1 2 3
EricM
EricM HalfDork
9/11/09 11:49 a.m.

We're on a mission from God

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
9/11/09 11:58 a.m.

"Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children."

monark192
monark192 New Reader
9/11/09 12:06 p.m.
Keith wrote: I once met a Chicago cop because I was pulled over on the shoulder of the interstate, getting my picture taken in front of a sign that said "Chicago 106". At night, wearing sunglasses. Of course. He seemed more surprised than he should have, in my opinion.

It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. - Hit it.

It's an "11" on the 1-10 scale of memorable movie moments.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/11/09 12:32 p.m.
monark192 wrote: It's an "11" on the 1-10 scale of memorable movie moments.

Amps that go to 11 is the "11" on the memorable movie moments.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
9/11/09 1:15 p.m.
mtn wrote: Best. Movie. EVAR Probably the best soundtrack ever, too. I have it on 3 mediums! Vinyl, Cassette, CD, and then recorded from Vinyl to Cassette, and on my ipod

Here's one for ya..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yCPWdIz84

I was the only person my age interested in blues/roots/R&B around when that movie came out, and the only person who knew the lyrics when we went to see it. Afterwards, I just about burned up my cassette deck making copies of my records for people. That film exposed a lot of people to real music..

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/11/09 2:02 p.m.
monark192 wrote: It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. - Hit it.

One of my favorite movie lines ever!

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
9/11/09 6:17 p.m.

My first introduction to Cab Calloway was this gem when I was a wee kid back in the 80's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnDnIK2v1g

friedgreencorrado
9/11/09 6:35 p.m.

Priceless, hotrod! I'd never seen that one!

friedgreencorrado
9/11/09 6:36 p.m.
captain_napalm wrote: "Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children."

"..if you won't come back to the band, we will have breakfast, lunch and dinner here until you do."

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/11/09 6:39 p.m.

More Cab Calloway on the same Muppets with Jumpin' Jive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kioZ-wTPC9I&feature=related

If you like this type of music, I highly recommend the some what obscure record, Jumpin' Jive by Joe Jackson. In 1981 he (and band) put out a great cover album of "The Greats"
Follow this link and at the bottom of the page you can sample the whole album.
http://www.amazon.com/Jumpin-Jive-Joe-Jackson/dp/B00000HY5I

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/11/09 6:52 p.m.
aircooled wrote: or "What in the wide wide wide world of sports is goin' on around here?!?!" "Hey, were all da white women at?" (that's Blazing Saddles BTW)

still the funniest movie I've ever seen

wbjones
wbjones Reader
9/11/09 6:54 p.m.
mtn wrote: Best. Movie. EVAR Probably the best soundtrack ever, too. I have it on 3 mediums! Vinyl, Cassette, CD, and then recorded from Vinyl to Cassette, and on my ipod

American Graffiti for soundtrack...

rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
9/11/09 7:06 p.m.

First movie I bought on DVD, followed closely by Blazing Saddles.

Two years ago at the Infor conference in Vegas I saw the Blues Brothers in concert. Dan and Jim in 2007 were not nearly as good as Dan and John in 1979. The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite movies but that concert left me unmoved.

Free beer and the Blues Brothers, sounds like heaven, right? I was just "meh."

btp76
btp76 Reader
9/11/09 7:47 p.m.

I remember reading a review when 2000 came out that made the comparison "...unlike the 1980 original, made when John Belushi was alive and Dan Akroyd was funny."

I've seen the original more times than I can count.

I saw it once in a small, old, theater that served food and drinks. When the waitress came by my friend ordered "Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips."

Hocrest
Hocrest New Reader
9/11/09 8:26 p.m.
slefain wrote: It took me a while to noticed that when the nun closes the door at the top of the stairs, she never touches the doors themselves, they just close.

Also, she doesn't walk back out of the doorway before it closes, she sort of glides/floats back out...

"E36 M3, rollers"... "I bet these cops have SCMODS"

"it's glue... Sticky stuff"

"Hey you sleaze, that's my bed"

Once a buddy of mine decided to sing the elevator music thats playing for them in Daley plaza, when we stepped into an elevator, I nearly soiled myself laughing...

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
9/11/09 8:51 p.m.

" This is car 5-5...we're in a truck."

priceless..lol

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/09 11:10 p.m.

I'm watching it now....

One unused prophylactic.

One used....

LOL

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
9/12/09 12:12 a.m.

Every one knows the obvious, great lines, but my favorite one starts as they pull up the St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud orphanage.

Jake "What the Hell are we doing here?"

Elwood "You said the day you got out, we would go, and visit the penguin."

Jake "Yeah...so I lied."

Elwood (laughing) "You can't lie to a nun Jake. We gotta go in and visit the Penguin."

Jake "No-Berklying-Way"

Next scene: they're in the orphanage going to see the Penguin.

In the Chicago land area, it's required viewing.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/09 1:40 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: That was one of the first R movies we sat our kids down in front of and actually said, "Watch this. It's good for you," along with "Sixteen Candles" the first couple of "Vacation" movies, "Trading Places" and "Blazing Saddles." (I want them to be well-rounded.) And who hasn't told someone, "We're on an mission from Gaad."? Margie

A sign of good parenting if ever I saw it. When I was about eight we got cable. My grandmother came over to babysit one night and Blazing Saddles came on. She kept me up to watch it and we laughed like idiots the entire time.

I have made a hobby of ruining movies and tv shows my wife watches by picking out a point in the plot that makes it impossible to be real. Once i do that she has to stop watching. The first time we saw the Blues Brothers she thought she had one, Catholic Orphanages generally don't pay property taxes. She was disapionted that I could say "So" and just keep laughing.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/12/09 5:40 a.m.

I feel like I was destined to love this movie. I first saw it when I was in the womb and have been a huge fan ever since.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/12/09 7:11 a.m.

"I'd like four fried chickens, and a coke."

"And some dry white toast please."

My wife actually quotes these lines when we go out to eat sometimes. I've taught her well.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
9/12/09 7:43 a.m.

"They broke my watch"

rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
9/12/09 11:44 a.m.

"The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year."

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
9/12/09 12:04 p.m.

This is the greatest movie of all time. I agree with the comment about it being a moment in time. You can't recreate the feel of the original. I refuse to acknowledge the 2000 travesty.

In high school I kept a VHS copy of Blues Brothers in the trunk of my car. It got played at almost every party we went to. Wore that tape out. I think I'll put the DVD on tonight.

I played trombone in school. This move was the proof we needed that not all brass instruments had to be stuck playing marches and movie themes we didn't care about.

The Blues Brothers released more than just the soundtrack. They did tour and release a couple albums too. Other than "Jake and Elwood" the band was comprised of genuine blues musicians.

One of my high school buddies did some work in Chicago one summer back in the '90's. In his down time he went hunting for every road he could find from the movie and would call me with an update.

Some quotes not listed yet:

"Isn't that where they have that Picasso?"

"Do you have this in a Miss Piggy?"

"I hate Illinois Nazi's."

"Our Mother of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."

Jake: "What was that?" Elwood: "We blew a rod." Jake: "Is that bad?" Elwood: "Yep"

Elwood puts the wipers on to wipe the oil spray off the windshield but Jake's wiper doesn't work so he leans out the car still traveling at 100 MPH or so to wipe off his side.

I love this movie.

-Rob

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/12/09 12:08 p.m.

"man, this mall's got everything!"

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
KWMKhURp0EMFo1SuCevfFN19R2JOyHytj9AuYedLpJJ9nots6M6wxALMsIzaRbqq