1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 ... 378
NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/30/24 10:15 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh, and I saw the CSX Conrail heritage unit pass by the house today. Didn't have time to get my phone out & snap pic sadly. 

I haven't seen any of the CSX ones yet, although I know the Chessie one passed through Rome last year and I missed it because I didn't learn about it until after the fact. I have seen four of the NS ones though: Virginian, DL&W, Pennsylvania, and original Norfolk Southern. The DL&W one was kind of a brag, because that one went out of service shortly afterwards, and only recently has it started being repaired at Altoona. I also caught the Pennsy one climbing Horseshoe Curve, although sadly not leading.

CSX has also unveiled their next heritage unti: CSX #1899, Pere Marquette.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/30/24 11:52 a.m.

ATSF #2926 is slated to make another half-mile move to Tractor Brewing Co. in Albuquerque this Sunday. It made this move last year on May 6th and then again on August 26th for fundraising events, and, in addition to a 2.5 mile jaunt down to the Albuquerque Rail Yards on September 30th last year, this so far constitutes all the action the big Northern has seen since being moved under it's own power on July 24, 2021. From what I understand, the big holdup is PTC installation. The plan is to run it over NMDOT-owned rails, and during restoration it was fitted with LeaPTC in anticipation. LeaPTC basically adds a sensor to the front of the locomotive and actuators to apply the brakes in the event of overspeed or overrunning a signal, and then piggybacks everything off of the computers onboard a trailing PTC-equipped diesel. The problem is, that the group doesn't own a PTC-equipped diesel of their own and had hoped to borrow PTC-equipped Amtrak diesels to pair with the #2926, but Amtrak doesn't have the equipment to spare. So, now the hope is to fundraise to make it fully PTC-equipped, like CPR #2816 or UP #4014. Sistern engine ATSF #3751 is also undergoing the installation of full PTC in hopes of it getting out and running, and the plan is for a sharing of knowledge between the groups who own ATSF #3751 and ATSF #2926. The only thing that worries me here is that ATSF #2926 was first steamed up in 2018. That 15 year timer on your boiler certification starts counting as soon as it sees a fire-up, or one year from installation of the flues. That means that it's already chewed up 6 years of it's boiler ticket, minimum. No clue when the flues were installed but if it was before 2017, it actually has used even more time up.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/30/24 11:59 a.m.

As a side note, I can actually think of two steam locomotives off the top of my head that had the flues installed and then the rest of the restoration has taken so long that they will need the unused flues removed and replaced again before they enter operation. Moral; don't install the flues until absolutely everything else is done and you're certain it's ready to run and you have somewhere to run. Used to be you could get a flue extension from the FRA, where an inspector would come down, you'd pull several flues chosen at random by the inspector, and they'd check them for corrosion, erosion, and scale buildup, and if they were happy with them, they'd give you a one-year extension. I remember someone saying that Cumbres & Toltec had such good quality water, they had engines running in the '90s that had had flues installed by D&RGW (pre-1968) and had just had multiple extensions granted. The Gettysburg Railroad incident put and end to flue extensions, to the chagrin of many, like Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, who had an otherwise operational C&O 2-8-4 with maybe 60 days of running over a 15 year span on the flues that they had to park.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/30/24 10:57 p.m.

Well, that was cool if not wet. smiley But... I can't figure out how to create a media embed of my youtube video at VolvoHeretic447 for this thread. angry Edit: Finally figured it out but it wasn't intuitive.

VolvoHeretic
4/30/24 11:18 p.m.

Some photos:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/1/24 8:31 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Very cool, and I'm certainly jealous. Living deep in CSX territory means we never get cool visitors like this. I'm hoping that changes in the near future with Joe Hinrich's more friendly management and CSX's support of the C&O #2716 restoration.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/1/24 11:11 a.m.

