secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/11/24 12:35 p.m.

Thanks for the link!

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/21/24 4:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Flynlow :

Can you get a picture of how the headers were done?  I understand the well I could have made it bigger thoughts. On mine I'm trying to limit the size so that I am limited in the amount of cars it allows me. 

Been on the road the past week, so I hadn't been able to take pictures.  Inside is through-bolted (or possibly heavy lag bolts), I'm assuming due to the greater weight.  Lean-to is just nailed:

Couldn't do the lean-to with just nails in Florida.  You'd find the lean-to in the neighbor's field.   wink

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/21/24 5:44 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

You'd also need to strap those trusses down to the header. 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/21/24 5:49 p.m.

Thankfully, building in Florida wasn't high on my priority list when planning for rural Virginia.  :)

Yes.   When I travel north I'm always surprised by the differences in wind load codes.  Saves a lot of money.  We would be doing bolts and hurricane clips on each truss.   

Love your project!   yes

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/24 7:16 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

Thanks.  I like seeing details like that for some weird reason.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
2/22/24 1:34 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Happy to help, I know you have projects of your own underway.  If you need pictures of anything else, just let me know!

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/27/24 6:29 p.m.

Updates!  Building has been skinned, gravel for driveway and concrete base in progress:

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/27/24 6:30 p.m.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/27/24 6:54 p.m.

Also, it is shocking how much fill dirt and gravel ends up being needed.  I haven't looked at all my receipts, but I know it's over 100 tons of gravel, may be closer to 200-300.  That's a lot of rocks!

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
3/27/24 9:51 p.m.

General pole barn question: Are the main support poles just into the raw earth? Any containment or treatment? I would imagine they would rot out eventually and it seems like a huge task to replace/repair them.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
3/28/24 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

I would imagine they are placed in concrete so little to no contact with soil that would cause future rot. And I assume the concrete and posts extend below frost as well. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
3/28/24 9:06 a.m.
Flynlow said:

Also, it is shocking how much fill dirt and gravel ends up being needed.  I haven't looked at all my receipts, but I know it's over 100 tons of gravel, may be closer to 200-300.  That's a lot of rocks!

When I re-stoned my driveway and put in a circle drive I ordered a truck load of stone and they said that was 23 tons which I thought would go a long way. 4 more truck loads later I was finished. It doesn't go as far as I expected.

The building is looking great!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/24 9:29 a.m.

This is awesome!  Not sure how I've missed it until now.  Beautiful place!

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/28/24 10:19 a.m.
Sonic said:

General pole barn question: Are the main support poles just into the raw earth? Any containment or treatment? I would imagine they would rot out eventually and it seems like a huge task to replace/repair them.  

Depends on the construction, sometimes.  Mine are pressure treated, I believe they are set into concrete with 6" gravel at the bottom for drainage.  The builder was confident of ~50 year lifespan, which was good enough for me.  He's built a lot of them. 

If repair were needed, it's not terrible.  You can replace a post individually, or you can cut out the rotted part below ground and anchor to your foundation:

Working on one post at a time doesn't really affect the strength of the building.  Interestingly, this also means I can knock out the back wall, cut down four posts, and expand the building backwards in the future if I want, and it's not *that* much different in price than if I'd ordered a bigger building.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/28/24 10:20 a.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

This is awesome!  Not sure how I've missed it until now.  Beautiful place!

Thanks!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/24 11:56 a.m.

I also missed this earlier. I really like where this has ended up, both in terms of the lot and the building. Do you have plans for power? Seems like it could get a little dark in there. 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
3/29/24 10:32 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I also missed this earlier. I really like where this has ended up, both in terms of the lot and the building. Do you have plans for power? Seems like it could get a little dark in there.

Still debating.  I am working through the project in stages, first is get it up and weather-tight, then start finishing the interior (incl. power).  I'd be very open if anyone on the forum has suggestions.  I am planning to finish and insulate the ceiling, so was thinking either 4' LED panels set into the drywall:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Contractor-Select-CPX-2-ft-x-4-ft-White-Integrated-LED-4692-Lumens-Flat-Panel-Light-4000K-CPX-2X4-4000LM-40K-M2/306256044

Or, since there's 16' walls and 18' peak ceiling heights, shop high bay lighting:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LUXRITE-1-ft-100-120-150-Watt-UFO-High-Bay-LED-Black-Shop-Lights-Up-to-22500-Lumens-3CCT-IP65-120-277V-UL-Listed-LR41520-1PK/327077710?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AfmBOopPm-XdBezqdKLMOt3tEvT1NKRi5mvFDCUCcWoz1467i0C-RxiDsHc

I did get good advice from the builder to run a main panel here as an "agricultural drop", likely w/ 400amp service, rather than trying to set it up as a sub panel off the (eventual) main building.  Just have two meters and service, it's not significantly more, and if I ever rented out either building, it's that much easier to bill separately.  I went 400amp panel because I'd eventually like to have outlets for electric car charger, welder,, and air compressor (and maybe RV hookups), so there's a fair bit of circuits to run.

I will try to grab some pictures next week, I have an open area behind the building that I may grade flat and try to set up some solar panels.  Originally was thinking of putting them on the lean-to roof, but would prefer not to mount anything or drill holes in the metal panels if I can avoid it, and I have the space for ground mounts.  Concrete should be done soon, I have conduit for the panel and stubs for a bathroom going in. 

Keith Tanner
3/29/24 10:50 a.m.

I have solar panels on my metal roof. They're clipped on, IIRC. A ground mount does allow you to potentially have a better angle on the panels and thus get better efficiency, but you also are more likely to have problems with shade from vegetation. Definitely talk to a solar pro before you make any mounting decisions.

My shop has flat panels (retrofitted). Lighting is very bright and even. The 8' tubes don't add any meaningful illumination to the work area. Roof is probably about the same height as yours. These panels are 29,000 lumens each.

I would also suggest some good fans. They'll make your HVAC more efficient and make it more comfortable. I replaced the nasty fan in the above pic with a Big Ass Fan E7. Once I got over the sticker shock, I've had no regrets. It's been running continously and silently for nearly 6 years now.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
4/1/24 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You have great taste in tool boxes haha:

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
4/1/24 12:21 p.m.

Prepped for concrete, and 2-post area reinforced with re-bar:

Pouring concrete!:

Keith Tanner
4/1/24 12:28 p.m.

Why was the floor poured last? That seems backwards. Or is it a pole barn thing?

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
4/1/24 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Pole barn thing.  The skirt boards (the 2x6 pressure treated at the bottom of the poles) act as your form. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/24 12:37 p.m.

This is coming along nicely. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8HIBBLdDk9QUSY6VmfwGB2P7lKAqgFkfl9G9a7I4lSemBNmmQXAlFgFsVjo9qYKn