1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/28/23 10:54 a.m.

Currently we have 6 cars, 2 motorcycles and 5 bicycles and all of them are running / functional.

Keeping multiples of stuff because one "might" use it, is pretty much a telltale sign that your on your way to be a hoarder. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/23 3:42 p.m.

I know I missed this thread initially but I think (just like the limit of tire adhesion) into order to truly find the line between collecting and hoarding cars - you first have to cross it. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/28/23 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'd disagree with that; we all now you don't need more than one extra of a particular part, we all now what parts are truly wear items and we all know the things that are impulse buys.  

"Oh, a dome light lens, I might need one of those in 15 years and it's only $17"

j_tso
j_tso Dork
7/28/23 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Similarly, you can also use other people as a warning sign.

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
7/28/23 5:18 p.m.
ddavidv said:

If you are paying rent to store them off-site, you probably have too many.

I've allowed my available garage/storage space to dictate the number of vehicles I have. Three garage bays and enough other storage for 4 motorcycles (so far). The daily drivers park outside; they are expendable type vehicles anyway.

I used to keep one car at a storage building a mile away. $90/mo and even that short distance made it 'too much hassle' to use regularly. 

Are you saying that the offer I just put in on a warehouse makes me a hoarder?

To be fair, I won't be paying rent on it, and plan to sublet a large portion of the space at a margin that will cover the note and put money in my pocket every month.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/28/23 10:25 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

There are 6 cars, 2 motorcycles and a Kart at my house and they all run. 3 of the 6 are daily drivers.

My thought is it's very easy for the cars to own you.

If I actually had more space I might have kept the Datsun 1200 project/parts cars; instead I took everything I needed and passed them on.  These things have a bad habit of morphing into "I have 75% of the parts needed to get it running" and we all know that last 25% is the killer. The lack of space to do this is very self policing.

It also helps that I have a friend who hoards motorcycles as an example of what not to do.

To me the ideal is a daily driver, a race car/track car, a tow car and maybe a Friday fun car/classic car. After that it becomes a full time job keeping them going.

My .02

Excellent.  I'm in a precarious position.  I have one restoration project ( 1972 Jaguar XJ12 ) paint job and engine swap   One engine refresh and detail. 1953 MGTD  plus I've got one race car I'm currently  building while wanting to build an entirely Different race car.  
   Oh we have a pickup for my daily driver and my wife's Honda to be soon replaced with a Tesla.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/23 3:46 p.m.

Been at 7 for a while. Would like to lose 1 or 2. I need to put my Westfalia up for sale and then choices will be tough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t3fP8Bw39pzMZQg0ZZI6pblJbezzlWtJqsygslCvkVUpPxSzo7aJYI3kcKgPycTG