1 ... 79 80 81 82 83
VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/13/24 8:58 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

We are LIVE!!!!

https://gofund.me/8d153851

All proceeds go to bringing our kids in Dnipro a little bit of Easter this year.  Luckily for us, Easter in Ukraine isn't celebrated until May 5th of this year so we have plenty of time on our side.  Please share with anyone you think might be interested in coming along!

Here we go!!!

Good luck to us!!! Fingers crossed!!!

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/24 9:36 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

Never again - i told mysef... ummm, until we found a homeless kitty  wink

It sounds like your pets choose you, too! 

The animals we have at our house all seem to adopt us somehow.  Sarah and I always talk about keeping fewer animals around the place, but one always shows up to adopt our family just as another is crossing the rainbow...  This time we knew that Mano (the black dog) was getting ready, the moment DJ (the brown staffie looking guy) showed up. 

3/13/24 9:46 a.m.

ok guys, time to play a game of "what's that noise?"!

Here's the video:

Hints (because I have no clue):

1) The noise definitely sounds like a bearing.

2) When the truck is stopped, the noise exists when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is out.  It goes away if the clutch is pushed in.

3) When the truck is moving, the noise will only stop if the transmission is in neutral AND the clutch is pushed in (engine running and now the truck is coasting)

4) Subjective, but I can't tell if the noise goes away in third or fourth gear (the road noise drowns out the sound).  It's definitely there in first and second gear, and will increase speed when the #1 synchro spools up on a downshift.

When the noise first started, I initially thought it was the clutch release bearing but am now re-thinking.  My mind has the noise attached to input shaft speed, and that has me thinking "pilot bearing"

My inability to discern whether the noise goes away in certain gears had me slightly concerned the fault was internal to the transmission.  I dipped a finger in my fill hole of the trans, and could verify the trans is filled to the brim with fresh/clean oil...

Thoughts?

3/13/24 4:58 p.m.

I can't believe I'm googling bearing noises...

Ok, it doesn't match what I'm finding for pilot bearing noises.  It doesn't match what I'm used to hearing with release bearing noises.  But at the 4:00 mark of this video he describes a condition that matches my symptoms and points to an input shaft bearing.

I actually have an input shaft bearing and a transmission in pieces somewhere in my garage...  I think I can get a good look at what's going to be involved when I get home and see if this is something I want to fix on truck, or if this is something I want to build up my spare transmission for (probably solidly in the former rather than the latter, but you never know).

Fun times, but better here than half-way to Dnipro cheeky

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/24 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

EDIT: it took me way too long to gather my thoughts and post this, and I did not see that you had posted again in the meantime.  You beat me to it.  This is definitely an on-the-bench trans rebuild and not an in-frame job.   The good news is that, provided you keep the trans full of good gear oil, I very much doubt this would actually fail catastrophically without weeks or months of very ugly noises.

Okay, let's see how this breaks down (pardon the phrasing).  For reference, this is a W56 transmission.  There's a big roller bearing that supports the front of the input shaft at the case and a smaller one that supports the rear of the input shaft over the nose of the output shaft.

1) Yes. But "sounds like" is subject to correction.  Can you get a helper to push the clutch pedal while you crawl around on the ground like a filthy worm and confirm it's not something like a loose bracket or cracked heat shield?

2) Noise with clutch engaged: engine, pressure plate, and input shaft are rotating as a unit. Throwout bearing is spinning freely under no axial load.  Countershaft and output shaft are not rotating.  Relative rotation between input and output shafts is high.
- Likely: throwout bearing (new?), input shaft front bearing, input shaft rear bearing.
- Unlikely: pilot bearing (no inherent rotation).

3) Noise with clutch disengaged: engine and pressure plate are rotating as a unit.  Throwout bearing is spinning under heavy axial load.  Input shaft, clutch disc, and pilot bearing are likely rotating at low speed due to normal bearing drag with box in neutral.  Output shaft is rotating at high speed.  Relative rotation between input and output shafts is high.
- Likely suspects: input shaft front bearing, input shaft rear bearing.
- Less likely: input shaft front bearing (assume low input shaft speed)
- Unlikely: throwout bearing (silent under axial load disengagement in test #2).

4) Noise present in 1st and 2nd gear: engine/input shaft speed is significantly higher than output shaft speed.
Noise reduced in 3rd and 4th gear: engine, input shaft, and output shaft speeds are all high (fourth gear is direct drive and relative rotation between input and output shafts is zero).
- Likely: input shaft rear bearing
- Less likely: input shaft front bearing

I think it's that input shaft rear bearing, which is very much internal.  I would not give it a second thought unless and until you have a spare transmission you can rebuild on the bench and throw in at your convenience.

This guy's videos are great.  You can watch him disassemble a W58 here - note how far in he gets before that rear input shaft bearing can be removed:

3/14/24 12:11 p.m.

Thank you for that AMAZING writeup.  I had not considered the rear input shaft bearing. 