Want to buy your own full-sized steam locomotive? Here's one on Facebook marketplace. Just be warned, it's $200,000. And really rough. And doesn't have a tender. And the ownership of it is a bit disputed.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/401504865977107/?__cft__[0]=AZUnjEuuO42Qa477509mLpiwoslzvzx9qINvA17ed22BMLhJHs7uy4YiijmXvp4YYMUhAXOvoxAfGULPcb-YFmuhLJyznfPzIfbOtpGeoMq1qWlRCMz5YTUIfU7vAuyFVpfyrpVCqOd-SKFjSuK0yQY7VwTWZtBaRyrfX68_XQbVBnPqXWgu3JVMHbDR9d9eUxjOQTePYSoav4fjMbEnXIqNB8G6fZfsxYXZ5nz6hb1D2g&__tn__=-UK-R

This is Grand Trunk Western #8305/Northwest Wire & Steel #05, an Alco-built 0-8-0 that ran into the late-'70s/early-'80s at NW&S's steel mill at Sterling, Ohio. Northwest Wire & Steel was where steam locomotives went to die. Hundreds of them passed through the gates at Sterling to be cut up and melted down, and Ron Ziel's Twilight Of The Steam Locomotive has a chapter showing CB&Q 2-10-4s being broken up at Sterling. NW&S also had an insular railroad, for moving equipment destined for scrap into the yard and moving gondolas of metal parts around the facility. Since they received so many steam locomotives, and management was rather frugal, they had used a batch of ex-CB&Q 0-6-0s for this purpose. But when GTW sent a dozen 0-8-0s to be scrapped, they were determined to be in much better shape than the CB&Q 0-6-0s, and so the 0-6-0s bit the dust and the best of the 0-8-0s were put into service. They were renumbered by covering up the first two digits, with the #8305 becoming the #05 (the plate covering the 83 is visible in the photos)..

These engines ran until 1981, moving cars around at Sterling. They were hard to get access to, and NW&S wasn't terribly railfan-friendly (they ran the steam locomotives because they were cheap and they had parts, not because there was some love for them), so they weren't frequently photographed, although everyone knew they were there. They became increasingly altered in appearance, as headlights, bells, whistles and tenders were swapped out for parts from other long-scrapped locomotives. NW&S had a literal mountain of whistles and bells and headlights and numberplates that railfans tried to access to scavenge from, and there's photos of at least one 0-8-0 wearing an ex-CB&Q combination headlight/Mars light taken from an O-5a Northern or M-4 "Colorado". They also were (poorly) converted to oil-burning and single-man operation, and photos of them show them constantly oozing clouds of black smoke into the sky from the improperly set-up conversion. This also resulted in tender swaps, and one of the most freakish was paired up with a KCS Vanderbilt tender that was hooked up backwards (cylindrical water tank forward) because the cab awning hit the oil bunker. Poorly maintained and badly battered by their service, they lasted until 1981, when a change in management resulted in a call to EMD for SW1001s, and the 0-8-0s were retired.

The management that retired them offered all the remaining 0-8-0s to Illinois Railway Museum (some had been retired, parted out and scrapped over the years) and they were set out on a siding in Galt, Illinois by the C&NW. IRM traded 5 of them to the scrapyard in Chicago where CB&Q 2-8-2 #4963 had been languishing since Dick Jensen had been illegally evicted from the C&WI roundhouse in 1971, and those were scrapped. One was moved to the IRM campus, a couple others were sold off, and eventually only the #8305/#05 was left. It is reportedly the worst of the survivors, but it was at the front of the line (towards the end of the spur), and so as they were sold off, they were pulled from the back. C&NW also removed the switch at some point, leaving the #8305 land-locked on the piece of track.

Now, the person selling it, if you look at their profile, is just some lady who has a bunch of photos of beaches and camp and her marketplace profile shows her selling a couple of high-end RVs. When people on Ahead Of The Torch reached out to her to say "Hey, you don't own this" her response was "It's on my land, I'm selling it." The #05 is actually still owned by IRM as far as anyone knows. Around '02, IRM sold it to a private owner with the caveat that if it wasn't moved within a year, ownership would revert to them. From what I understand, the owner got the tender moved, never moved the locomotive, and then passed away. The tender was scrapped, and ownership of the #05 reverted to IRM. I am genuinely curious if the "seller" genuinely owns the land that the track is on, or if they just own the land around it and think they own the right of way. Also, I can't imagine them getting $200,000 for it. I don't think it's worth that much in scrap. And it was rough 40 years ago, and sitting out in the open hasn't done it any favors, plus the tender is now gone and scrapped. 

