David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/22 8:55 a.m.
feature_image

We sat in the forthcoming Honda Civic Type R, and while we don’t yet know the price and couldn’t even fire it up–yes, we pressed the button–we’re already rather smitten. Here are 10 reasons why you (probably) want one.

Just look at it. Subtle, classy, purposeful. It’s like 1997 all over again–or, if in Japan, 1995 all over again. The …

Read the rest of the story

calteg
calteg SuperDork
8/11/22 9:46 a.m.

Of course I want a CTR. I just can't afford a CTR. And knowing it's 1000% going to be a collectible one day, I'd feel guilty every time I took it out.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/11/22 9:48 a.m.

And one big reason why I don't: I couldn't get past the Fast and Furious look. Then there's the question of what demographic loves the look and can afford it. Yes, maybe in 20 years it'll be worth $200K. Okay.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/11/22 10:06 a.m.

It's cool!  It will perform!  It will cost more appendages than I have!  I'm more than happy to keep my 2019 CTR!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/22 10:21 a.m.
kb58 said:

And one big reason why I don't: I couldn't get past the Fast and Furious look. Then there's the question of what demographic loves the look and can afford it. Yes, maybe in 20 years it'll be worth $200K. Okay.

I you think thats F&F, I wonder what you think of the previous version!

David S. Wallens
8/11/22 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Also, IRL, the flares don't jump out at you. Think more E46 M3 vs. E30 M3. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/22 11:11 a.m.

Definitely a big stylistic departure from the last version-both inside and outside.

You're right about the flares-in the original press release I thought it didn't have any!

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
8/11/22 11:17 a.m.

That looks good! Though personally I still think it could be lowered a bit laugh

Just think about how nice that dash would look without a silly screen tacked on top of it.

David S. Wallens
8/11/22 11:34 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

I just spent some time in the latest Civic Si. The screen location just feels natural. It might look tacked on in the photos but, from behind the wheel, it works. (At least it works for me.)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 11:52 a.m.

Not going to lie, I was not expecting this list, and the list is compelling from start to finish.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/22 11:53 a.m.

100% improvement over the previous generation's looks.

IKR
IKR New Reader
8/11/22 12:49 p.m.

Nice revisions and much better looking but I'm waiting to see what the real world prices at the dealers will be.

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
8/11/22 2:16 p.m.

I was looking at a variety of track car possibilities, but as it gets time to make a decision (And now that the new CTR has been revealed) I'm thinking this car is at the top of my list. The only two cars still realistically in the running are a GR86 or a Caterham 7.  I have a year-ish before I'm ready to put money on something.  What will it be?  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/11/22 2:49 p.m.

When I win the lotto, I'm going to buy one and do bad things at a rallycross with it.

DRSZone
DRSZone GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/11/22 3:07 p.m.

4 doors make it fail to me.  but I am sure it will create much happiness for someone.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/22 3:08 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Slippery :

Also, IRL, the flares don't jump out at you. Think more E46 M3 vs. E30 M3. 

Editorial Director, Grassroots Motorsports & Classic Motorsports

It is funny how the mind's eye works, I think the E46 glares are gaudy huge while the E30 is much more subtle.  I wonder if this is because box flares pull the whole fender out.

VTECracer35
VTECracer35
8/11/22 3:50 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Can't wait to get mine! It's going to see LOTS of track time!! (As it should!!)

David S. Wallens
8/11/22 5:29 p.m.

In reply to VTECracer35 :

Congrats and totally jelly. What color? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/11/22 9:17 p.m.

I need one reason - it's a cool car.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
8/12/22 6:37 a.m.

I gotta say, subtle is not the first word that comes to mind...

Much better than the last one though, and I'd be happy to own one!

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
8/12/22 1:48 p.m.

Want one sure but... since they won't be available at anywhere near sticker price and getting gouged $10K-$20K for a market value adjustment (which, the market will admittedly bear) means it's pretty much just another piece of unobtanium.

Looks like a fun car though.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/12/22 2:03 p.m.

Looks way better than the previous  car. Sadly  still 4 doors.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/22 3:23 p.m.

I'm starting to think I really want one of these (new Civic Type R).

Admittedly, this picture:

Is making me think I want a TLX Type S.  Especially in the 130R White.  Too bad they'll be unobtainium/ADM'd to the moon.  If I could get one for the actual price I'd think I'd actually get one...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/22 5:14 p.m.
Appleseed said:

100% improvement over the previous generation's looks.

This!!!  Honda has never had a car that made me really want one.  There is no arguing that they are good if not great cars but to me there has always been something missing. I can not put my finger on it. They just don't inspire me for some reason.    

Now that said I have not driven a modern Honda or Acura so maybe it is time to change that.   For those that have what is it about these cars?   Are they more than the sum of there parts?   Do they inspire confidence on track?   I know they are formidable track cars as there was a team racing them back in the late 2000s that was regularly winning. I think it was the HART team if I remember. They were racing Civics.  I don't know if they are still around but back then they were a top tear in the amateur endurance world. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/12/22 5:37 p.m.
QuikMcshifterson said:

Want one sure but... since they won't be available at anywhere near sticker price and getting gouged $10K-$20K for a market value adjustment (which, the market will admittedly bear) means it's pretty much just another piece of unobtanium.

Dealer I bought my last Honda from told me MSRP + $4,000 since I'm a previous customer otherwise add $5,000.   

I'm guessing MSRP is $39,995 + freight + $4,000 + sales tax takes it to $50,000.  I'm in lust but don't want to spend that.   They are waiting for my $500 deposit- might be a year as I was #6 on the list.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eutfFg9p4Nur3HEYAAeFN9G0NnYWiPXXx5AFvKVkFDPWU7VCVCCCufeUGaUpHbHy