1) So I did not have a helper, but I did check under the truck and even stuck a borescope in the clutch fork boot hole (snicker).  Carrier bearing did not appear to be spinning so I ruled that out.  No cracked heat shields, or brackets, or otherwise, so I grabbed a long screwdriver and tried touching it to various places (clutch fork included).  My ear is seriously out of calibration, but the noise was loudest at the clutch fork, and just aft of the front plate of the transmission.  With your info above, I'm leaning towards an internal bearing failure.

2) Throw-out bearing was new when clutch was installed before the war.  It's run the Bamako rally and whatnot, but I'm hardly abusive on my clutch/trans.  No reason to expect failure.

3) Agreed, all points

I think it's that input shaft rear bearing, which is very much internal.  I would not give it a second thought unless and until you have a spare transmission you can rebuild on the bench and throw in at your convenience.

so... You're not going to believe this, but:

I made some videos and will post them later today.  I wasn't able to logic my way quite as thoroughly through the situation as you were able to, but I figured we didn't have time to waste so I went and got started (I got kind of lucky with your suspected cuplrit there, I'll admit)

Thank you again TONS for the sanity check.  I'll keep driving on the current trans until I get this one built up and tested, but it looks like I'll be bench pressing a transmission in place again...

ugh.

3/14/24 1:56 p.m.
3/14/24 4:57 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

This guy's videos are great.  You can watch him disassemble a W58 here - note how far in he gets before that rear input shaft bearing can be removed:

I had one very similar open today when I was working in the garage.  I've got both saved now to my list

Here's the one I found (I haven't made it all the way through yet, so no review possible)

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/14/24 7:51 p.m.

Godspeed sir - Your humble truckster is now the face of the resistance!  

Side note - can't wait for this stupid war to end so we can see that sad Mopar get some love.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
3/15/24 1:12 p.m.
VikkiDp said:

Never again - i told mysef... ummm, until we found a homeless kitty  wink

The animals we have at our house all seem to adopt us somehow.  Sarah and I always talk about keeping fewer animals around the place, but one always shows up to adopt our family just as another is crossing the rainbow...  This time we knew that Mano (the black dog) was getting ready, the moment DJ (the brown staffie looking guy) showed up. 

You too? Most recently, as our house was starting to feel more like a geriatric home for pets, with two 17 year old (sibling) cats and a 15 year old little dog, I tried adopting a "pet free for 3 years" policy. I naively thought that might at least give me a one year reprieve from the messes, medical problems, and vet bills that had become the norm... Instead, a ~1 year old rescue that we happened across adopted us by responding to my younger daughters fears in the most heartwarming way. The timing ended up being just about perfect too, as a couple months later we had to say goodbye to both cats within 1 month of each other.

3/19/24 2:36 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Man, it's crazy isn't it?  If you would have told me 5-years ago today...  I mean the darn thing was just supposed to take us camping every once in a while! 

I would love it if the war would end soon so we everyone could get back to making their go at a normal life again.

3/19/24 2:45 p.m.

Happy Tuesday everyone!  Here's our update:

Ok, small bump in our Mother's and Baby's fund since we last posted, but the big news is the GoFundMe is open and running!

We're going strong early in the donation drive with nearly $1000 already collected.  The biggest news is that we received a message back from the orphanage.  Here's how we're looking:

I think you already know that the orphanage itself specializes in developmental disabilities and houses 70 children between the ages of 4 and 40-years-old. When we asked them what they would want us to bring, we were expecting some sort of “machinery” or “medical equipment”. Maybe clothes, etc. The message we got back today was a little surprising, and we think the level of thoughtfulness in their answer shows that we're picking a good place to support:

The first was "seeds or bulbs". We understand that they have flower planters around their grounds and they like to let the children plant flowers during this time of the year. Aside from making the place a bit nicer, it also gives the children something to water, care for, and to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Unfortunately this is something we’re going to have to purchase in-country as we’re not familiar enough with Ukrainian agricultural laws to risk things being confiscated at the border, but this is something we 100% wanted to support as we think it speaks VOLUMES as to the type of caregivers who work at the facility.

The second was A4 sized picture frames. The children make drawings on the days they can't go out, or just for an activity. The staff like to frame their pictures and put them on display as a way to show their appreciation or just to show off the children's work. We thought that was pretty cool!

The third was paper plates, napkins, and utensils. With the weather warming up, they like to have the children outside for a picnic as often as possible. Having the disposable plates and flatware lets them enjoy the outdoors more often.

They went on to say they've tried asking a few other organizations as well, but so far no one has been able to deliver. Well, we're already well on our way to changing that!  I've already spent $200 of that on chocolates for the 57 children we deliver regularly to but we still have a LOT of time left between now and the holiday to start funding the remaining items on the list.

Finally, we did press and the orphanage did eventually answer about the possibility of delivering medical devices. We’re not familiar with this one but they asked for a "bioresonance stimulation device" – it helps with the treatment and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal disorders, nervous system and other issues. In Ukraine a device like this costs about 32500 UAH ($880).   I'll attach a picture of what they sent us to this message so you can see what we're talking about, but first a quick "Post Script": Two more families in have been added to our list. Our family is now up to 62 children in Dnipro! (Details to follow)

Cheers everyone, and here's the link to the fundraiser if you wanted to share:  https://www.gofundme.com/manage/bring-easter-to-the-children-of-ukraine/updates

3/19/24 2:58 p.m.