VolvoHeretic
5/1/24 11:17 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

It was really cool watching a running steam locomotive (first time ever for me). After filming video 3, we thought that the train was leaving town for good so we raced down track a few miles so that we could film the train at speed. And then we waited... and waited... for about an hour standing in the rain before giving up and driving back to town only to discover the train had been put to bed in the Soo Line Yard for the night. 

I wonder how much work No. 2816 was doing what with 2 old diesel electrics and evidently a modern electric as well pushing it along. They could probably just have hooked up a few CO2 fire extinguishers and just faked making any steam. smiley

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/1/24 11:39 a.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I wonder how much work No. 2816 was doing what with 2 old diesel electrics and evidently a modern electric as well pushing it along. They could probably just have hooked up a few CO2 fire extinguishers and just faked making any steam. smiley

The #1001 is actually an ex-SD40-2F set up to run on hydrogen unit and was set out in Medicine Hat. The hydrogen locomotive test program has received financial support from the government of Alberta and the first day's passengers included Alberta Premier Danielle Smith and several other officials and the #1001 was on the train so it could be shown off to the provincial government people who helped fund it. According to those who saw it, it was running, as they saw some steam wafting out of it at one point, around where the front of the radiators would have been when it was a diesel.

Whether the #2816 is really doing any work is kind of dependent on CPKC. I know some railroads tend to just kind of have the engine loping along at the front (UP has been criticized of that with the #4014 on some of the tours) while others just cut it in when needed (R&N really only kicks the diesels in with the #425 at Hometown Hill because she's not rated to lug 18 cars up that grade, and even then the #425 is still contributing because she's barking pretty good). A steam locomotive can pull a longer train than it can start, since they make more horsepower as speed increases, so often the diesels are there to help get it moving without too much wheelslip and beating up the running gear and tires. They're also used for dynamic braking to save the brakes on the passenger car and to not risk skidding the drivers on the steam locomotive. Some of the low speed moves I've seen in videos, it really doesn't sound like she's doing much, but I've seen a couple of pacing shots along highways where the exhaust note sounds like she's working. 

An example of how a steam locomotive sounds when it's really working at low speed, this is a video I took of Reading #2102 leaving Port Clinton, and you get those deep, loud, cannonshot exhaust blasts.

An interesting detail is that the auxiliary tender with the big Buckeye 3-axle trucks is built from a D&H Challenger tender, the last remaining large part from a D&H 1500. It came off of the #1508 and was used by the MoW crews as a mobile fuel bunker all through the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s. It was still on the property when CP took over the D&H in '91 and after CP acquired "The Empress" in the late '90s, they moved that tender up to Canada and converted it to a canteen to town behind the #2816.

UP definitely faked some in their "The Last of the Giants" film they put out near the end of the Big Boys' careers. They had shots showing the progression of UP big motive power and needed a shot of the 2-10-2s, but they were all retired and scrapped by that point, except for #5511, which had been in use as a stationary boiler at Green River. They tossed a couple of old tires in the smokebox, lit them on fire, and then pushed the locomotive with some diesels just out of frame. If you look close, the piston rods are cut and so the connecting rods aren't even hooked up. Convincing at first glance, and it's only a couple frames in the film.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/1/24 11:43 a.m.

A photo of the ex-GTW 0-8-0 with the backwards Vanderbilt tender at Northwest Steel & Wire. I believe the tender came off one of the monster KCS 2-8-8-0 "Big Malleys" and did make the move to IRM, although there aren't any KCS "Big Malleys" left to pair it with.

VolvoHeretic
5/1/24 9:22 p.m.

