1 2 3 4 5
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/29/24 9:38 a.m.

So, I added another film camera to the mix: the Olympus XA2.

My dad and I each had one. He carried his while cycling, and I believe I got mine before my Canon A-1. I want to say both are circa 1980. It’s a 35mm rangefinder that now seems to have a following. 

The camera has three focus settings via that slider on the left: close, average, far. 

No lens cap, either. You just slide open the clam shell. That also turns on the camera. 

This one is my dad’s. The foam seals on both look pretty crusty, but this one looked a little better than mine. Both have been sitting here–in their factory boxes–for decades. I’m guessing neither has been used since the mid-’80s. I have the little clip-on flash, too. 

I hope to finish the roll this week. Then we’ll see what we have. 

David S. Wallens
4/29/24 9:43 a.m.

And next time I go to Orlando, I’ll drop it off for new seals plus a tune-up. 

David S. Wallens
5/1/24 9:41 a.m.

Dropped off some film yesterday. Sounds like I’ll see scans early next week. This roll was shot on the Canon F-1 and is a mix of Porsche photos, a farmers market and some modeling work. Might be a dog photo in there, too. 

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
5/1/24 1:29 p.m.

As much as I love the XA series, I think I have the worst luck with them. Have an XA4 that worked great up until it didn't on a work trip last month, having to shoot the last 20 or so exposures out of 36 in selftimer mode.

I've had weird luck with the original XAs. My XA2 works great still so I plan on using that one as long as possible, but I really liked the XA4s 28mm lens

Watch out for that dreaded stuck in self-timer issue they exhibit.

In other craziness, I went to the Waldo Flea Market before I went to the FIRM last sunday and came back with a Yashica 44LM TLR for the price of a gallon of gas. Dirty, but working. Now to look for 127 film and to see if my lab can develop it.

David S. Wallens
5/1/24 3:20 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

B&H has 127 film. Our local lab can’t process it, but he mentioned someone who can. (Of course I forget who.) I have at least one 127 camera, and pretty sure there’s still film in there. 

The plan is to drop off the XA2 at Kiwi for new seals and a tune-up. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/24 3:58 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Would the place that services your camera take a camera in by mail?  I don't know of a place around my way that I would trust to service my A1.  I would send my A1 and a couple of lenses that I would want cleaned and lubricated.    

dean1484
5/1/24 3:58 p.m.

I have that exact Olympus camera sitting on my desk at home.  I have had it for years just sitting there.   

David S. Wallens
5/1/24 4:28 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Would the place that services your camera take a camera in by mail?  I don't know of a place around my way that I would trust to service my A1.  I would send my A1 and a couple of lenses that I would want cleaned and lubricated.    

I use Kiwi Camera Service in Orlando. Their site says that they accept cameras by mail but to call first. They serviced my A-1. 

dean1484
5/1/24 5:03 p.m.

I will give them a call.

David S. Wallens
5/1/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

The owner was recently telling me how he believes there’s just one other camera repair shop in the entire state of Florida. 

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 9:14 a.m.

A downside of being into film cameras:

“Hey, I have these old film cameras. You want them?”

I might have more heading my way. We’ll see. 

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
5/2/24 9:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to dean1484 :

The owner was recently telling me how he believes there’s just one other camera repair shop in the entire state of Florida. 

Coastal Film Lab in Tampa, repair tech was a former Subaru tech and is now repairing cameras and has done some creative repairs on some cameras including 3d printing, etc. What's different is he is also really young, in an industry where most repair shops are owned by older people close to retirement age. He's fixed a few of my cameras including recently cleaning the viewfinder and aligning the rangefinder on my Minolta CLE. Unlike the Canon and Lecia barnack rangefinders, the adjustment more than I wanted to DIY. I can do a rangefinder alignment on those lol.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/2/24 9:39 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

How come I never meet people like this?

All I get is "Oh wow, I had a film camera like that in high school." And then they leave.

aw614
aw614 HalfDork
5/2/24 9:45 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
David S. Wallens said:

How come I never meet people like this?

All I get is "Oh wow, I had a film camera like that in high school." And then they leave.

Somehow I keep finding deals its kind of crazy some of stuff I've found, I get a lot of "film isn't used anymore, everyone is using their phones" as they sell me their camera at a crack pipe cost haha

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

We should chat. :) 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/24 10:47 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Phil was one of the Lemons judges at CMP. He has a thing for old film cameras and shooting pictures in junk yards. One of our team members collected all of the cameras her parents had in boxes and gave them to him as a bribe. He shot these since the race. 

No description available.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
5/2/24 10:56 a.m.

On the topic of 127 film, if you already have Paterson plastic film reels, they are adjustable and have a 127 setting AFAIK.   Of course this only helps if you were looking to process the film yourself.   In theory you can do C-41 & E-6 yourself, but in 30+ years I never have.   

One interesting bit of trivia about 127 film size is that the current crop of medium format digital cameras like the Fuji GFX and Hassy X2 have sensors closer to the size of a 127 format (44x33) than to classic 120 medium format film cameras (6x4.5-7).   

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Those look so cool. 

David S. Wallens
5/2/24 11:31 a.m.

In reply to SEADave :

That Fuji GFX line has gotten my attention. I’d still like to play with film medium format, too.

David S. Wallens
5/8/24 9:44 a.m.

The Olympus XA2 has been dropped off for service: new seals, clean, lube, etc. He said to give it a few weeks. I’ve let the camera sit for like 40 years, so not having it for a month is fine. 

David S. Wallens
5/8/24 9:45 a.m.

And shot some more film last night–not enough to finish a roll, though. 

Toyman!
5/8/24 11:45 a.m.

What was the name of the shop you use for your rebuilds? I wrote it down somewhere and promptly forgot where. I still need to send my Pentax in for seals and the mirror cushion. 

David S. Wallens
5/8/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Kiwi Camera in Orlando.

Also, yesterday I learned that he takes his car to one of our $2000 Challenge pro drivers for service. 

Toyman!
5/8/24 12:11 p.m.

Thanks!

David S. Wallens
5/8/24 1:13 p.m.

I’m also waiting on two rolls to be processed from a modeling shoot this past weekend. 

The anticipation....

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s3C1DMQ7WRFeabSCqcG6rJhR2JA2U5a6hXc1rq7wXtdXFsaDDJDlHdEWwiKBxNqa