1 2 3 4 ... 52
jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
7/5/17 9:59 a.m.

You know, other than the nose damage, that thing appears to be in pretty good shape. Have you considered fixing it and flipping for profit?

Although I do support your cheap race car idea.

Project86fox
Project86fox New Reader
7/5/17 10:13 a.m.

I had a c4 vette with the 4 speed and 350 tpi, hated it. Lol

I wanted to so a c4rt, but ended up selling instead. I regret not doing it. It ran good, was a fairly low mileage car at like 60,000 and it looked real nice. It just wasn't a mustang.

I really want an lsx vette.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/5/17 11:34 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: You know, other than the nose damage, that thing appears to be in pretty good shape. Have you considered fixing it and flipping for profit? Although I do support your cheap race car idea.

yes, but.... the car isn't a clean as it appears in pics/vid. to get the body right on this thing it would be a small fortune and a full respray. figure in it would have a rebuilt title, resale value would be at or under $10k. so, no hard feelings regarding ripping it apart by whatever means are required.

Go_Gators
7/5/17 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Lof8:Go Gators! based on your age in your profile we were probably there at the same time! I graduated dec 2006, mech eng.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
7/6/17 7:55 a.m.

Might want to look up Cletus McFarland's "Leroy" if you haven't done so already. It has been an ongoing project of his for a while now. I think it is supercharged now with a cage.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/6/17 8:20 a.m.

I just rebuilt a c5 with similar damage. I would post a link to the build thread but photobucket killed it.

What part of Jacksonville are you from. I live in Neptune Beach.

Go_Gators
7/6/17 11:35 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I just rebuilt a c5 with similar damage. I would post a link to the build thread but photobucket killed it. What part of Jacksonville are you from. I live in Neptune Beach.

Hmmm. your name is escaping me, but looking at your profile, I think I know who you are! have you autocrossed with JAXSOLO/SCCA off and on, last time with a lemons or chump sedan that lost a caliper on hecksher??? sending you a message.

Go_Gators
7/6/17 11:41 a.m.

so... contrary to what I have read regarding filing for a rebuilt title, you cant make an appointment to go over the paperwork. you submit the paperwork and fee (of course) then await a phone call..... so I submitted and paid. and now, I wait. I asked the nice lady at the counter, "generally, how long does the review process take?" I am going to take her response to mean, next week at best, "it varies, I wouldn't even try to guess."

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/6/17 12:07 p.m.

Yep, the DMV is so much fun. When I had to get my motorcycle inspected, it took a month afterwards for the title to arrive. Went to get the tag and they charged me a late fee, since it had been more than 30 days since I bought it. Didn't matter that the state DMV was the holdup. So you may hear in a week or a month, maybe more.

Back to the car, should be a fun ride when you are done. Bonus for the heads and cam find.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/6/17 4:15 p.m.

It normally takes the jacksonville office 10 to 14 days to call for your inspection appointment.

Go_Gators
7/7/17 6:08 a.m.

So, I am surely not done with the rebuilt title process, but feel the need to apologize for my tone in this thread regarding FL DMV. About 2-hours after dropping my paperwork off I had an email indicating they had a few issues with my submission. they needed a signed bill of sale, my copart bill of sale wasn't signed. cpoart is mailing me one. they needed a picture of the rear of the vehicle, I had given them two sets (before repair and after) viewing from the front passenger side and the drivers side. they also wanted receipts for the replacement front bumper and fender, which of course I didn't replace. after batting a couple emails back and forth, I got a phone call from the office!!! the nice lady on the other end was confused, apparently somewhere in their process before her someone tosses the 'after repair' photos and she only sees the before photos so it was news to her that a bumper cover and fender werenot currently installed. I explained that I fabricated brackets to hold the radiator and repaired lighting/horn, removed the loose bits and had no intention of wasting money on cosmetic repairs. It was at this point I knew this discussion could go one way or the other... Turns out since no parts were purchased (bumper/fender) she didn't need receipts and could consider the car repaired. She was even a fan of what I was doing, which I explained was to have a cheap (she obviously knows what I paid) and fast beater to toy around in. She was considered that the lack of front aero might be a problem on the track, to which I certainly agreed and said its something I might fabricate when a cage is put in. Obviously, I didn't disclose that many other body sections were about to go missing! So, I need to drop off the signed bill of sale, then they will schedule me an inspection appt. She confirmed that I can get a 10-day temp plate in order to drive the vehicle to their office! how about that!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/7/17 8:32 a.m.