Here's Hydrogen powered engine No. 1001 NickD is referring to that they don't show much of while on city display. (Not my photo)

Edit: LOL, I checked out all of the Empress Final Spike Tour Begins videos on YouTube and had to laugh, there must be hundreds of Engine No. 2816 videos dating back to at least 2001. At least mine are the newest and as such are at the very bottom of the YouTube page. YouTube.com: "CPKC’s Final Spike Anniversary Steam Tour Engine 2816"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/2/24 12:44 p.m.

Something I haven't mentioned, but I've been watching, and is really concerning, is the current proxy battle at Norfolk Southern. Ancora Investment, an "activist investor" who buys out "underperforming" businesses and turns them around, has been trying to seize control of NS and install their own management. NS isn't exactly great right now, and there was the whole East Palestine business last year, but they've been turning things around and the current NS management is much better than Ancora, who has no railroad experience.

When NS had a derailment a couple months ago, Ancora went on the attack and criticized them, but their criticsms and statements of what should have happened or been done showed that they had no actual knowledge on how railroading rules and laws and basics of operations work. From a Trains column on Ancora's safety white paper: 

First, the white paper gets off to a rocky start. It’s titled “Norfolk Southern Board Nominees State Serious and Urgent Concerns About Recent Unpublicized Norfolk Southern Locomotive Collisions.” The text of the white paper never mentions any unpublicized collisions.

Second, Ancora says it can’t understand how a collision could occur in territory protected by positive train control. “Congress has mandated that Positive Train Control (PTC) systems be put in place on mainlines in part to prevent two trains from colliding from the rear or head-on by automatically controlling the speed and braking of the moving trains. Given the role and importance of systems like PTC, the possibility for an incident like this to happen would require a failure of the system or direction to override the system by Norfolk Southern management. As such, the Lehigh Valley accident raises important questions about the functionality (or lack thereof) of the PTC system on this section of the line,” Ancora says.

This statement prompted eye rolls from railroaders who fully grasp how PTC works. PTC is not designed to prevent rear-end collisions when a train is operating at restricted speed. And in a March 6 briefing — the day before Ancora rushed out its white paper — the lead NTSB investigator said the second eastbound train was operating at a speed below the PTC threshold. In this case, it’s likely the second eastbound had a signal indication that allowed it to continue at restricted speed, a common practice across the industry.

The NTSB’s report ultimately will determine probable causes and contributing factors involved in the collision and derailment. Ancora has already reached a conclusion based on its faulty PTC analysis: “In our estimation, the events of March 2, 2024 suggest that the automatic controls, the judgments of operators or a systemic failure resulted in two trains being permitted to collide on the same track. In our experience, a conductor’s view from a locomotive is only approximately a half mile, and visibility may have been further limited by rain at the time of the accident, while a freight train traveling at normal speed of 45 mph takes approximately one mile to stop. In such cases, railroads must rely on other safety measures — including extremely low speed, careful estimation of distance and positioning using wayside signaling — to augment a PTC system that may not be functioning well or even at all. Seen in this light, we believe that the accident raises serious concerns about the culture of safety at Norfolk Southern.”

Third, Ancora wonders how “the initial collision was permitted to escalate into a three-train accident. Why did Norfolk Southern clear the westbound train to proceed past the two trains that had already collided on the adjoining eastbound tracks, and that had already resulted in wrecked cars on the westbound track?”

The NTSB answered that question on March 6. The westbound collided with the wreckage less than a minute after the initial collision and derailment, making it impossible to prevent.

Yet again Ancora jumps to a conclusion that’s not supported by the facts: “We believe this second collision raises important concerns with Norfolk Southern’s controls. … It would appear that either the information technology systems, which should have alerted operators to a problem on the line, either failed to do so, or the operators failed to appreciate that the westbound line was heavily impaired by the first collision.”

