Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/18 10:57 a.m.

With my 90 on the road & July around the corner, getting the a/c working is probably a good idea. I have access to a vacuum pump, gauges, and someone who knows how to use them, so that’s covered. 

My concern is the unknown: the system has been open to the elements for about a year, but I have no idea if it was working at that time or already broken. Is there any testing I can/should do, or any parts I should preemptively replace, before we draw it down & add Freon/dye?

wae
wae SuperDork
6/26/18 11:38 a.m.

I was advised to give it some compressed air to check for leaks and to make sure that the compressor clutch enagages.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
6/26/18 11:41 a.m.

I believe conventional wisdom says you should replace your receiver/dryer any time the system has been exposed to air. In fixing the A/C in my RX7 this spring I also replaced every easy-to-reach o-ring and the two schrader valves. After testing with dye, it turned out my big leak was from the high side valve not sealing completely.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/26/18 12:18 p.m.
Armitage said:

I believe conventional wisdom says you should replace your receiver/dryer any time the system has been exposed to air. In fixing the A/C in my RX7 this spring I also replaced every easy-to-reach o-ring and the two schrader valves. After testing with dye, it turned out my big leak was from the high side valve not sealing completely.

This. Id also do a can of the flush through all the components while it's apart. If you get metal, compressor is bad. Do a new orifice tube oe expansion valve while youre in there

Pete Gossett
6/26/18 12:38 p.m.

Thanks everyone, time to order more parts!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/18 1:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
Armitage said:

This. Id also do a can of the flush through all the components while it's apart. If you get metal, compressor is bad. Do a new orifice tube oe expansion valve while youre in there

As a just in case, does the parts car have a condensor?

Pete Gossett
6/26/18 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I’m not very well versed in a/c terminology, the condenser is the radiator-type thing? I have a couple spares of those(with what I think is the accumulator attached). 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/26/18 1:19 p.m.

Condenser is in front of the radiator 

Dirtydog
6/26/18 1:22 p.m.

Roger that.    IFO radiator.

Dirtydog
6/26/18 1:24 p.m.

I just danced the Tango with the AC in my Volvo.  You learn pretty quick what you can and can't do, unless you got access to the right tools. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pKV6AgosNCV3CbmokR32X4Z9BjhEbgxLKXm6VYuJi9SRGFRANauPQHwIQ3N4Bsqx