1 2 3
mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
9/11/09 1:40 a.m.

Any one else watching this movie right now? Just curious to see if anyone else gets a perma-smile when they watch it.

Jay
Jay Dork
9/11/09 3:04 a.m.

I saw it for the first time a few months ago. It was then I realized I've been missing out for years! I agree, great film. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/11/09 3:46 a.m.

We used to have a Friday night showing at a cinema in Melbourne for years, everybody would dress up as characters and people would be on stage in front of the screen acting out the parts, it was a blast, they even had a blues mobile out front

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
9/11/09 6:59 a.m.

I still lover the original way more than the 2000 one. Blues Brothers is a great timeless classic.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/11/09 8:13 a.m.

It is one of those movies (original one only) that I will stop at and watch 5 minutes of.

I bought the soundtrack once and would drive around jamming to all the great songs.

slefain
slefain Dork
9/11/09 8:16 a.m.

It took me a while to noticed that when the nun closes the door at the top of the stairs, she never touches the doors themselves, they just close.

Jake: [to Sister Mary Stigmata] Five grand? No problem, we'll have it for you in the morning. Let's go, Elwood.

Sister Mary Stigmata: No, no! I will not take your filthy stolen money!

Jake: Well then... I guess you're really up E36 M3 Creek.

[Sister Mary Stigmata hits Jake Blues with a ruler for using that kind of language]

Sister Mary Stigmata: I beg your pardon, what did you say?

Jake: I offered to help you... You refused to take our money. Then I said: I guess you're really up E36 M3 Creek.

[Sister Mary Stigmata hits Jake Blues with the ruler again]

Elwood: Christ, Jake. Take it easy man.

[Sister Mary Stigmata hits Elwood Blues]

Jake: Oh E36 M3!

[Sister Mary Stigmata hits Jake Blues]

Elwood: Jesus Christ!

[Sister Mary Stigmata hits Elwood Blues]

Jake: E36 M3!

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
9/11/09 8:32 a.m.

I often have moments like when Elwood looks in to the joint that Mr. Fabulous works at and everyone stops and stares at him...

Notice how many watches are broken. Also the prison guy who gives Jake his belongings back is Frank Oz. Later when they are driving in the mall the guy in the store wants to buy a Miss Piggy doll. I always wondered if they did that on purpose. I'm sure they did.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/11/09 8:34 a.m.

it was a (relatively)low budget film, they might have done it to save money

cwh
cwh Dork
9/11/09 8:47 a.m.

I know the mall they destroyed was scheduled for demo, but they sure did make it look real. One of my all time favorite flicks.

Jay
Jay Dork
9/11/09 8:49 a.m.
blaze86vic wrote: I still lover the original way more than the 2000 one. Blues Brothers is a great timeless classic.

There was a remake? Who in their right mind thought it needed a remake?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/09 8:59 a.m.

I can't count how many times playing in bands when we quoted "We play both kinds of music...."

A friend's band is playing this biker bar near the airport. When he told me the bar I said "Remember that scene in The Blues Brothers where they play on a stage behind chicken wire?"

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/11/09 9:00 a.m.
Jay wrote:
blaze86vic wrote: I still lover the original way more than the 2000 one. Blues Brothers is a great timeless classic.

Not a remake, a sequel. And it sucked. Big time.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/09 9:14 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Not a remake, a sequel. And it sucked. Big time.

It really did. Especially for you P71 fans. They killed LOTS of those cars in that movie. They tried to recapture the magic, but it just wasn't possible. I think it would have been difficult even if John Belushi had still been alive. The original was just a moment in time.

I, too, had the soundtrack (on cassette) and pretty much wore that tape out. I recorded the movie off TV (before you could affordably buy VHS movies) and watched it over and over.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/11/09 9:18 a.m.

a while back i saw a guy dressed up like elwood, driving an older crown vic painted like an old cop car and with a fake speaker strapped to the roof. i know the bluesmobile wasn't a ford, but it was still pretty cool

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/09 9:21 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
Jay wrote:
Not a remake, a sequel. And it sucked. Big time.

One of my buddies monster trucks was featured in it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
9/11/09 9:30 a.m.

(bystander) "Are you the police?"

(Elwood) "No ma'm, we're musicians"

(Jake) "You traded the Cadillac for a MICROPHONE?"

(Elwood) "Yup"

(Jake) "Ok, I can see that"

alex
alex HalfDork
9/11/09 10:10 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: A friend's band is playing this biker bar near the airport. When he told me the bar I said "Remember that scene in The Blues Brothers where they play on a stage behind chicken wire?"

It is one of my lifelong dreams to play behind chicken wire. It's getting to the point that I'm afraid I'll have to open my own bar to do it.

My last copy of the movie was on VHS, and my cheapass VCR ate it. About a week later, Dan Akroyd was in town to promote his wine label or something, doing a meet 'n' greet at a local high-end liquor store. I thought about bringing him the VCR to see if he could get the tape out.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/11/09 10:23 a.m.

That was one of the first R movies we sat our kids down in front of and actually said, "Watch this. It's good for you," along with "Sixteen Candles" the first couple of "Vacation" movies, "Trading Places" and "Blazing Saddles." (I want them to be well-rounded.) And who hasn't told someone, "We're on an mission from Gaad."?

Margie

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/11/09 10:28 a.m.

or

"What in the wide wide wide world of sports is goin' on around here?!?!"

"Hey, were all da white women at?"

(that's Blazing Saddles BTW)

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/09 10:34 a.m.

My brother and I a few Halloweens back...

I grew up in Chicago, and that movie is simply home for me. Hands down my favorite movie.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/11/09 10:37 a.m.

At the time, I think the original held the record for the most cars crashed in one movie, Somthing like 100. That's a lot of cars!

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
9/11/09 10:53 a.m.

And they actually did drive over 100 miles an hour on Lower Wacker Drive.

"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

"Fix the cigarette lighter."

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/09 11:09 a.m.

I once met a Chicago cop because I was pulled over on the shoulder of the interstate, getting my picture taken in front of a sign that said "Chicago 106". At night, wearing sunglasses. Of course. He seemed more surprised than he should have, in my opinion.

"No ma'am, we're musicians". If I had a dollar for every time I've said that...

alex
alex HalfDork
9/11/09 11:12 a.m.
Keith wrote: He seemed more surprised than he should have, in my opinion.

Seriously. Shouldn't that film be part of training for new CPD recruits?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/11/09 11:20 a.m.

Best. Movie. EVAR

Probably the best soundtrack ever, too. I have it on 3 mediums! Vinyl, Cassette, CD, and then recorded from Vinyl to Cassette, and on my ipod

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Anyhd0SJNZVY9cs23rpI17MKRs39DzyrdiHQ9D6VBYhdWpNtGp0walLxfekpx1Dr