1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/21 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's a mix tape.  The sound quality is supposed to suck.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/21 7:56 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

You should have used Type IV tapes.  I made my sweet mix tapes using those on a Nakamichi tape deck and a NAD CD player as the source.  No sound quality issues.

TVR Scott
12/3/21 11:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You take your mix tapes seriously.  I respect that.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/11/21 8:22 p.m.

someone i know very well was being dumb with their friends listening to music and let the car overheat and now we have a smothie in the oil pan, so that happened.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/11/21 8:42 p.m.
Lil_Stampie said:

someone i know very well was being dumb with their friends listening to music and let the car overheat and now we have a smothie in the oil pan, so that happened.

that's kinda the opposite variety of stupid to what I did in my first car.  Engine worked fine, never overheated... but could never keep a headunit/speakers alive, so I strapped a mini-boombox (ask your dad) into the rear seat.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
12/11/21 10:15 p.m.

I hate to tell you, but you're very likely going to need an engine. M54s do not tolerate overheating well at all, and the head bolts tend to rip the thread out of the block when the head warps. Fortunately, they're a pretty common engine and should be available cheaply. Plus it gives you the opportunity to do all the resealing jobs that are miserable with the engine in the car.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/21 10:23 p.m.
Lil_Stampie said:

Your dad and his friends indecision

Stampie
12/11/21 10:48 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Hmmm no.  So the story is on Sunday we went and got gas.  On Tuesday he wanted to take it to the store but I said that I didn't want to drive it much until we got done fixing it.  Wednesday he was supposed to be removing the air intake parts so we could work on it when I got home.   Instead he sat in the car idling with his friends for at least an hour.  His thought was that they weren't "driving" it.  So yeah.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/21 11:06 p.m.

Was it the fan clutch failing that caused it to overheat? I know that was a common issue on the prior gen (E36). I'm sorry to hear about the overheating, I've been enjoying this build so far.

Stampie
12/11/21 11:24 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Not sure as it has no compression now to even start.  The build will continue just delayed.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/21 1:41 a.m.

Ouch. You should swap a Jag V12 into it for both the reliability & performance. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
12/12/21 7:24 a.m.

If nothing in the cooling system exploded, it's probably the fan clutch. That said, the whole cooling system is basically a 100k mile service item on those cars, and can be done in an afternoon with maybe $500 worth of OE parts (I believe FCP Euro has a kit; do not use non-OE parts here). When you pull the engine it will be easy to replace everything. Don't forget the two plastic tubes that run low along the block - they like to fail around 200k miles, and are a royal pain to replace once the engine is in the car.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/12/21 7:55 a.m.

Well, berkeley. 

Anything I can do from here?

Stampie
12/12/21 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I was thinking I could leave him with you at Christmas. You could put him to work until he pays off the new engine.

Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy
Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy PowerDork
12/12/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This is a perfect opportunity to do the LS swap yes

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/12/21 9:38 a.m.
Stampie said:

I was thinking I could leave him with you at Christmas. You could put him to work until he pays off the new engine.

Do you take trades? Maybe you can motivate mine out of this procrastination funk shes in.

(I can have runion keep his eyes open for an engine for cheap if i can figure out what they came in)

Stampie
12/12/21 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy :

My first react was no but then I started thinking about it. Maybe if I take the car from him.

I looked on car-part and there's several within driving distance and with warranty.  Prices weren't unreasonable.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/21 9:58 a.m.

Well Lil Stampie, you got your first lesson on "pay to play".  Time to roll up the sleeves, dig in, and have fun learning something along the way.  And trust me, "pay to play" stays with you a long time.  Just ask Dad wink.

Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy
Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy PowerDork
12/13/21 11:21 a.m.

So, add this one to the list of cars, on the Stampie compound, that need a new engine.  Next to the Saab Wagon.

Stampie
12/13/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Indy "What the Heck am I doing?" Guy :

Trust me I remind him of that several times a day.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/13/21 4:22 p.m.

ZHP Auction in Atlanta Thursday

ZHP 330i

Its got some miles but there is a ton of stuff you could sell to zero out the purchase.

TVR Scott
12/13/21 9:03 p.m.

Aren't teens supposed to drive crappy old cars?

You know, like a mid 80's Buick Riviera...

Stampie
12/13/21 9:35 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I spent more for that Buick than the BMW.  Plus I was given an 84 Volvo for my first car.  Automatic ... I swore I wouldn't do that to Lil Stampie.  Well not the Volvo part but the automatic part.

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/21 7:27 a.m.
Stampie
12/17/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Those are pretty but aren't the cats part of that?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KehmqREqoZEd6kmGe1ZapC80szTCHY9jy3bkXLNqCqMgsIHU8itXJgFjNar5F5Vb