On the truck front, it's been a busy week but I set aside 15 minutes to go knock stuff out (literally).

I set my camera up on selfie mode for more goofy pictures.  Here's how she looks

(I was not expecting that shaft to come apart there so easily in the second photo)

I got a few more bearings, gears, and synchros to pull off of that shaft I'm holding and then I can start the rebuild process.  I've been trying to take my time and make sure I don't lose anything and so far it looks like I have everything there!

Good times.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/21/24 4:03 a.m.

You too? 

Instead, a ~1 year old rescue that we happened across adopted us by responding to my younger daughters fears in the most heartwarming way. 

It always happens this way smiley right? wink

We naively think that we choose the pets laugh  ha, nope - they come when we need them heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/21/24 4:29 a.m.

I got a few more bearings, gears, and synchros to pull off of that shaft I'm holding and then I can start the rebuild process.  I've been trying to take my time and make sure I don't lose anything and so far it looks like I have everything there!

Ohhh, man, i hope you can put this puzzle together surprise

Wish you luck!!!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/21/24 4:45 a.m.

The biggest news is that we received a message back from the orphanage.  Here's how we're looking:

I think you already know that the orphanage itself specializes in developmental disabilities and houses 70 children between the ages of 4 and 40-years-old.

Let me add a little bit to that - some of the people in the orphanage are from Donbass region and Nikopol - these regions are too close to the front line and the buildings of the orphanages where these people lived before have been destroyed. They found refuge here  - in Dnipro.

I'm absolutely excited about the idea of flower's seeds and bulbs and others plants - i love it!!!

I think caring for flowers and plants will help them heal their souls and give them more positive emotions heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/21/24 5:01 a.m.

Hi everyone!!! heart How are you doing? 

Yesterday I was going through tons of photos on my phone to sort them and make video report from moms and kids fund. 

And I did that, but I found two other videos and to be honest, I don't remember if I posted them here or not blush

so I'm posting all three ones below smiley

Thank you to everyone who made this help possible heart

Have a good day!!!

3/21/24 12:10 p.m.

Those are AMAZING Vikki, thank you!  And thank you for translating those messages for us.

I know I've seen some of the pictures, but I don't remember watching the videos.  Those were nice heart

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/24 3:55 p.m.

In reply to VikkiDp :

Автобус!!

Pretty damn dusty in here for such a rainy day...

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/25/24 6:38 a.m.

Hi everyone!!! heart

Latest updates from moms and kids fund.

I ordered baby food, diapers and B-day gift for one of the our new babies - this baby boy turns 1 yo on Friday, so i think all the stuff will arrive on time smiley

Fund's report

Have a good week!!! 

3/27/24 5:14 a.m.

Soooo, I've been busy with the transmission in the mornings and may or may not have swapped first and second gear around on the shaft.  I took it back apart and of course have photos/updates but wanted to get on real quick and say that we've been making time to get out and snag some easter chocolates while we still can (With Easter coming this weekend here, chocolates will be discontinued come Monday...)

Goooood times

3/29/24 2:19 a.m.

Quick update while I'm on the road laugh

We got a message back from one of the mothers.  Does everyone remember David from Kramatorsk?  He's almost two years old and we sent him a giant plush toy and a foot-bike for Christmas.  Well, his mom wrote back and let us know that his foot-bike has become his absolute favorite toy!

Here's a quick picture and video for you guys:

That is one happy guy right there.  Here's hoping for lots of good motorcyclin' weather for the kiddo.

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/30/24 9:39 a.m.

o

Wooowww!!! I love this pile of Easter chocolates!!! heart

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
3/30/24 9:50 a.m.

Hi everyone!!! and Happy Easter!!!

Warm and sincere wishes to you all and your families on this glorious day.

I hope this holiday fills your heart and your home with love, joy and peace.

Have a blessed and happy Easter! Have a great Easter weekend!

VikkiDp
VikkiDp Reader
4/1/24 9:55 a.m.
VikkiDp said:

I ordered baby food, diapers and B-day gift for one of the our new babies - this baby boy turns 1 yo on Friday, so i think all the stuff will arrive on time smiley

Little Aron got all the stuff, including his B-day gift smiley

Unfortunately, as his mom reported, he's a little sick. So she promised to sent us Aron's photo as soon as it can be possible. 

-translation-

Good morning. We received everything. Sorry, but Aron is sick, so i can't take a photo yet.

Huge thanks to you all for such a big help and a special thanks for the toy (*B-day gift).

Peaceful sky above your heads.

Hi, everyone!!! how's your holiday weekend going?

1 ... 79 80 81 82 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dXUjaRxHI2AcLxf9UVZnjWWbvON57jZ7PRdjqrk9ki71iTQEKHqVhP1R8wZdvPxK