This alone should have been enough evidence to shake off Ancora's attempts. Ancora has also basically said that NS follows Precision Schedule Railroading (true) and that that's bad (also true) but then their plan to turn NS around is "PSR Harder", including nominating "Boom Boom" Jim Boychuk, a real Hunter Harrison diehard who did all sorts of damage over at CSX, to further implement PSR. They also want to put Jim Barber Jr., who has no railroad experience and was a UPS (Yes UPS, no UP) executive. Out of those two you've gotten statements like this, regarding NS's "resilience" hiring policies, which relies in part on not furloughing train crews during freight downturns to that the railroad can maintain service and capture volume during an economic rebound  :

“That would be like us at UPS hiring a hundred thousand people at peak season and keeping them on for the next nine months, even though I don’t need them to be resilient,” Barber says. “And who do you think loses in that world? The shareholders do.

Ah yes, the shareholders. The most important people. That last part of the quote makes him seem like a typical Wall Street clown. And it completely misses the fact that htere is a significant difference in UPS peak season operations and the railroad.

Also from Barber:

“That’s why it’s critical for NS to fully implement Precision Scheduled Railroading, cut costs, improve financial results and then bring on volume growth"

Look pal, you never worked in the railroad industry, so forgive me if I don't trust you to tell me what's critical. CN and CSX are still recovering from "fully implementing PSR" and the damage it did to them.

You also have this quote from "Boom Boom" Boychuk:

What really needs to be done there, though, is we got to strip this thing down to the studs."

Sounds like the typical PSR rape and pillage. Sell off locomotives, get rid of employees, tank your customer service, and the shareholders get rich and to hell with the crews, customers and everyone else.

Now, until recently, the unions were standing with the current NS management. All of a sudden though, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen has pulled their support and gone for Ancora. The BLET president said "that after careful review the union has determined that management change was in the best interest of the union’s members and the railroad." To me "careful review" sounds like an envelope of cash in a meeting. This is a management team that has already said they plan to reduce crews and "strip it down to the studs". Can't imagine that's really in the best interest of the union members. Especially since it has come out that the union body was never approached over this sudden change of heart and wasn't notified until the president came out with his support. Really sounds like a payoff to me,

The vote for the new board members is in a week, and right now it looks like Ancora is going to win. Which is deeply concerning. Again, NS might not be great now, but once Barber and "Boom Boom" get their hooks into NS, it's really going to be a E36 M3show.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/2/24 12:52 p.m.

What's the story behind the nickname of "Boom Boom"? Well, back when he was at CN a bunch of years back, when Hunter Harrison was still alive and Boychuk was one of his golden boys like Keith Creel, Boychuk and another supervisor thought they could run a remote-control yard job better than the regular crews. They launched out of the north end of the former BC Rail Prince George yard with a cut of cars onto the descending grade, sideswiped a freight train at the crossovers, dumped a bunch of cars including some diesel and gasoline tank cars and an LPG tank mixed. A lot of citizens were evacuated, the diesel and gasoline caught fire and flowed out onto the Fraser River. The Fraser River was on fire, and since then he has been known as Boom Boom. 

From what people who worked at CSX have said, he was so reviled by the regular working employees that he was paranoid someone was going to take a shot at him and he had his own personal bodyguards as a result, which no one else in CSX management had. When Jim Foote fell on his sword last year after the STB hearing and Joe Hinrichs took over, reportedly Hinrichs took away his security team, and that really set things off between them. Hinrichs held an Employee Family Day, the first in 8 years, and Boychuk was conspicuously not there and then not long after Hinrichs gave him the boot.

Look up Boychuk and you'll see that no one likes the guy other than board members and shareholders but the SOB turns up anywhere there's a Hunter Harrison devotee in charge and they think he can do no wrong.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
5/2/24 12:56 p.m.

So what would this be called? Looks to be a 6-8-4. Obviously its not real (Fallout 4, 76) More pictures exist online but not a lot that hotlink. I really enjoy the design language of it.  

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/2/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Or a 2-1-D-2, since it appears to be a turbine-electric, and the 3rd axle ahead of the drive wheels is not attached to the two lead truck axles.

