1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 213
BoulderG
BoulderG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/22/23 3:03 p.m.

When that stuff gets to be 5-10 years old, it really has a delightful bouquet. Very flinty, with a hint of earthiness. Definite undertones of chocolate, cherry, and nice rust-like tannins.

It pairs very nicely with a freshly roasted clutch...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 3:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

TIL that China shot down five U2s.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/when-china-shot-down-five-u-2-spy-planes-at-the-height-of-the-cold-war/ar-AA18tFXe?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=430e52dd9e554b828820f77c652eb968&ei=21

my Dad was a child of the Great Depression, then a US Marine in the Pacific in WW2. while those U2 events are before i was born, i remember my Dad talking about Gary Powers being a coward and putting our nation at risk for not taking his suicide pill.

I can't swear this is true because 2nd to 7th hand information.  That said, in my AF tech school one of the courses was auto pilot.  Everyone hated it because they used that course to teach you how to follow a wiring diagram.  It was 6 weeks of tracing every wire of the B52 auto pilot.  Now back to the U2.  I guess to tell us how important auto pilot was the instructor told us "how Gary Powers got shot down."  His story was that the U2 flying at cruise speed and attitude had 5 knots between stall speed and max speed.  Seeing how that would be about impossible for a human to control they used auto pilot to control the aircraft.  He claimed that Gary Powers' lost his auto pilot and the only way to continue was to lower attitude for a greater delta between max speed and stall speed.  When he went lower he got in range of the Soviet's SAMs.  I don't know if it's absolutly true or not but that story stuck with me.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/22/23 4:02 p.m.
Karacticus said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Peabody :

A lot of cars do that nowadays, but what hurts my brain are the plastic master cylinders.

Plastic sway bar end links

Because of my long and rough driveway, I'm very familiar with those.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/23 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

i did find references to him flying significantly lower altitude when shot down.  some insiders speculated that perhaps this was intentional, and he was planning to ditch the plane and defect to Russia.  Wiki says: 

Prisoner exchange

CIA opposition to exchange

The CIA, in particular, chief of CIA James Jesus Angleton, opposed exchanging Powers for Soviet KGB Colonel William Fisher, known as "Rudolf Abel", who had been caught by the FBI and tried and jailed for espionage. First, Angleton believed that Powers may have deliberately defected to the Soviet side. CIA documents released in 2010 indicate that U.S. officials did not believe Powers' account of the incident at the time, because it was contradicted by a classified NSA by a report which alleged that the U-2 had descended from 65,000 to 34,000 feet (20 to 10 km) before changing course and disappearing from radar. The NSA report remains classified as of 2022.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/23/23 5:34 p.m.

TIL that after messing around in college all those years ago I have 96 credit hours, so not that many from the 120 they say I need to graduate.  Also, while I had some extremely pathetic semesters, I actually managed to hit the dean's list once and was only a tenth of a gpa point from it a second time.

Also, if you look at the classes I took, I did fairly well in the ones like business ethics, theology, philosophy, accounting, performing arts, and thing like that and bombed the E36 M3 out of math and hard sciences.  Looking back on it, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 6:43 p.m.

They made Cheetos with less orange coloring but they failed in test markets because they "weren't as cheesy as real Cheetos".

The only difference was how much orange dye they put into the chemical cocktail, no flavor changes were made.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/25/23 8:28 a.m.
Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/23 12:36 p.m.

TIL that there is no aspect of what we are assuming is norovirus that is pleasant or enjoyable. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/23 1:27 p.m.
914Driver said:

TIL an Australian company is sending clever, inexpensive drones to Ukraine made of cardboard.

On a related note I saw this drone video from Mark Rober. This technology could easily be militarized to make a low cost battlefield tool. https://youtu.be/DOWDNBu9DkU

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/25/23 2:32 p.m.
iansane said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

TIL that while Nissan can't/won't make new chassis or engines since the 90s, they are bothering to make flavored gear oil.

GM has had grape diff fluid for decades. Probably the same stuff.

Same font, same words.

it's-the-same-picture-meme.jpg

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/25/23 2:44 p.m.
Karacticus said:

TIL that there is no aspect of what we are assuming is norovirus that is pleasant or enjoyable. 

Please take care of yourself and be careful.  When I got what was suspected to be norovirus, I went from fine, to ambulance ride, in about 15 hours.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/1/23 8:40 a.m.

TIL GRM Store doesn't off Dr Angry Guy phone covers for iPhone 13.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/23 10:41 p.m.

The Dancer and I are staying at a very fancy hotel before the short cruise we're going on that leaves this afternoon, and (counterintuitively) getting room service breakfast is actually the cheaper option than the other in-hotel choices. Included with all of the breakfasts is toast and assorted jams/marmalades. 

TIL that The Dancer and I should not ever be given Currant jam, because even with her being a dancer and not in a technical field, the puns that resulted from both of us were truly cringeworthy. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/6/23 10:45 a.m.
No Time
No Time UltraDork
4/6/23 4:18 p.m.

TIL that the Jeep WK (at least 2007) has an access panel in the inner fender for changing the front side marker lights.

Made me happy to learn this after telling the inspection station that I wouldn't pay them $15/bulb to change them and they could put the big red R on the windshield.  I was even nice and returned the scraper they left on the floor of my Jeep.

$3 and less than 5 minutes to change them and go the mile down the road ti get them to replace the sticker. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/7/23 2:59 p.m.

TIL that this

is powered by a 2l gasoline-fueled four cylinder.

And it fairly well scoots.  Like, my driving impression, before I knew what it was, was "Wow they figured it how to make the V6 Diesel quiet"

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/7/23 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Probably more reliable than the diesel, too.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/7/23 6:09 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Engines are fine, assuming they are maintained.  (It sounds like Bill's engine was deliberately killed via lack of oil pressure)

However, the fun starts when you can't find some electronic gizmo.  For instance, if you know anyone with a new ESP module for a CLS500, let me know, Mercedes no longer carries it and there are none in North America or Germany.  I have a customer who would like to have power steering again.

And now time for a rant about how bass-ackwards and low tech Mercedes electronics are...

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/7/23 6:20 p.m.

I haven't tried these guys out yet but you might check with  https://xemodex.com/us/abs-control-modules-for-mercedes-benz/

They look like they take a core and do a rebuild, but with some manner of warranty.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/7/23 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

First place I checked.  They o ly do ABS modules.  ESP is not part of the ABS on this application.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/16/23 3:06 p.m.

TIL that Taiwan still has two WWII-era US-built submarines in their Navy, which are expected to operate at least as late as 2026

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/16/23 3:21 p.m.
NickD said:

TIL that Taiwan still has two WWII-era US-built submarines in their Navy, which are expected to operate at least as late as 2026

Buying used is the way to go.  You know how badly those new submarines depreciate when you leave the dock the first time?

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/16/23 5:07 p.m.

aw darn...

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/16/23 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W :

A-hole service advisor convinced the guy to scrap the car.

I really do not like his attitude most of the time.  If I didn't like the owner so much, I'd leave.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/16/23 5:46 p.m.

Most of my biggest headaches at work are caused by service advisors. I'm not even in that department. 

1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 213

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3vJb5DIW4DzrbtJnwbPmNnlpldvx9bjIYM2KDxSnHOifBWhlzqjGfZ67gkYTun1s