAH464 :

Your significant other / friend is a hoarder..........period.  This is one of the most significant Pyschological conditions to address. Nothing you or we say or do is going to make a dent. He needs professional help. I cannot state that strongly enough.

Once you sell the parts and  sell some of the vehicles it will only be temporary. He will start to feel a sense of loss and even anger  and the process will start all over, again he needs professional help.

With all of that said; for selling the parts and vehicles I would check with various social media sites for said vehicles. Club people are always friendly and willing to help.

LIZMAH464
LIZMAH464 New Reader
7/27/23 11:29 a.m.

Hey Tom,

I know he is.  

Thank you - I really appreciate your response.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/27/23 11:35 a.m.

currently I'm at 4, but I'm selling the 987 Cayman soon. I think 3-4 is my limit, a tow vehicle, a daily, and a race car or two.

currently that's an f150, a cayman, a europa, and an Formula 600

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/27/23 11:48 a.m.

Just 7

09 Solstice GXP coupe

07 BMW Z4M coupe

71 Jensen Interceptor

62 MGA Deluxe coupe

58 MGA Twin Cam race car

57 MGA based Jamaican bodied (GM engined)

Wife's Mazda 3 Sport

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/27/23 11:53 a.m.

Just 8

3 Black, 2 Silver, White, Blue, Green

If we are only counting Porsche Boxsters.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/27/23 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

There is no line. If it tickles your pickle, then keep on going.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/23 5:58 p.m.

We've got 5, with a high-water mark at 7 and if plans go well a low-water mark of 1 or even 0.

My only recurring dream is about finding cars that I've forgotten I owned. I've woken up COMPLETELY SURE that there's a list of stuff I need to do to that Lotus so I can sell it. 

I've never even driven a Lotus.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/27/23 6:15 p.m.
LIZMAH464 said:

Hey Tom,

I know he is.  

Thank you - I really appreciate your response.

I figured as much but unless he get's help this will be an unending dilema.

Even with help he will struggle wth it everyday.............it's tough.

Get on social media and if he's willing you'll be able to get it to a point that the town will be satisfied.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/23 9:41 p.m.

Thank you to all of you who have posted here and make me feel restrained.  Normal, even.

... I have 6 vehicles currently.  5 run, 4 are road worthy.  I was at 11/1 once.. no more of that!

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
7/27/23 10:03 p.m.

14ish Thanks.

I'm just glad you didn't ask about my gun collection.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
7/27/23 11:41 p.m.

I'm not even halfway to egnorant's number, so guess I'm not a hoarder yet? Most of mine run and drive, but a couple of the running and driving cars are not ones I would feel comfortable with driving to work due to unresolved issues that I haven't had time to address yet.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/28/23 7:16 a.m.

If you are paying rent to store them off-site, you probably have too many.

I've allowed my available garage/storage space to dictate the number of vehicles I have. Three garage bays and enough other storage for 4 motorcycles (so far). The daily drivers park outside; they are expendable type vehicles anyway.

I used to keep one car at a storage building a mile away. $90/mo and even that short distance made it 'too much hassle' to use regularly. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
feX5Ru4PJIpKd7awRUV0DW190go3w1143OpVd37eN1lT5x0sHSBsA9jhjXlhsU1v