I see some inspiration from a Virginian EL-1a electric, with the big low slung electric motor drive with connecting rods attaching the drive axles.

The turbine bit above the drive axles is also distinctly PRR S-2 inspired.

You would definitely need some tall tunnels and a lot of superelevation in the curves to run that things.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/2/24 1:25 p.m.

A very cool video pacing CPR #2816 taken from one of Dakota Territory Air Museum's biplanes.

VolvoHeretic
5/2/24 6:09 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I can only see your link for about 1 second before it vanishes. Is this what you are referring to?

YouTube.com: This ‘30 CP Steam Engine was riding in Minot, where a ‘31 WACO was captured flying along side.

Too bad he wasn't lobbing paper towel flour bombs at it. smiley

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/3/24 8:23 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Yeah, that's the video. The Facebook video embed function on here is always recalcitrant. Every time I think I get it to work, it changes.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/3/24 3:42 p.m.

The retiring STB Chairman, Martin Oberman, also blasted Ancora over their plans for NS.

Surface Transportation Board Chairman Martin J. Oberman on Wednesday blasted activist investor Ancora Holdings, saying that its plans for Norfolk Southern are a threat to rail service and the U.S. economy.

Ancora and NS are trying to woo the railroad’s shareholders in a bitter proxy battle that will end May 9 at the NS annual meeting.

“It’s not my position to urge shareholders how to vote in this election,” Oberman told the North American Rail Shippers annual conference. “It is my responsibility to call out serious threats to the national rail network. And everything about Ancora’s campaign should cause serious concerns to all rail stakeholders.”

Ancora aims to reduce costs at NS and is ultimately targeting a 57% operating ratio within three years. NS CEO Alan Shaw plans to improve the railroad’s operating ratio to below 60%, as well, but has emphasized taking a slower approach that would take a year longer.

Oberman, who leaves office on May 10, said that maintaining adequate service should be top of mind for all railroads after CSX’s rocky transition to the low-cost Precision Scheduled Railroading operating model in 2017 and the widespread railroad service problems in 2021 and 2022 that were related to crew shortages.

Oberman says railroads should not try to cut their way to prosperity and should maintain an adequate buffer of crews and locomotives. “In order for railroads to maintain service and their obligations to both their customers and the public, they cannot operate with only enough people and locomotives to meet the needs of the moment when the sun is shining and there are no problems,” Oberman says.

As part of Shaw’s resilience and growth strategy, NS has adopted a no-furlough policy so that it has enough train crews on hand to handle an eventual rebound in freight volume.

Ancora has been critical of Shaw’s strategy, and says carrying extra people through a freight downturn is incompatible with lean PSR principles. Ancora’s CEO candidate, former UPS executive Jim Barber Jr., has said that the parcel company would never keep on the additional 100,000 workers it hires every year to handle peak holiday shipping volumes.

Oberman took issue with the comparison of seasonal parcel workers and railroaders. “Indeed, with all due respect to those hardworking folks at UPS, it doesn’t take as much skill and training to load a cardboard carton onto the back of a van as it does to drive a 3-mile-long train or handle complex railcar movements in the yard,” Oberman says, noting that it takes railroads six months to hire and train conductors.

The STB chairman said he was deeply troubled about comments that Ancora’s chief operating officer candidate, former CSX operations boss Jamie Boychuk, has made. “Just two weeks ago, he told a group of investors what we really need to do is really take it down to the studs,” Oberman says.

Ancora has touted Boychuk’s experience implementing PSR at CSX alongside CEO E. Hunter Harrison.

“What Ancora, of course, doesn’t tell us is that the abrupt radical changes across the CSX network beginning in the spring of 2017 … caused immediate and catastrophic consequences to customers, other railroads, both Class Is and short lines, the CSX workforce, and the public,” Oberman says.

After Harrison’s death in December 2017, CSX went on to post the industry’s best financial results and service metrics.

Boychuk has said Harrison moved too fast at CSX and failed to properly communicate with customers, regulators, and employees. Boychuk has said he would roll out operational changes more slowly at NS and with plenty of communication beforehand.