Yay!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/17 12:53 p.m.

Every once in a while you find the person in a large government bureaucracy that has figured out that if you treat the public you interact with just a little nicer than they're expecting, you'll be loved for it. nice going. bring her a plant.

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/10/17 3:29 p.m.

Cant wait to see where this goes!

Go_Gators
7/12/17 9:06 a.m.

So, I turned in the signed bill of sale and my paperwork package for application of rebuild title has been approved! I still have to let them physically inspect it and apply a rebuilt decal on it, pretty sure it goes on the door jam. A panel that will not be retained, so I will have to do something about that.... Anyway, I also got a 10-day temp tag and I already had it insured so its officially street legal!!!! I got out on the 4-laner yesterday and was able to run it through the gears for the first time. wow. Car ran great, 3k-6k rpm are amazing. Will probably get some cruising video this weekend. Needless to say for those who saw the first video, but during the thirty minute test drive I never once considered powering on the radio. I did discover a couple issues I need to resolve. First is the front tire I hadn’t replaced had some road debris stuck in the inside bead which caused a significant vibration at about 50mph and up. That tire might have to be replaced as well, its at a tire shop today... the short throw shifter that's in the car makes it feel like 1st, 3rd and 5th are all in the same slot/throw. I was super unsure and had to be very carefully with every 3rd gear shift. That’s not going to be acceptable for autox/track. Otherwise, awesome. Its looking probable that I will get'er on the dyno (eddy current) next week sometime.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/12/17 10:19 a.m.

Moar pitchers!

Go_Gators
7/12/17 11:33 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: Moar pitchers!

trust me, nobody needs more pics of it in its current state!

Go_Gators
7/12/17 3:39 p.m.

drove the LS1-KART donor some more today, now that the tire is fixed. it faired well at highway speeds, still some steering wheel wobble but, it has been put in a ditch hard. so my expectations for the front tires/wheels is low. otherwise ran great! had a friend capture a clip of the car pulling away.

link to short video clip

Txsilverbalt
Txsilverbalt New Reader
7/12/17 3:40 p.m.
Go_Gators wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: Moar pitchers!
trust me, nobody needs more pics of it in its current state!

I beg to differ

Mr_Merkur
Mr_Merkur New Reader
7/12/17 5:17 p.m.

Pics are always good.

Yeah, between you and Pete Gossett, I've really got to go out and get me one of these. That's a glorious engine note; I'd love to hear her at full cry on the highway! Got any tunnels near you? :)

Go_Gators
7/16/17 12:54 p.m.

made it into work a Thursday and Friday. a coworker (background) has an example of what mine (foreground) looked like many many hard years ago....

Go_Gators
7/16/17 12:58 p.m.

well that didn't work... (pic)

Go_Gators
7/16/17 1:01 p.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/17/17 10:25 a.m.

How much is a replacement nose cone for these cars?

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/17 6:52 a.m.

If you think it's fast now, wait until you have all 4 wheels pointed roughly the same way. Years ago I toyed with a C3. I took it to a reputable alignment shop just on a lark. Ho Lee Crap! It felt like it had a fresh engine after that.

1 2 3 4 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ru5tmtV4SpHvLN9ojsuxEGJQj6kxYVnj7mEyqY0IcbixWA5U5rJ5W9iI050bf3nY