“To me, the best predictor of what a person will do in the future is what he has done in the past,” Oberman says.

Ancora, which has said repeatedly that it will not lay off NS employees and has not mentioned furloughs during its proxy campaign, says it plans to lower costs at the railroad by letting attrition reduce the workforce, by parking excess locomotives and freight cars, and by giving operations a complete makeover. The Cleveland-based firm also said Norfolk Southern’s plan calls for a reduction of 500 locomotives, which is 50 locomotives more than Ancora plans to store.

Oberman says he’s concerned about the potential service impacts of reducing employment levels at NS. The railroad has returned its workforce to pre-pandemic levels of 16,475, but that’s 35% fewer employees than it had before rolling out a PSR-based operating plan in 2019, Oberman notes.

And Ancora aims to return NS to 14,000 employees, which is just over the staffing low point during the 2022 service crisis, Oberman says. “So this is the railroad Mr. Boychuk wants to take down to the studs,” he says. “He doesn’t have far to go.”

NS claims that Ancora’s plan would require 2,900 job cuts in order to meet its operating ratio targets. “If that’s true, that would leave the railroad with just over 13,000 – a level below its worst service performance in years, a level which would likely be catastrophic for our economy and for all stakeholders,” Oberman says.

“So boiling down Ancora’s takeover plan, their goal of taking it down to the studs is not to rebuild it into a robust railroad needed for our economy, but to simply leave us with a much smaller railroad,” Oberman says.

“There is little doubt in my mind that if Ancora succeeds in taking control of NS and strips it down, as it promises, service will suffer a significant deterioration and the STB will undoubtedly consider even more significant regulation as necessary to protect the public,” Oberman says.

Ancora says it appreciates Oberman’s concerns around potential service issues, but says that providing reliable, efficient, and best-in-class service is the foundation of its plan.

TheMagicRatchet
TheMagicRatchet New Reader
5/6/24 7:27 a.m.

I apologize for sticking my nose in here but I would not be inclined to trust anything Ancora says about service levels. Their sole business purpose is to provide profitable investments for their clients with portfolios starting at $1,000,000. 

From their own web page: "Each Ancora investment strategy is carefully architected to preserve and grow capital and .....generate alpha for our clients in an uncertain market."

My 40 plus years in the business world leads me to believe their real plan is to run NS into the ground and achieve maximum capitalization along the way. Once the operation can no longer be profitable they will find a way to make it someone else's problem: they might just close it down and sell it off in pieces, they could overvalue the remaining assets and sell it, or look to the government for a bail out. 

Lou

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/6/24 10:06 a.m.

In reply to TheMagicRatchet :

Oh, I agree. Ancora's strategy is "Gut it, make it look really profitable short-term, make the investors rich, then dump it." Like I said, Boychuk is a real piece of work, who wrecked things over at CSX and got the boot as soon as someone who wasn't a Hunter Harrison acolyte too charge. And while I don't think a railroad outsider is guaranteed to be a bad leader (Joe Hinrichs over at CSX came from Ford and Firestone and a lot of his mentality has been "As someone who worked with railroads on the other side, this is where they go wrong" and is fixing things), Barber seems like he is absolutely out of his depth and has no clue what he's talking about. I mean, honestly, comparing train crews to UPS employees. No offense to anyone who works for UPS, but folding cardboard boxes and driving vans around is very different from being a trained railroad crew. To make that comparison shows how little he knows. And the BLET siding with Ancora reeks of someone getting paid off; Ancora, Barber and Boychuk have already said they plan to cut NS to the bone, how could they seem the best option for the crews? 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/6/24 11:16 a.m.

To add to this, Ancora announced that, if they take charge, they project 10.1% carload volume growth at NS through 2027 through the further implementation of PSR. Boychuk was at CSX when they implemented PSR in 2017 and is championing that it will allow this growth, which is honestly unprecedented. NS has never experienced four straight years of carload growth this century. The closest it’s come is growing four out of the five years following the Great Recession, when NS carload volume rebounded 9.7%.While that's close to Ancora’s four-year target, we’re also not coming out of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

There's an even bigger problem: the same "great" strategy has not worked over at CSX either. The CSX of 2023 handled 6.4% fewer merchandise carloads than the pre-PSR CSX of 2016. Over this same stretch, carload volume fared even worse on Norfolk Southern. Its merchandise volume is down 10.1% from 2016 through 2023, which is likely due to erratic service and profit margin strategy that has raised rates, which pushed customers past their pain thresholds and they shifted their freight to trucks. These volume declines follow the overall trend in the East this century. CSX and NS have lost a combined 1.8 million non-coal, non-intermodal carloads since 2000. That’s a punishing 27% decline.

So, Ancora is making wild promises that they really have no hopes of fulfilling, as shown by history at a railroad where their PSR czar just came from. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/6/24 2:56 p.m.

NS has begun a program of repainting and restoring their heritage units and has already repainted #8099 (Southern), #1069 (Virginian), and #1067 (Reading), and just recently got the #1074 (DL&W) unit operational again, after years of being out of service, and repainted it. The #8102 (PRR) is also at Altoona and supposedly the next to get painted. My guess is, if Ancora wins their bid to take over NS, this whole program falls by the wayside.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/7/24 8:29 a.m.

The original heritage unit? This ex-Western Pacific GP was still in the late orange and dark green WP paint and lettering when it was involved in a pretty bad smash-up in Reno. New owner Union Pacific took it to their Salt Lake City shops for repair, and fixed it using a cab off an ex-Missouri Pacific EMD and the long hood off a Union Pacific unit. Would that be Western Missouri Union Pacific? Or Western MoP-UP? After it was tested, it was then shot in UP Armour Yellow, gray and red, and put back in service.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/7/24 11:32 a.m.

The first heritage unit in the US was actually Amtrak #4935 in 1977. Howard Serig, an economist with the U.S. Department of Transportation and a lifelong Pennsy fan, publicly floated the of a GG1 being restored to its PRR appearance in a November 1976 column. Serig and others organized a group called the Friends of the GG1, or FOGG, to push the idea and the original target was Conrail, operator of the largest fleet of GG1s. Conrail wanted out of the electric freight-hauling business and was busy trying to get it's feet under it as it consolidated the remains of half a dozen bankrupt railroads and had no interest, so the group eventually found traction with Amtrak. The group got a commitment and went about raising the $10,000 Amtrak said it needed to pay for the paint job, aided by contributions from NRHS chapters. 

In March 1977, the #4935 went into Amtrak’s Wilmington Shops for the overhaul, which included some mechanical updates as well as the new paint job, and a few weeks later emerged in PRR Brunswick Green with gold pinstripes. There was then a ceremony for it's unveiling at Washington Union Station, which included a speech by industrial designer Raymond Loewy, who had come up with the idea of spot-welding the body to remove the rivets and designed the livery for them (contrary to popular belief, Loewy did not design the carbody). After the ceremony, the #4935 was assigned to the 3:05 p.m. Murray Hill to New York. The train’s regular consist was improved with ex-PRR business car 120, the Pennsylvania, owned at the time by Manhattan attorney George Pins, himself a big GG1 fan and legal adviser to FOGG, and the car was adorned with a "Friends of the GG1” keystone drumhead.

It was a welcome, but brief, reprieve. The locomotive continued to fly the PRR flag until October 10, 1980, when it made its last run. By then 4 decades or use, as well as a dwindling parts supply and issues with frames cracking, and the arrival of the Swedish-designed AEM-7s, which succeeded where the Metroliner EMUs and GE E60CHs had failed, conspired to dislodge the remaining GG1s from the roster. Fortunately it found a permanent home inside the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, where it's displayed in the main hall, looking like brand new.

1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 ... 378

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P1JJDWmuG3TdWGkqICj9NlldmSvEY3Av5h3BsEU76jHBToDyr1YznmXXal5psgxG